Respected Contributor

I was diagnosed with a lower back disk herniation nearly 3 years ago. I've suffered on and off with bouts of extreme pain, inability to walk, sit, stand, lay down (I'm sure folks here who have back pain can relate). It has made it difficult to do my job, which involves sitting in front of a computer. At first I was prescribed muscle relaxants and pain killers, then I stopped those and began seeing a chiropractor.

Recently, I've started to practice yoga. I take classes and also rent videos of different gentle yoga exercises. I can't tell you how improved my back has been as a result. I shocked myself because I thought it was a bunch of hokum! But I was desperate for a non-medicinal way to alleviate the pain and now I'm hooked. Not only is my back feeling 100% better, the aches and pains I normally felt, especially in the morning, have diminished. Not to mention the mental effects of feeling calm and centered. AND I've lost 2 inches on my waist!!!!!

Anyone else practice yoga with similar results?

Super Contributor
So glad to read your post. I started "gentle" yoga, twice/week at my local senior center, about a month ago. At 63, I have an arthritic hip, from the trauma of a mild case of polio when I was 5 years old. In an effort to reduce the pain and increase mobility, I lost 80 lbs. over the last 16 months, and want to lose another 10 lbs. My focus now is on gentle exercise, and practicing yoga has greatly increased my flexibility and awareness of the impact of body movements, such as lifting with legs, rather than back, and movement lubricating the joints. I always learn new things about physiology at each class, that I'm sure will serve my body well as I continue to age. I will add pool exercises a few times/week when the weather warms. Also, there are LOTS of free videos on YouTube for different kinds of yoga, including "for seniors" and "gentle". Funny....like you, for most of my life, I "thought it was a bunch of hokum!" I thought that, to be beneficial, exercise had to be aerobic or done with weights.
“There are two ways to be rich: One is by acquiring much, and the other is by desiring little.” —Jackie French Koller
Respected Contributor

So glad it's helping you too Teez! Just like you, I noticed how I was applying yoga postures or breathing to my daily movements. I also learn something new daily- like how many of the poses massage and lubricate internal organs or how breathing in and out through the nose keeps your body heat IN.

The best thing is definitely increase flexibility and less pain through spine, hip and shoulder opening postures. Continued success with your practice Teez!

Valued Contributor
I'm glad you posted this. I have suffered with chronic back and now neck pain for the past 10 years. I have constant sciatica pain in my left buttock and down my leg. I have tried everything -- numerous rounds of physical therapy, swimming therapy, chiropractor, acupuncture, various medications. I am having surgery on the 22nd and have decided to try yoga once I have recovered. Can you post the names of the videos you have rented? TIA
Respected Contributor
On 4/13/2014 TootyJane said: I'm glad you posted this. I have suffered with chronic back and now neck pain for the past 10 years. I have constant sciatica pain in my left buttock and down my leg. I have tried everything -- numerous rounds of physical therapy, swimming therapy, chiropractor, acupuncture, various medications. I am having surgery on the 22nd and have decided to try yoga once I have recovered. Can you post the names of the videos you have rented? TIA

Tooty, I'm so sorry you're in pain. I too have the constant sciatic pain in my left buttock down to my feet, with accompanying pins and needless, especially in the feet. It is maddening and tiring to have this pain every minute of every day. I've been doing yoga since Feb and have notice the dramatic lessening of these symptoms over the last couple of weeks. The only thing new is the yoga.

I'll come back with the names of the videos. Are you able to take a private yoga lesson? It may be worth your while since any teacher worth his/her salt will have dealt with back surgery patients and can customize for you.

Honored Contributor

As soon as I get a few of my minor medical problems under control, I will start back on Yoga. I loved doing it. I did it for maybe 2 years.

I had to stop for medical reasons. But I think it will help (not fix it, but help) my very bad back. I am in the process of cutting back on pain medicine (my idea, I figure I still hurt, I'm not taking this medicine).

I'm so glad you posted here. It gives others hope that they can do it too.

I remember some of my favorite people I did Yoga with. One lady had Lupus. She would garden late at night after Yoga.

One of my favorites was the young woman who was thin but announced in the beginning that she was a few months pregnant. We all watched her cute be lly grow over the course of that year!

Eventually she had these tiny thin legs (we used to say, "Are those legs going to hold you up"? She'd say, "Well, I think the Lord is going to keep me from toppling over because I ask him to every night"! She'd wear these bright yellow clothes (exercise outfit). We called her "Big Bird".

Anyway, thanks for letting us know and I look forward to feeling as good as your Yoga makes you feel. I love hearing about people who help themselves and it all works out. Be safe/Linda

Honored Contributor

I forgot to say I often use the breathing I learned in Yoga. I have an explosive personality. People who don't know me think I'm c a l m Ha!

I meditate to help calm myself down. The teacher taught us how to regulate our breathing.

I take my pointer finger and put it on my forehead. Then put the thumb and ring finger on each side of your nose.

Then breath in and out while you move each ring finger and the thumb to cover each nostril.

This regulates the breathing. It is great for someone like me who's mind is going 5 miles a minute and has trouble relaxing.

Just sit, turn off everything. Now breathe!

Valued Contributor

Hulu has ""Yoga Zone"". Several sessions are under 25 min and are among my favorites for a gentle session.

Super Contributor
Bathina, thank you - all the best to you, too, in your journey! Annabellethecat, I recently learned about the "single nostril breathing" technique, myself. It balances the flow of oxygen and energy between the right and left brain hemispheres, and found it particularly helpful before bedtime. 2cockers1cat, thanks for the info about Hulu!
“There are two ways to be rich: One is by acquiring much, and the other is by desiring little.” —Jackie French Koller
Super Contributor
One more thing....for those considering yoga, in addition to discussing with your doctor, please let your instructor know about your individual issues. He/she can advise about specific concerns and adaptations for you.