Honored Contributor

Since I have been taking Vit D3 I wanted to have it tested to see what my level is. I went to the doctor for a refill on my thyroid medication & always have to have a blood test first so I asked to get my Vit D checked. He gave me a lab slip to have Vitamin D, 1,25 Dihydroxy test. He told me sometimes Insurance will pay & some will not. I called the Ins. Co. after I left the doctors office before I went to the lab to ask if they covered it. I gave her the code & she told me that was an incorrect code. Went back & forth from the doctors office to the lab trying to get it figured out. Long story short never did get it figured out & did not have the test. I researched online & it looks like I want the test called 25 Hydroxy or 25(OH)D instead of the Dihydroxy test he ordered. Can anyone tell me if you have had your D3 checked if the 25 Hydroxy or 25(OH)D test is the correct test? I looked up the CPT Code on the labs he gave me & online at Quest Diagnosis when I enter that code it comes up with a different code. I need to get the correct test with correct code before I can have the test done. What a hassle. The price for the test the doctor ordered is over $300 so I'm not paying that out of pocket. I can order the 25(OH)D test online from Direct Labs for $59.

{#emotions_dlg.confused1}

Super Contributor

Very few insurance companies will pay for the vitamin D blood test. There is a lot of conflicting information on testing for Vitamin D levels.

I know I paid for testing, and was VERY low. The difference in my activity levels was dramatic and foot and leg pain disappeared. I found this test saved me fro m having foot and knee surgery.

Super Contributor
On 4/16/2014 Wadzlla said:

Very few insurance companies will pay for the vitamin D blood test. There is a lot of conflicting information on testing for Vitamin D levels.

I know I paid for testing, and was VERY low. The difference in my activity levels was dramatic and foot and leg pain disappeared. I found this test saved me fro m having foot and knee surgery.

My insurance company paid for it... My doctor said she could write in a certain way for it to look like a needed test.... and it was approved. I like my DR!{#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

Super Contributor

I just checked my most recent lab slip and it's Vitamin D 25 OH. I get this test done every three months and my insurance pays for it, I have Anthem.

Honored Contributor

Do you know if the test you had was the 25 hydroxyl also called 25(OH)D? I'm sure that's what I want. I wanted to have it done since Vit D is fat soluble. I need to make sure I'm not taking too much but if I'm not taking enough I also need to know. TIA

Smile

Super Contributor

I have one every 2 months and Kaiser pays for it-

Respected Contributor

Just had blood work done,and it checked my Vit D level. I got a copy of the results and it shows Vitamin D, 25-Hydroxy. My results were 39.8. That was good, it use to be less than 30.0. I take 2,000 iu of Vit D.3 each day.

Super Contributor
On 4/16/2014 Nightowlz said:

Do you know if the test you had was the 25 hydroxyl also called 25(OH)D? I'm sure that's what I want. I wanted to have it done since Vit D is fat soluble. I need to make sure I'm not taking too much but if I'm not taking enough I also need to know. TIA

Smile

Yes, that is the test. I was put on a prescription dose for 3 months, and now take

5000 mg daily. I have Medical Mutual, and they did not cover this test.

Honored Contributor
On 4/16/2014 FATCATinCT said:

I just checked my most recent lab slip and it's Vitamin D 25 OH. I get this test done every three months and my insurance pays for it, I have Anthem.

Thank you. I knew someone on the boards would know the answer. I was pretty sure that was it. Not sure what all the test consists of the doctor ordered but called & told them I wanted the Vit D 25 OH test. Waiting for the nurse to call me back. The lab wants $253 for this test so if the ins will not pay any on it I will have to order it online & drive a 3 hr round trip to the lab to have the test done for $59.

Super Contributor
On 4/16/2014 Barbarainnc said:

Just had blood work done,and it checked my Vit D level. I got a copy of the results and it shows Vitamin D, 25-Hydroxy. My results were 39.8. That was good, it use to be less than 30.0. I take 2,000 iu of Vit D.3 each day.

39 may be in the "normal" range but it is far from good, the optimal range is 70.