Frequent Contributor

Please I need advice - stomach issue

Everynight around the same time my stomach starts hurting and when I go to sleep I am up all night with discomfort (gas pain). I just e-mailed the doctor, he said he would order a prescription for this. What kind of medicine can help with this? Isn't this more of a diet issue? Does anyone have advice on this - I seem ok during the day, it just at night -it just so uncomfortable. It seems everything I take makes matters worse.

Honored Contributor

Re: Please I need advice - stomach issue

Sounds like gastric reflux. I went through something similar back when I was 100lbs heavier than I am now. I never had the classic hearburn symptoms; I would just get a terrible stomach ache when I laid down at night. My doc did prescribe an anti reflux med and that helped. Losing weight helped even more, after I lost 30lbs or so, the stomach pain went away and never returned. You should have have asked him what he was prescribing. I'm thinking an acid blocker.

Esteemed Contributor

My brother in law had these symptoms earlier this year. The doctor prescribed "acid reflux" meds. He kept having the problem. Long story, short, he ended up have 2 stents put in. His problem presented with upset stomach, gas, and heartburn. If this is an ongoing issue, I would have it checked out.....sooner than later.

All the best to you!

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

I would think a doctor would exam a patient before prescribing medication.

Heart problems and acid reflux can have similar symptoms.

Contributor

Sometimes gallbladder issues are worse when you lie down at night because you're usually digesting a bigger meal then. Does the pain radiated from the front to your back at all, between your shoulder blades?

Trusted Contributor

I would advise you to see a doctor and be examined thoroughly. It's hard to believe your doctor would prescribe based on an email. It could be something simple or something very serious.

It's always a victory for me when I remember why I entered a room.
Super Contributor

I agree with all the above advice and suggestions.. I have been struggling with stomach issues for a long time. I did have acid reflux and the RX is great. Also, I had an emergency gall bladder surgery about 2 years ago. Anyway, I was still getting bad stomach aches. I googled stuff and found the FODMAP diet. I absolutely agree you should see a Dr. But I can get my cramps under control when I adhere to this diet. Just a thought to see if this helps you in the long run. Good luck and let us know what happens.

Michelle

Frequent Contributor

It seems like more of an irritable bowel problem. It is lower left side discomfort. I think it has to be some food intolerance, I just don't know where to start. My medical doctor is no help with this. I go to Kaiser, they don't go out of the way to help. I think I'm on my own. Thank you - I really do appreciate the help.

Trusted Contributor

On 4/17/2014 natesgrandma said:

It seems like more of an irritable bowel problem. It is lower left side discomfort. I think it has to be some food intolerance, I just don't know where to start. My medical doctor is no help with this. I go to Kaiser, they don't go out of the way to help. I think I'm on my own. Thank you - I really do appreciate the help.

Is it possible for you to see another doctor? You should be able to see someone who can help you. Stomach pain can be a very complicated issue and your doctor should take it seriously.

It's always a victory for me when I remember why I entered a room.
Super Contributor

On 4/17/2014 adelle38 said:

I would advise you to see a doctor and be examined thoroughly. It's hard to believe your doctor would prescribe based on an email. It could be something simple or something very serious.

ITA. Shaking my head that this doctor would just prescribe over the phone without examining you. Shame on her or him. Time to find a new MD.