Esteemed Contributor

Today, I went to the dr. for female exam. I get in there, nurse gives me a folded sheet and gown. I get undressed, put on gown, unfold the sheet and there is what looks like fresh blood on the dadgum sheet. What the Heck? I feel it, thinking surely to G od this has been washed and it is a stain, though it doesn't look like it has been washed, The spot is hard. I thought I was going to be ill. I take off the robe and inspect it, it looks clean. Dr., comes in and I am like "this is dirty, there is blood on it" she grabs it and runs out. Comes back in with new sheet, then nurse come in and the Dr. asks her how that could have happened, which they don't figure out. this is gross and I am not going back, for any female stuff anyway. What do ya'll think? If you are in the medical profession, are there not safeguards to keep something like this from happening? What would you have done?

Honored Contributor

Re: Dirty sheet at dr. office

That's disgusting. I would have walked out and gone to another doctor.

Valued Contributor

I would be curious to know if the sheet you got from the nurse appeared freshly laundered when she handed it to you. Was it folded? In the end, there's no way to tell if the problem occurred within the office or perhaps at the laundry, either way, it was surely an accident.

If you like your doctor and you have no other issues with office cleanliness I would chalk it up to "sheet" happens (sorry but I couldn't resist)...lol. It would not be cause enough for me to change doctors but whether or not you can get past this is up to you.

Maria

Super Contributor

On 4/16/2014 curlywhitedog said:

I would be curious to know if the sheet you got from the nurse appeared freshly laundered when she handed it to you. Was it folded? In the end, there's no way to tell if the problem occurred within the office or perhaps at the laundry, either way, it was surely an accident.

If you like your doctor and you have no other issues with office cleanliness I would chalk it up to "sheet" happens (sorry but I couldn't resist)...lol. It would not be cause enough for me to change doctors but whether or not you can get past this is up to you.

Maria

I actually agree. I'm thinking that the Dr. probably made sure that will never happen again. It's hard to start over with a new Dr. At the Gyn office I go to after they see a patient they take the used cloth off the exam table and throw it in a chute in the hallway for cleaning. I'm also thinking that it might have been an error on the part of the cleaning service especially if the sheet was folded and ready for use.
Honored Contributor

They use a laundry service for medical offices. Somehow the sheet missed the wash. This is a rare occurance. Do not blame the doctor. I'm sure if the doctor ever has another problem he or she will switch services.

Honored Contributor

My doctor uses paper gowns and sheets, so everything goes in the trash once the exam is over. I have been going to my GYN for so many years that if this scenario had happened in that office, I know he and his staff would have been mortified, and would not have put the incident to rest until they figured out how it happened. I too would have pointed the blood stain out right away, and not used the sheet, but don't think I would sweat it too much.

Frequent Contributor

There should be disposable gowns and sheets at dr. offices!

Esteemed Contributor

On 4/16/2014 curlywhitedog said:

Maria

Yes, both the sheet and the gown were neatly folded and looked clean when she handed them to me. The clinic was very busy and when the nurse was taking my vitals, she commented that it had been a crazy morning. This was the first time seeing this dr., though this is the clinic I go to.

Esteemed Contributor

On 4/16/2014 peggy9cats said:

There should be disposable gowns and sheets at dr. offices!

Yes, they should.

Respected Contributor

I went to a GYN doc last year and there were cobwebs in the windows and the office looked like a pediatricians office from the early 60's with animal murals on the wall. The blinds were dirty too. I never went back and wrote a bad review, too,