Honored Contributor

Our goal for my YMCA diabetes prevention program was to lose 7% of my body weight - I achieved that plus a few pounds. We were also supposed to increase our activity to 150 min a week but I already far exceeded that so I didn't even pay any attention to that part. Most weeks my activity is well over 300 min and often 400. I know some here were interested to know if this program works so I will post when I see the doctor next time what my FBS and cholesterol # are - that won't be for 2 more weeks.Everyone in the class who got back their blood work from the doctor has been very pleased with their numbers so far. Some of the folks in my class had little weight to lose and one lady is actually trying to put a few pounds on but do it in a way that won't increase her chance of getting diabetes, as her blood sugars are marginal.So - thus far - this program looks to be a success for most of my class.

And for those who told me at great length and not very nicely that this could not work - you were wrong. And the Centers for Disease Control, The Diabetes prevention and control alliance,and the YMCA and Medicare were correct.

My program lasts 3 more weeks then I go on the maintainance program for a year.

Super Contributor

Re: I've reached my goal !!!

Congratulations!

Super Contributor

Awesome! Good job! I don't set goals. I should, and you inspire me! - Bird{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Honored Contributor

Actually I didn't set these goals - the program did but I am still happy I have met them. I certainly intend to continue the program and see how far I can go with this. it is such a simple program - limit fats to 40 gms a day and exercise >150min a week. Exercise can be anything - go to the gym , walk, bike, swim do housework, garden - just about any activity counts as long as you do it continuously for 30 min at a time.

Honored Contributor

Congrats & good luck with your labs! KUTGW!

Honored Contributor

Yeah - good for you. Experts who assess thousands of people, not just the 10 or 59 most of us know personally, have said for years that we get about 60% of the health benefits of weight loss from the first 10% of what we lose. You just added to that finding! I'm not a diabetic, but there's diabetes in my family big time, and I have sad knowledge of its dmage, so I'm so gad you are working to protect yourself.

There's a big difference between weight loss for health and weight lose for appearance. Just yesterday as I bemoaned to my doctor that I had gained weight and was unhappy about it, he checked back to last year this time - and what do you know, I had gained a whole pound! That I had lost and gained more than that during the year didn't concern him much at all. Further, he suggested a goal weight for me that's far above my "appearance" weight. That and more exercise, he felt, would make me a very healthy woman when I turn 73 soon. Great office visit for me - I can do what he wants.

Honored Contributor

Oooooooo!!!!! CONGRATULATIONS! I'm so happy. You know I've been your online cheerleader from the get-go...so many nay-sayers, but when 'ya got something good, it just works. Sounds like it's good encouragement not only for losing, but for maintenance, as well. Keep it up, HH!!

ETA: 7% is a good goal. I know Weight Watchers in the past would initially assign a 10% loss. 7-10% of weight is just enough for your body to go, "oh....so you ARE serious about this, huh?!!" Smiley Happy.

Honored Contributor

Thanks everyone for the encouraging words. I was really afraid to write about this again and get the whole brew ha ha restarted but I want to encourage others who are bordering on diabetes to look into this very simple program at their YMCA - you could easily avoid becoming diabetic and maybe find some physical activity to do that you really enjoy. Some of the folks in my class have taken up tennis,golf, some are bicycling, swimming and some are using the gym. many are simply walking but they are finding new and beautiful or interesting places to walk. My area of fl has a diverse history and very lovely parks and historic landmarks. One man in my class and his wife are visiting lighthouses and they mostly have to walk to get to them then they walk the stairs inside to the tops and take photos. We have a friend who moved here recently with her dog and so we often go to the dog beach in the evening with them and walk the beach and watch the sunset. None of us have lost a huge amount of weight - at least not yet - but all of us are agreeing that our clothes do fit us much better now and we are feeling much healthier along with all those getting back great labs.

Valued Contributor

Congratulations happy housewife!!
Honored Contributor

Congratulations!