Honored Contributor

I've noticed that EVOO is often touted as the "healthiest" cooking oil, but I can't stand the smell of olive oil --- or green olives! Can't do it!

What else is a good cooking oil option if olive oil is out of the question? It seems to change all the time!

Super Contributor

Re: HEALTHIEST COOKING OILS?

Macadamia nut oil and walnut oil are two other options. They may smoke at high heat, I use medium heat 90% of the time.

http://health.clevelandclinic.org/2012/05/heart-healthy-cooking-oils-101/

Honored Contributor

Coconut oil is best, IMHO.

Super Contributor

On 4/19/2014 willdob3 said:

Coconut oil is best, IMHO.

Agreed!
Honored Contributor

OO is really not that good to cook with. It is better in non-heated foods.

Honored Contributor

I use olive oil and coconut oil only; and olive oil is fine to cook and bake with. You just have to use the right one for the type of cooking you are doing. Also nut oils are good too. I stay away from canola, corn,vegetable. They cause inflammation in the body so I stay away. Also just read that the olive oil from the US is far better than the imported stuff which actually isn't 100% oil from the olive. Read the labels!!

Honored Contributor

I was also going to say Coconut Oil. It's good to use for high heat cooking too. I guess it depends on what you are using it for.

Contributor

Coconut Oil is best, but you best be careful using it in really high heat, Better to use it on lower heat and watch it. But it is one of the healthiest.

Super Contributor

For high-temperature cooking, use grapeseed oil (not to be confused with rapeseed oil!), as it has a high-temp smoke point and a clean, light taste.

Honored Contributor

Boy, that's an oxymoron. "Healthy" & "cooking oil" in the same breath. Can anything be MORE processed?