Valued Contributor
I'm looking for advice from those using any successful over-the-counter/natural supplement for treating thir symptoms. I saw my doctor the other day and she suggested upping the dosage of arthritis strength Tylenol since I don't care to be taking Meloxicam any longer. I'm wondering if anyone has been successful with tumeric or other supplements or over-the-counter products.
Honored Contributor

Re: Osteoarthritis Treatment

I made dietary changes - eliminated grains & processed foods - and that took care of most of my pain. In addition to osteoarthritis, I have also been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia & that pain is pretty much gone, too. I no longer need to take anything for pain.

I take a turmeric blend but I just went several months w/o taking any and don't notice any difference with or without taking it. I really think my nutritional changes have been the best medicine.

Super Contributor

Proteolytic enzymes for inflammation
Honored Contributor

I don't do it. Nothing but prescription (and Motrin) works on my arthritis. However, I've read a lot of articles that said to stay away from 'night shades'.

Look into them. It might help. My arthritis is so bad even prescription pain killers don't take away the pain.

Honored Contributor

Have osteoarthritis on many parts of my body including my lumbar spine where I have had 3 ruptured lumbar discs removed(L-3/L-5/S1)and I also have 3 crushed vertebrae in my neck. From my job of close to 30 years I have 3 fingers on each hand with osteo and many mornings I have to soak my hands in hot(warm)water before I can even open those fingers.

Had my heel bone(calcaneus)broken twice and many days I have trouble even wearing shoes. Have had a total of 3 broken toes on separate occasions and osteo there also.

The strongest med I am willing to take now is a straight Tylenol 500mg and no more than 1 a day. My other methods are hot(warm)showers and soaks, or just running warm water down my neck and back on days where my spinal column is dealing me a fit.

Only anti-inflammatory I will take is for my 2 heart attacks and that is one 81mg aspirin tab per day.

Sorry to hear of your issues with this but if one lives and active life/lives long enough and/or has a genetic predisposition? There are many choices of pain meds but I personally am not willing to subject this old body to them anymore and haven't since 2002.

Hopefully you can find something that will work for you. My nephew is an Anesthesiologist and he owns 5 Pain Clinics and he said he does very well helping many with chronic pain from osteoarthritis. If you haven't tried this it might be worth taking a look see.

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

I recommend

CURCUMIN - Super Bio-Curcumin (400mg) - Life Extension 60 Vegetarian CapsulesTake a couple a day. It is tumeric, but in the best propriety blend I know of. This is even great for those going through radiation. But to each their own. I take it, as well as my husband and it really helps him (he has cancer) and helps me a bit.(I have severe arthritis with severe joint damage)

I also think the following helps:

Lidocaine patches during an attack. These are RX and need to be placed over the painful area.

sometimes I use Thermapatch (the heat patches from drugstore)

I swear by a blitz of Sambazon Organic frozen Acai pulp (unsweetened) One a day during hard times. It tastes like dirt but seems to pick up the flavor aof any juice you put it in. This boost the immune system. Helps me with painful hips.

I do use tramadol now and then

I never fail to exercise at the gym. I do weights and treadmill . I hate the treadmill, but I do it.

I am seeing a PT person, and seeing Spine doctor in 2 weeks so will let you know if they come up with more.

I am allergic BIG time to all NSAIDS, but Tylenol now and them is good. No more than 1500mg per day my Dr says. But I take them rarely.

If I need stronger drugs, once in while during a flare up, I take em!

I am looking at Knee replacement, and fusion of some bones in the feet. So I want to get strong!

Hope you feel better.

When I am really down, I swig a 6ounce can of Twin Labs energy drink. The Yerba Buena , guarana, b vitamins,and ginsing make me forget! hahaha

Honored Contributor

Oh, and Arnica cream is wonderful. I really relieves the pain. I think this is one product I cannot live without. I prefer the french made one by Boiron. I buy it on Amazon. Boiron also makes Arnica pills and they help in arsenal of weapons.

Valued Contributor

On 4/6/2014 willdob3 said:

I made dietary changes - eliminated grains & processed foods - and that took care of most of my pain. In addition to osteoarthritis, I have also been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia & that pain is pretty much gone, too. I no longer need to take anything for pain.

I take a turmeric blend but I just went several months w/o taking any and don't notice any difference with or without taking it. I really think my nutritional changes have been the best medicine.

I hope this works for me. I have eliminated grains and most processed foods. Do you eat dairy? It might be hard for me to give up my full fat greek yogurt.

Trusted Contributor

Definitely curcumin and tart cherry juice is great for joints and arthritis. Arnica is great for pain and so is an over the counter product called Bio Freeze. It comes in a roll on which is better than the gel since you have to really scrub your hands. I don't believe in medicine Tylenol ruins your liver as do many other meds and Advil ruins your stomach. Too many side affects for me. I'd rather go the natural way.
Honored Contributor

I have spinal arthritis and I find that a soak in a hot tub is my best pain reliever. I also know that the more you exercise the better off you will be so you need to get out and walk. it is hard at first if you haven't exercised in a while but it gets better. If you can't even do that you should find somewhere to get to a water aerobics class - the water supports 80% of your body weight allowing you to move much more freely. They have classes for every level of fittness, you can start out in the easiest one and work your way up until you are able to get out of the water and exercise on solid ground.