Respected Contributor

Total gym users, be careful!

I have a total gym and the beginner's DVD.

The rep who does the shows on QVC is the person who demonstrates on the CD. First of all, she goes entirely too quickly. You have to change things on the machine and there isn't enough time to do that without falling behind on what's on the DVD. Anyway, last evening I was working out while watching the DVD and got to a point where the lines needed to be changed. Since I was in a hurry, I didn't get off the apparatus, but attempted to change lines while on the board -- big mistake! I lost control and my foot slipped off at the bottom between the sliding board and the metal base. Thought I broke my ankle!

So, please operate this machine carefully! It can be dangerous if you don't.

Honored Contributor

Re: Total gym users, be careful!

di-mc - the DVDs are useless, learned that the first time I tried to use them. Also managed to fold the unit in half - with both hands in the wrong place. I thought I fractured my baby, ring and middle finger on each hand - they just turned black and blue - lol. I was proud of myself that I didn't scream.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Super Contributor

It is way too heavy for the average person and they never bring that up. Also, when putting it up or down, you have to be careful not to get fingers etc caught between the hinge!! I almost cut off fingers one day.

Respected Contributor

Bird mama, how awful! I keep mine set up so I don't have to deal with folding the thing. However, this is not a machine to be used without extreme caution.

Super Contributor

On 4/13/2014 Bird mama said:

di-mc - the DVDs are useless, learned that the first time I tried to use them. Also managed to fold the unit in half - with both hands in the wrong place. I thought I fractured my baby, ring and middle finger on each hand - they just turned black and blue - lol. I was proud of myself that I didn't scream.

Bird see what I wrote above.... you were lucky not to have lost fingers!

Super Contributor

The exercise routine is on a cd?

Can't you pause it, while you change things around, then resume play once it's changed?

Was Yuban, then changed to Plaid Pants due to forum upgrade, and apparently, I'm back to being Yuban.
Respected Contributor

On 4/13/2014 Yuban3 said:

The exercise routine is on a cd?

Can't you pause it, while you change things around, then resume play once it's changed?

Yes, of course, however it's another thing to do. I mean, it seems easy to just pause and restart, and it is, however sometimes you just want to get on with it. If the demonstrations were done slower and gave time to change things it would be more helpful.

Honored Contributor

The instructor is at an advantage because someone has her machine set up for the next exercise. Naturally, she can move from one exercise to another and meanwhile, the viewer, who has a different machine that Rosalie, is trying to keep pace.

Super Contributor

Haven't seen the exercise cd, I would also suspect editing to cut down on time, so that the "flow" of the cd is smoother than one showing her changing the equipment around.

Was Yuban, then changed to Plaid Pants due to forum upgrade, and apparently, I'm back to being Yuban.
Honored Contributor

I was better off picking out my exercises from the flip chart and doing them in a sequence that worked for me. Oh and another thing - the Rosalie CD has a warm up. Anyone who's used an exercise tape/DVD would expect some kind of warm up exercises in the warm up phase of the DVD. I didn't expect Rosalie to tell me to pause the DVD and go run around doing something aerobic for 10 minutes. I saw that and said what the chuck? I haven't even looked at the Todd Durkin/Dirkin whatever his name is DVDs.