Respected Contributor

happy housewife tell me more about the program you are doing

I don't have a YMCA near me. What I read from your post is to exercise more than 150 minutes a week, and limit your fat grams to 40 grams a day. Is this all? Tell me more Smiley Happy Smiley Happy Smiley Happy

My glucose serum level is 98 and the range is 65-99.

Thanks for helping me out!!!!

Honored Contributor

Re: happy housewife tell me more about the program you are doing

HH will respond with more detail, but in the interim (hope it's OK), here are the program websites from the YMCA & CDC. It's such a sound program....looking forward to your success story, as well!! GOOD LUCK!!!

http://www.cdc.gov/diabetes/prevention/about.htm

http://www.ymca.net/diabetes-prevention/about.html

Honored Contributor

You got it right OP but what the number of fat grams each person could eat each day was figured out by the instructor using a formula where she plugged in weight and something else. for me - it was 55 gms but I thought I could easily do 40 gms and that has been true - easily staying at 40 gm a day. Then we keep diet journals and keep track of our fat by either reading labels on the food or looking it up in a book like "The calorie King". I am looking forward to going to see the doctor and see what my FBS & my A1c are but my doctor had to go out of the country on a family emergency so my apt was moved back 2 weeks and could be moved again as he has not returned yet. I do not really limit anything else but the fat grams so even if I want to eat - say a piece of key lime pie - I can still eat it - just only a very small piece - or apple pie - ok but don't eat the crust. I still have mashed potatoes - but just limit it to 1/2 cup. I still have red meat 2 days a week but keep the portion small(3 oz). I do mostly eat veggies now to fill up on. I have become addicted to low fat vanilla wafers - I can have 8 of them for 2 gm of fat - so I put 8 in a little dish and eat them in the evening as I watch TV. Or if I am craving salt I can eat 30 special K crackers for 2 gm of fat - so I count them into a bowl and eat them slowly during the evening. They are much tastier than potato chips and guilt free. I have found that if 2 days a week we eat red meat - 2 days fish - 2 days white meat and one day a meatless meal I can easily stay right on this diet. I usually have low fat peanut butter on a bagel for breakfast - have to keep the peanut butter to a tsp on each half , but if I want jelly I can have as much as I like since jelly has no fat. (incidently I prefer Smuckers simply fruit jelly since it has no sugar added). If you keep a diary you soon learn how to modify what you eat to stay under the 40 gms of fat. BTW - weight watchers makes a great ice cream bar from skim milk - really delicious and low fat dessert.

Honored Contributor

You can go to one of the sites sidsmom posted for more information. This program is so great and so easy - and endorsed by people like Medicare - the CDC - ADA many other prestigious organizations.

Trusted Contributor

Happy Housewife, thanks for the tips, I like when people give specific foods they eat

What kind of Weight Watchers Ice Cream bars do you buy?

Thanks!

I like that you count out snack foods, that is a must, I have to go back to that, when I eat right from the bag or box sometimes I can eat 3/4 of the whole thing, eck!

Honored Contributor

Go to the ice cream - frozen yogurt area of the market - there are many weight watchers ice cream treats - many flavors. All low fat.

Honored Contributor

OP Google something like ""how many fat grams should I eat"" and a formula comes up that will help you determine how many grams of fat you should be eating per day for weightloss. It's very easy to compute. I did it not too long ago and I think first you have to figure out how many calories you should be eating for weightloss then go from there.

Skinny Cow makes good ice cream treats as well. You can watch for what is on sale as those types of things are kind of pricey.

Trusted Contributor

On 4/16/2014 happy housewife said:

Go to the ice cream - frozen yogurt area of the market - there are many weight watchers ice cream treats - many flavors. All low fat.

I am looking on-line at the selection they have, many good satisfying flavors, I will check them out

Valued Contributor

Skinny Cow is good, but a fair amount of carbs...

Respected Contributor

I just went to www.MyFitnessPal.com and plugged in all my info. It said I could have the following:

1570 calories

196g carbs

52g fats

79g protein

2,300g sodium

59g sugar

Smiley Happy