Valued Contributor

Shingles Vaccine/ Tricare Prime

Just on FYI for those on Tricare Prime. The age requirement has been dropped down to 50 versus 60 years. So this is now a covered benefit at 50, I just found this out and wanted to pass it on.

Super Contributor

Re: Shingles Vaccine/ Tricare Prime

I have Tricare and plan to get vaccinated on my next doctor visit.
Super Contributor

That's a valuable benefit--I wanted to get it last year, but my insurance wouldn't cover it and the cheapest I could find it was $250, so I had to go without.

Frequent Contributor

I thought tricare prime was phased out, at least in our area. Anyone know if tricare for life pays?
Contributor

Your doctor may not have it. It's usually available at CVS or walgreens. Call first because it needs to be thawed out for about 20 min.
Honored Contributor

My doctor has it on hand, but other docs in my area do not, makes it harder to get it.

Super Contributor

I had my shingles injection 2 years ago and Tricare for Life covered the cost. If you're not sure just give them a call.

Grow old my body but stay young my heart
Valued Contributor

I just wanted to mention that after receiving the vaccine, I was warned about the injection site might turn red itchy and inflamed. That did happen, the area about 3 inches around the site. I took Benadryl for a couple of days and it turned out to be no big deal.

Respected Contributor

I hadn't had a Shingles shot, but had a horrible case of Shingles last spring and am still not over it completely. Lots of residual itching and stinging. Because of this I have still not yet taken the shot, although Doc thinks it would be okay.

I do have two relatives - one in Austin, one in California. The neice in Austin (Age 49) has it at least once a year on her thing - goes around the leg and lasts about a month. Miserable. My cousin in California (age 84) has it on his back and around the torso every couple of years. Both have had the Shingles shot, and it hasn't prevented the disease.

Great idea to get the shot, but remember it is not a guarantee.

In our area, the groceries with pharmacies and the larger pharmacies themselves also offer the shot. I think the cost is still $250.00.

Trusted Contributor

My insurer made me wait until I was 60. As a retiree, I get my insurance from my previous employer. The month I turned 60 they changed insurance plans and the vaccine was no longer covered. Grrr. I had to pay for it, but decided it was worth it. My doctor gave me a prescription and I received the shot at the pharmacy.

Perkup is correct that it does not prevent shingles 100% of the time, but I had shingles once as a child and I want to do what I can to not get it again. I think it is crazy that insurance doesn't cover preventative care like the shingles shot.

One friend of mine who is 70 just got shingles. He had not gotten the vaccine because he had never had chicken pox. He thought if you never had chicken pox you did not have the virus in your system. Well, that was wrong.