Honored Contributor

Constipation stemming from medication - suggestions, please

I was taking a medication for nausea recently and a terrible side affect was extreme constipation. I started taking Milk of Magnesia thinking this would get quick results without cramping, but it's really not working well at all.

What product can you recommend that gives quick results without being overly harsh and giving you terrible discomfort and cramping?

I know this is not a pleasant topic but it's just part of life! And I'm sure many of us suffer from this.

Thanks so much!

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

Re: Constipation stemming from medication - suggestions, please

Dried apricots will do the trick, if you don't want to take any more meds.

Valued Contributor

Everyday, I make me a smoothie using fresh spinach leaves, kale, cranberries, strawberries, a frozen banana, and plain yogurt. I get my greens and have no issues. I do it mainly to make sure I get my veggies in and it is so good for you, without relying on meds. Good luck.

Honored Contributor

Thanks for the suggestions! I eat a lot of fruit and veggies. I have such a touchy system. Boy, these pills did a number on me!!! I think it will take awhile to get my system back in line. Very kind of you to post!

Frequent Contributor

Miralax

Honored Contributor

get out and walk - walk a lot - the very best thing for constipation.

Honored Contributor

Unfortunately, I can't walk as I have achilles tendonitis which I am battling! I miss it so much. I'm just miserable not being able to do it!!!

And Miralax and things like Citrcel, etc., - I've tried all of those things before and they are not really very satisfactory for me. But I appreciate the suggestion!

Esteemed Contributor

On 4/13/2014 Beauty$Junkie said:

Everyday, I make me a smoothie using fresh spinach leaves, kale, cranberries, strawberries, a frozen banana, and plain yogurt. I get my greens and have no issues. I do it mainly to make sure I get my veggies in and it is so good for you, without relying on meds. Good luck.

That sounds yummy. Do you add ice or some sort of liquid? Are those frozen cranberries?

Fortēs fortūna adjuvat
Super Contributor

Check out adding milk thistle to your routine. It helps increase the production of bile that will help with flushing the toxins from your liver and colon.

Frequent Contributor

Try a probiotic .