Esteemed Contributor

Anyone familiar with Aspergers?

I'm a caregiver for an 8 yo boy..he has aspergers..all I can say is OMG! I need advice, not sure I can take care of him. Tia!

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Anyone familiar with Aspergers?

I know what it is, but never really interacted with a child that had it.

The Wiki page has some really good info. HTH

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asperger_syndrome

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asperger_syndrome

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Regular Contributor

My son has Aspergers, he is sixteen years old. I can tell you that raising him has been a very trying journey, however there is hope. The early teen years were really hard, but this year we have noticed a great improvement in his demeanor. There is alot of info and sites on Aspergers, myautismteam . com is a good one to connect with others with similar issues. Gosh ask me anything you want, I am totally honest about the problems, and I will help you in any way I can.

Honored Contributor

I do know a little child about that same age with this. I know he does not want to be hugged or touched very much. There are varying degrees, but he does okay in familiar settings. He does go to school without problems.
Esteemed Contributor

On 4/23/2014 dsky said:

My son has Aspergers, he is sixteen years old. I can tell you that raising him has been a very trying journey, however there is hope. The early teen years were really hard, but this year we have noticed a great improvement in his demeanor. There is alot of info and sites on Aspergers, myautismteam . com is a good one to connect with others with similar issues. Gosh ask me anything you want, I am totally honest about the problems, and I will help you in any way I can.

Thanks dsky..I'm still not sure I can take care of him. I feel for his grandparents, they have the 2 boys, 8 and 9. I've only spent one day with the 8 yo and I was worn out. He's very hyper too, volatile, exhausting. His older brother is a doll..what a shame! What is autism anyway?? Thanks to ALL for the advice..! I am sure I will be asking!! I am so glad your son is doing better, thats great news!!!

-- Mae West
Honored Contributor

while all kids with ASD are not the same, Asperger kids will have some common traits:

they thrive in routine schedules; predictability; if you must change his routine such as the time he will eat lunch one day, give him notice as far in advance as possible....

tendency for sensory overload: too much noise, movement, lights can be too much and cause a real overload; he might "meltdown" or get upset...designate a safe space" for him where he can go when things are just too much for a bit

I worked with ASD - Autism Spectrum Disorders students for decades and with Aspergers since it was first acknowledged in the 90's.......I think you will benefit from caring for this young man....you will learn a lot from him!

Trusted Contributor

Where are the parents of this child?

Esteemed Contributor

On 4/23/2014 TexasMom1 said:

Where are the parents of this child?

They gave up rights and the grandparents are adopting. So sad. They have a lovely, happy home now, something they didn't have before. More and more grandparents are raising their grandchildren these days, whether its drug use, alcoholism or abandonment.

-- Mae West
Esteemed Contributor

On 4/23/2014 lovesrecess said:

while all kids with ASD are not the same, Asperger kids will have some common traits:

they thrive in routine schedules; predictability; if you must change his routine such as the time he will eat lunch one day, give him notice as far in advance as possible....

tendency for sensory overload: too much noise, movement, lights can be too much and cause a real overload; he might "meltdown" or get upset...designate a safe space" for him where he can go when things are just too much for a bit

I worked with ASD - Autism Spectrum Disorders students for decades and with Aspergers since it was first acknowledged in the 90's.......I think you will benefit from caring for this young man....you will learn a lot from him!

Yesterday they put him in a safe room at school. Today I got him ready for school and he was doing great. His grandmother called me later and they were sending him home with a therapist, since he was rowdy in class. The therapist said they aren't taking care of him correctly as he's in a special needs school. I am hoping he can return to school. This is so stressful for his gp's!! I want to help and hoping I will be needed next week. So glad there are women here who can give me advice. Have you heard that gluten can cause these problems?? I suggested he try going gluten free..it couldn't hurt. Thanks so much for your help..I am sure you will be hearing from me!

-- Mae West
Esteemed Contributor

On 4/23/2014 dsky said:

I will be in touch..thanks!

-- Mae West