Super Contributor

Anyone with experience in Claire Weekes' Anxiety reducing techniques?

I just finished "Hope and Help for Your Nerves" and I am still at a loss of what to do. I don't understand how to Face, Accept, Float, & Let time pass. Can someone please explain how to do this? I have been an anxious mess for many years so this is very perplexing to me. Thank you.

Frequent Contributor

Re: Anyone with experience in Claire Weekes' Anxiety reducing techniques?

Hi, I am right there with you wondering what the heck she means. That book is very highly recommended, but I found it to be a bit odd at times. I believe she wrote it quite a while ago...and I think she's deceased?? Not that it makes any difference!

Anyway, I have severe anxiety and OCD. I actually just got back from my therapist who told me when I started to have a panic attack, to focus instead on my 5 senses. Look carefully and pay attention to my surroundings. Birds, trees, noises, etc., etc. Sounds much easier than it is. When the panic hits, I'm a mess. Can't function at all. No fun.

I would give just about anything to be able to be 'normal' and not an anxious/freaked out mess which I am about 100% of the time.

Super Contributor

On 5/15/2014 Hearts4Me said:

Hi, I am right there with you wondering what the heck she means. That book is very highly recommended, but I found it to be a bit odd at times. I believe she wrote it quite a while ago...and I think she's deceased?? Not that it makes any difference!

Anyway, I have severe anxiety and OCD. I actually just got back from my therapist who told me when I started to have a panic attack, to focus instead on my 5 senses. Look carefully and pay attention to my surroundings. Birds, trees, noises, etc., etc. Sounds much easier than it is. When the panic hits, I'm a mess. Can't function at all. No fun.

I would give just about anything to be able to be 'normal' and not an anxious/freaked out mess which I am about 100% of the time.

You and I sound a lot alike. I have a bit of OCD myself along with a little Social Anxiety. My DH tries to help saying things like "just don't worry, there's nothing to worry about" or "how is worry going to help or make things better" but that doesn't help either because I honestly don't know how to stop. At this point it is an automatic reaction to everything that doesn't go according to my nice little plan or expectations of how things should be. Like yesterday for instance, I got some unexpected news that through me into a tailspin. I flipped out and it wasn't anything major at all just unexpected. I don't know how to handle myself or unexpected situations. It is a daily struggle.

Super Contributor

HEARTS4ME - Would you say my 'flipping out' is a panic attack??? I am unsure exactly what all that entails. I know one time at the dentist office I started panicking for no reason at all. I am not scared of being at the dentist but I began to tear up and my heart was racing. It was awful. That has only happened to me once but 'flipping out' over tiny insignificant things (or anything in general) is a daily occurrence.

Frequent Contributor

AlleyCat,

Oh, I feel for you. My life is a daily struggle, too, and it's all because of my own stupid thoughts. Get so mad at myself, but zero control.

I'm guessing that if you had a true panic attack (rather than just 'flipping out') then you would know it. They are practically the worst thing imaginable. You think you may be dying. Crazy racing heart, shaking, panic, blank mind, can't function...just sheer terror. I have no idea how to stop them. I am my own worst enemy because I have no control over this at the moment.

Sadly, things have been getting worse for me as my son is graduating from H.S. in 2 weeks, and I am freaking out! Yes, of course I am crazy proud of him...but he's my baby, and I will be facing an empty nest in August when he heads to college. Again, logically I am so thrilled for him, but the anxiety paralyzes me from being happy. Shameful.

Just know you aren't alone in this. Believe me, my doctor's office today was jammed with fellow sufferers.

Hang in there.

Valued Contributor

Hi Hearts! At lunch here and just stopped by and "saw" you!

Major anxiety (work) here - have to sit as a witness with a young student in a few with CPS

- called by princicpal this AM - horrible.......

also, son is interviewing out of state so I'm feeling your pain...... his interview went VERY well.... happy dance for him, not so much for the momma......

Talk soon!

Respected Contributor

Deep belly breathing....that's what works for me...and walking....I walk a lot!

Honored Contributor

I'm not familiar with that author. I wanted to suggest a couple of things that helped me significantly with anxiety, obsessive thoughts, and also with chronic daily migraine and pain.

For me, seeing a good therapist was essential. He taught me how to do biofeedback, to the point that I can slow down my heartbeat/pulse very quickly, calm my anxiety, gently bring my mind back to a more peaceful state.

It's better to do this with a therapist, because they can monitor your responses to be sure you've learned the process thoroughly. I suppose you can try using videos to learn it by yourself. I agree with straykatz, because the deep belly breathing is an important part of calming your body and mind.

The book "How to Stop Worrying and Start Living" by Dale Carnegie is wonderfully practical. It's old, but it's still in use and his techniques are used by many modern-day gurus because his principles are sound.

The technique you describe in the original post might be the same as "guided imagery." I learned this practice from my therapist in association with a form of self-hypnosis, and it's really natural and effective. Do some Internet searches, find the videos on this, and see if they help you.

I send my best wishes to all of you. Keep this in mind: You're never alone in this, and we can be wonderful support for one another.{#emotions_dlg.wub}

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Valued Contributor

I've had panic attacks in the past and it is horrible. I think when it says to Face means that you face the fact that you are having an attack. Accept means don't try to stop it. Float means to go with the feeling and let it go by and Let Time Pass means to wait and let it be. For instance if you have an attack in a store don't just run out. Face it, accept it, let it run it's course and then in time you will feel fine. I never read the book from this women but have heard of it.

I bought a book called Triumph Over Fear and I think that helped me the most. When I was first diagnosed I thought I had something wrong in my head. My doctor gave me xanax and said to take it for a month and see how I feel. I went back and said I felt great, very few attacks. Then he said I had to go off the medication but he wanted to prove to me that there was really nothing physically wrong. He told me the first time I saw him that he suspected panic attacks. So I got this book and it really helped. I do have xanax here when I feel I really need it but don't take it on a daily basis.

I had a panic attack in a store last year and just stood there, did some deep breathing and it just disappeared. It's when you worry that it gets worse and if you leave then you worry about another one the next time. Once you face it then it does get better. I use to get really lightheaded and felt like fainting. The more you think about having one the more you'll have them. The deep breathing works well.

Respected Contributor

Good advice here. We all can benefit from learning about handling worry and anxiety.Smiley Happy

••• Please adopt don't shop ••• Save a life adopt a pet •••