Contributor

A hot yoga place opened close to my house. Has anyone done hot yoga before and if so, can you tell me a little about it.

I am 61 and am fairly active.

Thanks

Trusted Contributor

I've only been to one class and it was tough! I couldn't get through all the moves but the instructor encouraged me to stay in the room and rejoin when I could. I will say that after I got home and took a shower, I have never felt lighter. All that sweat must weigh a lot!

Respected Contributor

If U like to be in a small, cramped room with smelly, sweaty bodies and no fresh airSmiley Sad Not for me. If U R 61 U have your own heat issues. Try another yogaSmiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Get a 2-week pass & see how you like it. I had 2weeks w/ a certified Bikram Yoga facility. Same 26 poses, 1.5hr session. By the end of my 2wks, I decided I was bored & it took too much time. Definitely you have to adjust your water/food intake...I lost several pounds.

Regular Contributor
oh Dotty - please do yourself a favor and try out hot yoga for yourself to see if it's for you or not! about 3 years ago my husband and I tried out a couple of classes. We liked it well enough - but not so much so that we wanted to pursue it. It just didn't interest us enough to continue - Fast forward to now - I do hot yoga 5-6 times a week and LOVE IT. It has become part of my life that I don't want to be without. Each person has to find out for themselves what - if anything - hot yoga can offer. For me it has been balance, challenge, feeling at peace and having attained a great achievement, personal growth, learning how to "quiet" my mind, my body feels loose and flexible - also sleek and slim - in a nutshell it's the best workout I have ever done! You get cardio as well as strength training (using your own body weight). Now that being said - you will only get out of it what you put into it. But please - try it out and see if it's for you! Namaste. Olive
Honored Contributor

I've been doing hot yoga once or twice a week for about 2 years. I am 63. It has helped me to be in my best shape since my mid-40's.

Honored Contributor
On 5/8/2014 Skylands said:

If U like to be in a small, cramped room with smelly, sweaty bodies and no fresh airSmiley Sad Not for me. If U R 61 U have your own heat issues. Try another yogaSmiley Happy

Thanks for being frank and honest about it...it appears to be what I thought.

No way would I want to be in a room with people who have worked all day!

Occasional Contributor

We had one that opened up near our home and gave away a free month trial. I went several times and had no yoga experience, which I think was an issue for me. It was extremely popular and we were jammed in the room, so much so that on one of my last visits the guy next to me kept dripping sweat on me. It was extremely hot, several times in the beginning I would have to stop to catch my breath. People swear by it, but it was just not for me. I think I would have been happier with just a regular yoga class.

Contributor

Thank you so much for your responses. Olive/LuLu, I am going to give it a try, you can pay by class so I will take a couple to see if I like.

Take care and thanks again

Contributor

Hi

Olive/Lulu, I just want to let you know that I have been doing hot yoga since May when I posted and you gave me your opinions.

I absolutely love it and am going about 3 times a week.

Hope you read this, Thanks so much!!!!!!

Take care and Namaste!!!!!