Valued Contributor

I'm thinking of trying to eat vegetarian...any good tips/websites/cookbooks to get started? Thanks!

Honored Contributor

Is anyone a vegetarian?

Been a lacto-ovo since the mid 1970's. Never look on any websites so I can't help you with anything there. I learned decades ago what were the best foods to eat to fuel my unique body and that is complex carbs. Been mixing my own off-the-wall combinations for a long time now and they have worked well in all respects for me.

Many stay away from them for reasons that escape me, but to each their own when it comes to their vegetarian choices of what they eat. I am sure many others vegetarians that visit here can direct you to some books or websites that can help you pick from many nutritiously dense food choices.

hckynut(john)
Valued Contributor

hckynut...thanks for taking the time to reply...I appreciate it! Hoping to find what works best for me...

Honored Contributor

I can't recommend The McDougall Diet enough. Dr. John McDougall has an interactive website with an outline of a Free Program to get you started. They also have an active forum, like this, where you're among like-minded folks. Dr. McDougall & his wife Mary, have lots of DVDs & recipe books to help you along this journey. Good luck!

http://www.drmcdougall.com/health/education/free-mcdougall-program/10-day-meal-plan/

Valued Contributor

sidsmom...wow! Thanks! Sounds very interesting! I will check it out!

Honored Contributor

Honestly? There are a zillion veggie videos, but I found a couple that you might enjoy...and might inspire. Chef AJ contributes to the McDougall website & lectures...but you'll see her on the community boards, as well. She recently lost a bunch of weight, so if you watch past videos, you'll see a big change! Hope these helps!

http://youtu.be/zmXWgBCzdxU

http://youtu.be/8DShMU8HyyQ

Respected Contributor

Eat to Live is a great book, you might want to check that one out on Amazon for the best pricing.

Super Contributor

I've been vegetarian since birth (1971). It's not very hard, most people don't even know I'm vegetarian. My only word of advice would be to avoid the overly processed soy meat substitutes. I have nothing against soy, but I don't think the meat substitutes are particularly healthy. Better off to eat more beans and tofu or tempeh for protein. I've never had any issues getting enough protein, and I mostly avoid dairy too. "The Happy Herbivore" is a good thing to google. She makes good recipes, and her books are great.

books I enjoy are "Thrive" and anything by Joel Fuhrman (Eat to live is great, but i don't exactly follow his advice with regard to oil and salt).

Valued Contributor

Thanks, everyone, for your responses! I will check out your suggestions!

Regular Contributor
Check out some books at your local library. I brought a bagful home last weekend & a few CD books too for the car! Reading & listening, I don't agree with it all but love being educated. Trying to have more vegan days now & vegetarian 100%. It's a good feeling, good luck!