Valued Contributor

Anyone here follow a very strict diet? With little to no "cheating"?

Hi Everyone,

I would love to know if anyone here follows a very strict diet? Either on your own or on the advice of a nutritionist or a Dr.? I'm asking b/c I'm embarking on a weight loss journey that involves being extremely aware of calorie intake--something I've not done before to lose or maintain my weight. In the past I've done WW and that's worked well for me, but ALL foods can be eaten on that plan, as long as you count them. However, in really watching calories one must always think about the best option--getting the most "bang for your buck" calorie-wise, and thus, not all foods fit the plan.

Anyone follow a really strict eating plan? Either self-imposed or as directed by a doc?

TIA for any input, advice, or inspiration. {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone here follow a very strict diet? With little to no ""cheating""?

On 4/17/2014 glmama said:

Hi Everyone,

I would love to know if anyone here follows a very strict diet? Either on your own or on the advice of a nutritionist or a Dr.? I'm asking b/c I'm embarking on a weight loss journey that involves being extremely aware of calorie intake--something I've not done before to lose or maintain my weight. In the past I've done WW and that's worked well for me, but ALL foods can be eaten on that plan, as long as you count them. However, in really watching calories one must always think about the best option--getting the most "bang for your buck" calorie-wise, and thus, not all foods fit the plan.

Anyone follow a really strict eating plan? Either self-imposed or as directed by a doc?

TIA for any input, advice, or inspiration. {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Don't call the way I have been eating since the mid 1970's a diet. To me the work diet means losing weight and is usually meant by most to be a "temporary time frame". How and what I eat is I call and eating program. It involves putting only nutrient dense/low or no fat/no hydrogenated foods/complex carbohydrates/protein/fruits and vegetables and also try to eat everything as close to natural as possible.

Some call it being a lacto-ovo vegetarian as I eat no meat/fish or fowl, but have not excluded dairy products that fit my eating program. I did/do my own research and do not follow any particular program. I started this because when I turned 30 I felt old and I knew as I grew older how I felt would not get better without me making some changes. Information was not abundant back in those years so I spent a lot of time reading books by nutritionists and exercise physiologist that their studies showed what was the best fuel for a very active body.

hckynut(john)
Super Contributor

I do. I have been on a low glycemic, low carb diet for about 10 years. No bread, rice, grains sugar or anything with sugar. I eat only limited fruit. I eat only healthy. It is easy now. I feel good and I know it is good for my body. I would NEVER eat anything that was not clean fuel just for taste or because I wanted it. NEVER.

Honored Contributor

I've done WW and am a lifetime member. I also joined Calorie King and counted calories. I've done both WW and Calorie King at the same time.

WW is basically counting calories, just using points. When you think about it, any food can be eaten on a calorie counting diet too, but yes you would use a chunk of your calories. Same with points on WW. Yes you can eat anything but some things are going to cause you to use a big chunk of your points.

When I followed WW and counted calories, I found that when I had used my points, I had used my calories as well. For me it was the same, just a different avenue of getting there.

Good luck in whatever way you find that works for you and that you can follow. Right now I am following WW but the old 123 Success.

Super Contributor

I consider the way I eat a lifestyle choice for my health. I eat vegetables, meat(beef and pork only infrequently) cheese, fish and egg whites. I indulge in strawberries in the summer but eat no citrus fruits or fruits with a lot of sugar. My lunches are always large salads with a myriad of ingredients.

I have been eating this way for most of my lifetime. And I love Fage yogurt with fresh berries in season. I try and make my own salad dressings but always have on hand a low sugar dressing. I avoid rice, wheat flour and spaghetti and I don't eat cereal or bread of any kind.

I don't believe in diets. Someone once said that the first three letters in diets is die and I agree with that. And I would never be able to count calories, it would bore me to tears.

Have I cheated on this plan.....maybe a handful of times over the past forty years. However, I feel so guilty that I always gets back on track. I far prefer to go into a fitting room and fit into everything I carried in there, than the taste of any junk food.....

Super Contributor

I don't eat meat, fish, or poultry. Have never even tried them, and have no desire to. I'm 43 and very healthy. Calories are important, but so is eating real, whole foods. It's hard to find a proper food balance in today's world.

Regular Contributor

Thinking about a change as a 'change for life' vs. a diet really helped me change a number of things for the better. Along with this was to only try to change 1 thing at a time and knowing that it takes at least 30 days for a change to become a habit. Go slow and start by changing 1 thing that will be easiest for you. Give it time to become a habit and most of all give yourself credit, celebrate your accomplishments. It took years to develop all the bad habits we have and no one can expect to change them all overnight. Best of luck on your journey to a better life! Let us know what you choose to change and keep us update on your progress. Use this posting forum as a tool.

Honored Contributor

A diet is often referred to as the way someone chooses to eat. For instance, you can say someone eats a diet rich in proteins, or a diet full of fruits, etc. Diet doesn't always mean weightloss.

Honored Contributor

No. That went out the door 20 years ago. Weight loss experts don't even advise or recommend those old timey calorie counting diets and everyone knows that it's impossible to be 100% compliant on any diet. That's why ""diets"" per se don't work. Losing weight isn't even about calories alone. What you eat is more important than calorie count and the key to staying compliant on a diet is feeling full and eating a variety of healthy foods. You won't do that if you just count calories. Instead of doing what you ""think"" you should do; try joining WW for some professional guidance and advice.

Valued Contributor

Thanks, everyone, for your replies and for sharing your experiences.

While I WANT to make this way of eating my "way of life", I cannot deny that I am changing some ingrained habits that started a few years ago by "Dieting". I can't think of another word which means shedding lbs. through a certain way of eating. Yes, eventually it will hopefully be my way of life, but right now it is and DOES feel like a diet. {#emotions_dlg.crying}

I love hearing how you've all incorporated your eating plans into your life, whether through WW or, like Hckynut, just desiring to feel better. There is SO much more information out now than even 20 years ago.

I am what's referred to as a pescaterian--the only meat I eat is fish, so to speak. Years ago I adopted this way of eating b/c I desired to eat lower on the food chain, had read books for heart health about eating this way, and just desired to out run some of the poor health history in my family. Fast forward 20 years and I have gained weight and need some numbers to change. I need to turn some things around.