Valued Contributor

Need help selecting Probiotic

Anyone taking probiotics??? I am interested in trying them since I have heard good things about them. I suffer from gastroparesis (delayed stomach emptying) and experience diaherra often. I don't want anything that is going to act as a laxative. I would sincerely appreciate any feedback from anyone who has taken Culturelle, Align or Digestive Advantage, the brands I have noticed while shopping and from TV ads! The ingredients vary from one brand to the next and I wonder which brand might be better for my gastro issues. Thanks!!!!

Frequent Contributor

Re: Need help selecting Probiotic

My doctor recommends florastor when taking antibiotics. I stay on it all the time. It costs a lot more than some other brands but deals can be found.
Valued Contributor

On 4/15/2014 philom said: My doctor recommends florastor when taking antibiotics. I stay on it all the time. It costs a lot more than some other brands but deals can be found.

Thanks philom! On one website I noticed that florastor was very highly rated and also more expensive. But, the price is probably justified!

Super Contributor

What did your doctor recommend?

Super Contributor

I take Culturelle and am very happy with itSmiley Happy))
Honored Contributor

I take Andrew Lessman's Ultimate Friendly Flora. I would have acid reflux every once in a while. I started taking the probiotics & don't eat after 7 PM & don't have that problem now. It does not have a laxative effect on me.

Occasional Contributor

I also take the Andrew Lessman friendly flora. I like it very much.

I do not find that it has any laxative effect. If you watch for it, his supplements often have free shipping.

Susan

Trusted Contributor

On 4/15/2014 philom said: My doctor recommends florastor when taking antibiotics. I stay on it all the time. It costs a lot more than some other brands but deals can be found.

My friend's mom takes Florastor also on her doctors recommendation. She had that C-diff infection and this has helped her.

Honored Contributor

jump4joy,

Early last year I was told by the nutritionist at my doc's office to take Klaire Labs Therbiotic when I was having terrible diarrhea (my gut had been totally stripped because of a long series of antibiotics). And, in addition, specifically for the extreme diarrhea, she recommended saccharomyces boulardii, which you can buy as a singular probiotic (Klaire Labs is the one I took). Worked like a charm!!!

I still take the Therbiotic every day and recommend it highly, but do not need the saccharomyces boulardii anymore as that one was specifically for the diarrhea.

Super Contributor

Florajen. You can't find it on the shelves. Ask the pharmacist for it. It has to be kept refrigerated. Doctors and pharmacists all agree that it is tops.

Some people do drugs. I do shoes....Celine Dion