Valued Contributor

Omega-3 from Flaxseed: Any Recommendations?

Hi Everyone, Looking to switch things up and change from using an Omega from fish to one derived from flaxseed. I'm particularly interested in finding one that is smaller and easier to swallow than the bigger, fish oil supplements I've taken. Anything out there that's smaller? TIASmiley Happy
Honored Contributor

Re: Omega-3 from Flaxseed: Any Recommendations?

I put a few tablespoons of whole flax seeds in my food each day, and it also gives substantial fiber, if you get my drift. That could be another option.

As for a smaller capsule, you'll need to see how many "mg" (milligrams) you've been taking with the old capsules, and check the flax oil bottles for a smaller dosage. If you're in a store looking at them, and if the bottle isn't opaque, hold it up to the lights and see if you can eyeball the capsules inside.

Super Contributor

I've read that flaxseeds must be ground up before eating them.
Valued Contributor

On 4/19/2014 Tinkrbl44 said:

I put a few tablespoons of whole flax seeds in my food each day, and it also gives substantial fiber, if you get my drift. That could be another option.

As for a smaller capsule, you'll need to see how many "mg" (milligrams) you've been taking with the old capsules, and check the flax oil bottles for a smaller dosage. If you're in a store looking at them, and if the bottle isn't opaque, hold it up to the lights and see if you can eyeball the capsules inside.

Thanks, tinklr.Smiley Happy
Valued Contributor

Sundrops--I have whole flaxseed that I've added to foods, I've never read that it needs to always be ground??? Perhaps someone else can educate me? I'll go do some research. Thanks, sun.
Honored Contributor

I have always read that flaxseed must be ground (otherwise it just shoots through), and fresh--so don't keep it around for months. I use flax oil too in oatmeal, smoothies and other food. I buy it at Whole Foods and it has an orange label. Don't remember the brand! Some are more bitter than others. The one I use is good in oatmeal and makes it feel "rich" and buttery.

Honored Contributor

On 4/19/2014 Sooner said:

I have always read that flaxseed must be ground (otherwise it just shoots through), and fresh--so don't keep it around for months. I use flax oil too in oatmeal, smoothies and other food. I buy it at Whole Foods and it has an orange label. Don't remember the brand! Some are more bitter than others. The one I use is good in oatmeal and makes it feel "rich" and buttery.

This is news to me, too ..... where have you "always read" that flax seeds must be ground?

I buy a bag and then put them in a pour bottle and keep in the fridge. Occasionally I'll buy the ground, but I like the whole seeds better.

Respected Contributor

I just started using this again and I bought the ground from whole foods. The 365 brand. I haven't used in awhile so can't compare to others that I have used. I use it in smoothies and oatmeal.
Honored Contributor

Go over to HSN and look up Andrew Lessman. He only makes Vitamins. He donates a percentage of his Vitamins to 3rd World Countries.

Go over there and get your Vitamins. Unlike other places (i.e. Health Food stores) you can return them if the pill is too big or whatever issues you have.

Honored Contributor

On 4/19/2014 Tinkrbl44 said:
On 4/19/2014 Sooner said:

This is news to me, too ..... where have you "always read" that flax seeds must be ground?

I buy a bag and then put them in a pour bottle and keep in the fridge. Occasionally I'll buy the ground, but I like the whole seeds better.

Most nutrition experts recommend ground over whole flaxseed because the ground form is easier for your body to digest. Whole flaxseed may pass through your intestine undigested, which means you won't get all the benefits. --Mayo Clinic

I have read it in magazines like Clean Eating, Prevention, Weight Watchers, I suppose, because I have read a lot of health articles and the many many books I have read on healthy eating, I have heard it on television from health experts that are on the Today show and some cooking shows, etc. We laugh about it because for years my husband ate Uncle Sam cereal and the flax seeds were doing little good.

I can't give you specific volume and page citations, but it seems to be pretty common thinking FROM WHAT I'VE READ. . .