Regular Contributor

Can anyone help me with lymphatic drainage?

I have under eye bags that I believe are mostly caused by poor lymphatic drainage and I was wondering if anyone knows of anything that will help this? Any supplements or anything? I read the dry brushing thread and I am going to go on you tube to learn how to do it. I have also tried lymphatic drainage self facial massage from you tube but that didnt go so well. I believe I used too much pressure around my eyes and I woke up in the morning looking like I got punched in the face about 100 times. I really believe the lymphatic massages would help tremendously but I live in a small town and no one around here does it. I also cant find any natural doctors our homeopaths. Sorry if thats not the correct names of the doctors. This is very frustrating for me because I believe there is help out there but no where near where I live.

I believe my problem is poor lymphatic drainage because my eyes, especially the lower bags, are big when I wake up. And although the swelling goes down my bags remain. I have white flakiness around my eyes in the morning too. No one in my family has eye bags. No one. No even my beautiful 80 year old mom. So its not hereditary. Nothing helps them. Not any drug store product or natural things that I have tried. Like raw potatoes or cucumbers. Or put a spoon in the freezer and use it in the morning. And God forbid I cry even a little! When I wake up in the morning my eyes are swollen so bad they are huge!

Any suggestions would help!

Thank you everyone.

Super Contributor

Re: Can anyone help me with lymphatic drainage?

I think the sonic appliances for the face work best for me. I use the Skinn model sold on ShopHQ. The sonic vibrations help to move the fluid build up out of the eye area gently. I have the same issues to address. Also, do not use heavy creams around the eye area at night..... Only use serums. Just use oil free hydrating serums. During the day if you really feel you need to use a cream, only use it during the day when you are moving and upright.

Super Contributor

It could also be from allergies, or from water retention. Try an OTC allergy pill and cutting out salt. I have a lower bag problem also.
Esteemed Contributor

spooky, look up lymphatic system and study the diagrams to see how the lymph flows.

When you are pressing (with firm pressure, but not to any point of discomfort) around your eyes, start from the inside corners of your eyes and follow the arrow in the diagram...press the inner corners and move to the next section, pressing & working under the eyes to the outer edge of eyes. Press over the brow lines.

While I'm pressing, I'm also pressing in an eye cream (or serum) that I have on my fingertips. As I'm pressing, I'm holding my fingers in one spot for a few seconds before I move to the next area.

I actually do it twice - first w/ the serum and then w/ the eye cream. I do it a.m. & p.m.

If I do say so myself, I have a great, firm & taut eye area, no wrinkles or lines and no dark circles or bags.

If you do this...press gently at first, and then perhaps you can increase the pressure as you continue the massage over the course of days/weeks.

(I can give a few more tips, if you want.)

Super Contributor

Thanks Harpa! That is very interesting. I would like to hear about more on this if you care to share!

Esteemed Contributor

On 4/5/2014 gazelle77 said:

Thanks Harpa! That is very interesting. I would like to hear about more on this if you care to share!Smile

gazelle, I'll have to come on later (or tomorrow a.m.); I'm off to take my Mom shopping. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I would look from the inside, out. Drink TONS of water. Eliminate/reduce salt. Get lots of sleep.

Regular Contributor

Hi everyone! Im just doing a test post here. I posted a reply to everyone and I have no idea where it went! I am computer challanged so who knows what the heck I did. But it was very well thought out and I dont have time to repost unfortunately. So I will tomarrow!

Frequent Contributor

This is such an informative thread--thanks for great advice! Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Spookyghost, I would also try warm chamomile tea compresses on your closed eyes. It feels great and reduces a lot of puffiness.

You take two Alvita chamomile tea bags (as they have no staples or tags) and dunk them in a cup of warm water. Then press out some but not all of the water, lay down, and put one tea bag on each eye. After a few minutes, remove the bags and discard them. Let your eyes dry naturally, without patting them dry, so the tea can be absorbed.

A former co-worker used this method, and I will tell you that I always knew when she did this as I could see the difference it made.

I know nothing about lymphatic drainage, but the post from Harpa looks quite interesting.