Super Contributor

Does anyone here have "Paper Skin"? Warning, a little graphic!

I am undergoing a lot of tests to see what might be causing my skin to be paperthin. They don't think it is age related even though I am 63. This just started suddenly, within the last few months and has gotten worse. Last week I just lightly bumped my hand on an end table where I was sitting. It really didn't hurt at all. Well when I picked up the remote, I looked down at my hand and was confused because I saw glistening on my skin. I then was looking at my hand and saw the top layer of my skin laying across my fingers still attached to the top of my hand. Within seconds, the glistening turned red and the bleeding started. My husband was quick and grabbed the first aid and was able to lay the skin back where it belonged, lay gauze on top and bandage it until a doctor could see it. Thus the test that they have now ordered. This experience was like nothing I have ever had and am curious if anyone here might have the same thing. Again, I AM seeing a dr. about this, but wanted to know what anyone else might have experience. Thanks in advance for your input.

Vicki

Honored Contributor

Re: Does anyone here have "Paper Skin"? Warning, a little graphic!

I do not know what this could be. I do know that sadly as we age our skin does thin out and become more delicate and prone to injuries and bruising. I noticed recently that my hands are always scratched and I always have tons of what appear to be little cuts.

Have you started any new medications? Have you been ill? These might be 2 things which are causing this.

Your doctor will definitely need to check into this and I am sure will order blood work, etc.

I know this had to be a very scary thing to happen but I am sure they will get to the bottom of it. Perhaps you have some type of vitamin/mineral deficiencies going on.

Best of luck and please post and let us know how you are doing.

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Super Contributor

What kind of medicine do you take? I have been noticing that my own skin is creepy looking since I have been on prednisone. I was wondering if this was a cause.

Honored Contributor

First, hoping that you will find an answer and let us all know. My mom and grandmother both had almost translucent, very delicate skin. The slightest bump would cause severe bruising and bleeding, with very little if any pain. My mother entered a very good residential care center before she died, and I would frequently get "reports" of injuries to different parts of her body, and most of the time the injuries were caused by my hugging her or adjusting her position in her wheelchair or her bumping a bed rail while she was sleeping. My grandmother fell one time and the result was that she looked as though someone had beaten her head and shoulders, when in fact, there were 3 of us in the same room and the fall was just the result of no one being able to reach her in time. I truly hope that your physician can find some way to help you. As a young woman, you should not have to curtail your activity for this problem.
Honored Contributor

On 4/17/2014 judgejudith said:

What kind of medicine do you take? I have been noticing that my own skin is creepy looking since I have been on prednisone. I was wondering if this was a cause.

Prednisone has done the same to me. My skin is extremely thin and striated. At the slightest bump I get a purple bruise that lasts for weeks at a time and changes colors. I can actually get these bruises (which are not like regular bruises) with no injury at all. They appear mostly on my arms, especially my lower arms. They never really go away. They become brown spots.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

Yes- steroids do thin the skin.

Esteemed Contributor

So does a lot of past sun exposure.

Please let us know what you learn. This seems to be a common problem as we age.

Take care.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Frequent Contributor

First I would seek medical advice before doing anything..I do know that thinning hair and thin skin can be from a lack of folic acids..these can be lost from aging, smoking and poor diet..the answer is taking a folic acid supplement as long as its ok with Your doctor..also helpful to the skin is biotin and and vitamin E.

Valued Contributor

Sorry to hear you have this. My Mom has paper skin and has had since she was in her 60's. She is now 87. With the exception of taking Lipitor she is taking all the same medications, vitamins and supplements as she has all her life. She can brush her arm against something and the next thing you know she is bleeding. I know she had talked to her doctor about this and her blood work didn't show anything. Frankly I think it's one of those hereditary things.

Regular Contributor

My Mom is in her 70's and has what sounds like the same thing or similar. She started using a derma roller on her hands, forearms and face a few months ago and says it is helping. That thin, translucent skin runs in that side of my family.