Valued Contributor

NutriSystem v. Medifast v. ?

Hi, I have finally reached the point where I want to lose weight and I have plenty to lose! This has been a lifelong struggle for me. I had success with NutriSystem over 20 years ago, but had to quit because I didn't have enough $$. I also had success with Weight Watchers when I worked for a large corp. and meetings were held on campus. When they were discontinued, I tried to keep going to meetings downtown, but I didn't know anyone and finally stopped going.

I am now ready to begin this battle again, but I need help from a program. If I could do it on my own, I would have Smile. I am not ready to tackle WW again so I am looking at Nutrisystem or Medifast. I think Medifast would get me to a better weight quickly, but it is very expensive and requires me to fix one meal a day myself. Nutrisystem would be slower I think, but I get all meals and don't have to think too much. I'm scared to have to figure out meals based on nutrition - I've never been able to do it and so I give up. I figure when I get where I want to be, I can join WW and figure out how to feed myself.

Does anyone have an opinion on Nutrisystem, Medifast or other weight-loss programs they would like to offer? Thank you!!

Contributor

Re: NutriSystem v. Medifast v. ?

I have tried various diets and surprising, the one that I do best with is Nutrisystem. I got back on it about 6 weeks ago and am down 13 pounds so far with about 12 to go. I lose slowly because I tend to "cheat" one day per week to eat regular meals with my hubby, including a glass of wine. This works best for me.

I heard about the Costco gift cards for Nutrisystem and bought $100 cards for $69! That was a special promo and not sure if it is still on but they are always a good deal there. You don't have to be a member to order but they do add a $4 surcharge for each $100 gift card ordered which is still a bargain.

Also, if you go with Nutrisystem, check to see if they take your insurance as that would also give an extra reduction in price. And, the "Daily Dose" on their website is good. You click it daily (must be a member) and after 50 clicks (doesn't have to be consecutive) you are sent an e-mail promo number for $10 off.

I love NS and find that I only really dislike a few foods and customize my order to get what I like best. I also like to cook the dry meals rather than just add water and microwave. I find they are tastier and more filling that way. I also like to add salsa to some foods, fresh veggies to some, canned diced tomatoes, onions, etc. to make them taste better.

Don't forget to use the forums...you can read them even if you are not a member.

Good luck with your journey!

Valued Contributor

Thank you AmyKnits2, for taking the time to tell me your story and give me some tips. I didn't realize Costco offered anything for NutriSystem. Thanks again for your reply!

Regular Contributor

Hi Mewsmomtoo, I have tried both, and while both work, I was so hungry on Medifast that I wanted to kill someone. Needless to say, I wasn't able to stick to it. I have had success with NS, though the food is not good (IMO), but I can find enough items that I will eat. If you follow it, you will lose weight, and if pre-portioned prepared diets are what work for you, and you are on a budget, then NS is a good one. Jenny Craig has the best food, but it's expensive.

By the way, through April 30th Costco has the $100 gift cards on sale for $59.99, so if you get 3 that will pay for a month of NS with $ left over, and instead of the $280 that NS charges, you will be paying $180. So if you want to do NS, buy as many of those cards as you can. Wink

Whatever you choose, I wish you good luck.

Honored Contributor

FYI, Medifast is extremely low cal 800-1000. It's even more packaged/powdered than Nutrisystem. It's a very difficult program to stick with because as one poster mentioned, you feel like chewing your arm off you are so hungry. I lost weight but stalled after 4 weeks and could not lose more until I went off program and increased my calories. For me it was too low cal.

Between the two, I would try Nutrisystem first. Medifast seems to be a program that is a last ditch effort when you are desperate. I do not believe it's a good long term program. I know others would disagree. JMO.

Valued Contributor

Thanks Krissie62 and Bikerbabe - maybe Medifast isn't for me! Thanks for the heads-up on the NS cards at Costco too - do any of you know what part of the store they keep them? Thank you all for your time and input, I really appreciate it!

Regular Contributor

On 4/17/2014 mewsmomtoo said:

Thanks Krissie62 and Bikerbabe - maybe Medifast isn't for me! I obviously like to eat and I have this weird almost-fear of being hungry so I think I might not do too well on MediFast if one tends to be extra hungry on it. Thanks for the heads-up on the NS cards at Costco too - do any of you know what part of the store they keep them? Thank you all for your time and input, I really appreciate it!

I don't think they have them in the stores, only on Costco.com.
Valued Contributor

Thank you for telling me that! I would've been searching all over the store :-) And thanks again to all of you, AmyKnits2, Krissie62 and bikerbabe, for taking the time to answer my questions, I really do appreciate it.