Respected Contributor

For those over 40, 50, 60++ How did you avoid weight gain through these years?

My mom is in her 60's and I am in my 40's - My mom has managed to gain about 25 pounds between 45 and 55 and she is trying to get it off now and doing a great job.

I would like to AVOID this happening to me however, I know hormones take over.

I eat VERY healthy and have been a healthy weight for about 20 years now. I workout 6 days a week with Cardio and weights.

Will eating healthy and within calorie range while doing weight baring exercises & cardio help me to NOT gain all that weight through the years? My mom DID NOT do any exercise and she feels that was where she messed up, she is now trying to exercise "most" days.

Just wondering how you avoided the weight gain and was able to maintain your shape.

TIA to all those that respond. have a blessed day.

Honored Contributor

Re: For those over 40, 50, 60++ How did you avoid weight gain through these years?

When you find the secret let me know!!

I am not a big eater and have been trying to lose 10-12 lbs for a couple of years!! I need to get moving but this winter or any winter it's to cold and snowy out to walk but now that the weather if getting better I look forward to walking again, but honestly I walk a lot every spring - fall and don't lose much weight.

Regular Contributor

Re: For those over 40, 50, 60++ How did you avoid weight gain through these years?

I think you answered your own question If you are able to continue your great habits as you age you'll be in great shape. Watch what you eat and keep moving!

Trusted Contributor

I lost about 20 lbs when I was 50 years old by hiking 4 to 5 days a week & that included hills....I could maintain it & eat healthy, but have some leyway in my snacks...

I was walking outside before that, but only lost when I included hills...

now that I have a bad knee & foot I had to stop 6 months ago....what a change that has made, some of the weight has come back on....

I think either you have to be real strict in your diet or exercise with a good cardio kick to your routine

Honored Contributor

The same way you avoid it when you are 30. Moderate excersize and healthy eating. According to my doctor if we want to maintain our weight we need at least 30 minutes of aerobic exersize (like biking or walking or swimming) 3 times a week and if we want to lose weight, we need 30 minutes of exersize 6 days a week. Also, you have to accept that some weight gain is a normal part of the aging process. At 50, it's perfectly reasonable, normal to weigh 10 pounds more than we weighed in high school. Perhaps even 12. I think a lot of women won't accept that and they make themselves miserable fighting a war that doesn't even exist.

Respected Contributor

On 4/22/2014 fallsnow56 said:

I think you answered your own question{#emotions_dlg.biggrin} If you are able to continue your great habits as you age you'll be in great shape. Watch what you eat and keep moving!

This is my hope - I just worry about all my hard work for all these years will be lost as I get older, I just hate to see that and feel like it may be out of my control. I have always ate healthy and avoided processed foods (of course we all have splurge days and holidays) but for the most part I eat oats, fruits (not to much), veggies and lean protein sources. I work out over an hour 6 days a week and have done that for 20+ years now.

I guess that's what I was "hoping" to hear - that women that eat healthy and exercise with cardio and weights are able to maintain their weight w/out gaining as much as they say we gain as we age.

Respected Contributor

I didn't really avoid weight gain, but have managed to take it off most of the time by keeping my daily caloric intake low, avoiding fast foods, and limiting snacks. Daily work out and swimming also help. I wish all who desire to keep trim the best of luck in your efforts.

Honored Contributor

There are no guarantees but I'd say keep doing what you are doing and be very aware of your health - how you feel, changes, etc. Some women breeze through w/o any real problems, others live a nightmare. Hormones can go out of whack & you can develop vitamin/mineral deficiencies. Catching and correcting things like this before they get bad will help.

I was in the best shape of my life, doing weight training, cardio, eating very healthy when perimenopause started. It came with other health problems (that doctors did not find) at the same time and my lifestyle was destroyed. I could not afford the only doctors who might have helped because they did not accept insurance. I felt horrible, suffered extreme fatigue (could not get out of bed at times), and gained weight while eating healthy & working out. Eventually I was not able to workout very often.

Years and massive amounts of research later, I am healing my body. Doctors have not been very helpful at all.

Respected Contributor

On 4/22/2014 willdob3 said:

There are no guarantees but I'd say keep doing what you are doing and be very aware of your health - how you feel, changes, etc. Some women breeze through w/o any real problems, others live a nightmare. Hormones can go out of whack & you can develop vitamin/mineral deficiencies. Catching and correcting things like this before they get bad will help.

I was in the best shape of my life, doing weight training, cardio, eating very healthy when perimenopause started. It came with other health problems (that doctors did not find) at the same time and my lifestyle was destroyed. I could not afford the only doctors who might have helped because they did not accept insurance. I felt horrible, suffered extreme fatigue (could not get out of bed at times), and gained weight while eating healthy & working out. Eventually I was not able to workout very often.

Years and massive amounts of research later, I am healing my body. Doctors have not been very helpful at all.

If you don't mind sharing - what happened after perimenopause? I have some symptoms of Adrenal Fatigue and I have been trying to take care of that on my own since dr's do not really recognize the Adrenal Fatigue, that's why I was wondering what Dr's kept missing on you, if you don't mind sharing Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

On 4/22/2014 StylishLady said:

I didn't really avoid weight gain, but have managed to take it off most of the time by keeping my daily caloric intake low, avoiding fast foods, and limiting snacks. Daily work out and swimming also help. I wish all who desire to keep trim the best of luck in your efforts.

Great job!! I know how hard it is to get weight off. your hard work paid off!!