Esteemed Contributor

The doctor got the report back and I had an appointment today and I do have skin cancer. He is, dermatologist and sending me to a surgeon who will cut it out. He said I will have a skin graft.

I know someone who had skin cancer and had it just cut out and stitched.

Anyone here that had this procedure of either one?

Honored Contributor

Re: An update on my leg biopsy

I've never had this but my brother-in-law had this done twice on his face. Once many years ago and the last being within the last couple years. He didn't need chemo or radiation either time and he is now 80 years old.

My best to you with this and I would be surprised if someone here can't tell you more about this than myself. Wishing you well.

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

My grandmother had skin cancer removed from her leg. She did not have further problems. I hope that you will breeze through the removal. Bless you.
Regular Contributor

halfpint, it is on your leg? What does it look like and what made you seek medical attention? Most everyone I know who has had skin cancer has had it on the torso or face area. One of my friends is having surgery on her back for skin cancer. I forget they type it is but I don't think it is the really serious one.

Good luck to you!! Prayers to you!

Frequent Contributor

Hi halfpint, I had melanoma on my left upper left arm a few years ago. It was caught early, and they took extra margins around the mole. I had a double row of stitches, but that was it. I do go in every 6 months, and frequently have other spots removed. But, fortunately none have been cancerous. Best of luck to you!
Frequent Contributor

What kind of skin cancer do you have?

Super Contributor

God Bless you

Trusted Contributor

My husband had a small red mark on his shoulder that started getting bigger, I thought it was some skin disorder but our Doctor felt it was a non invasive cancer sent him to a Dermatologist that specializes in skin cancer, an appointment was made, the Dermatologist does this kind of surgery everyday at his clinic, it is like a day surgery, he operated on the shoulder, took out the tumor it was not a bad skin cancer so he stitched it back together .No other treatment was needed. It took awhile to heal it was a large incision but he's fine now and cancer free.

Regular Contributor

I had a melanoma removed from my calf about 13 years ago at age 43. Most women get melanoma on their leg, men tend to get it on their torso. It was a mole I had my whole life, but it turned bad & started growing downward. It was asymmetrical, flat into the skin, & a little bigger than a pencil eraser. Fortunately, it was caught early. I had it removed by a plastic surgeon after seeing the dermatologist, it was sent for a biopsy & came back malignant melanoma. That meant I had to go in for a Wide Angle Excision. They also checked my lymph nodes (had to have a sentinel node biopsy), but thankfully it hadn't spread. I had about 50 stitches, but they faded in time & I put self-tanner on anyway, but definitely stay out of the sun. Best of luck on your surgery.

Respected Contributor

I am so sorry about your news Smiley Sad I went in last year and had 18 moles removed, I am lucky that they all came back okay but, i am 41. My derm told me I need to go in every 6 months and since I am covered with moles she said it's very likely I will develop skin cancer at some point in my life but, if I have it watched I should be able to catch it early. I tanned A LOT in my teens and early 20's !! Urg, the things I wish I could go back and change.

GOOD LUCK TO YOU!! Will be praying for you.