Super Contributor

Stupid question - hot flashes?

I'm at the age where I'm starting to experience various weirdness that I can only attribute to possible perimenopause. But sometimes I'm not so sure because some things just don't seem to fit any textbook mold. But then again, I AM weird...always have been. It doesn't help when I have a lot of other health issues going on. Trying to sort out what MIGHT be those and what might be hormonal is becoming a nightmare.

I KNOW that this is not a medical board and to take medical information here with a grain of salt. That said, I am seriously interested to know what others personal experience has been with the dreaded hot flashes. Everything I've read describes them as short waves that involves sweating and such. I'm experiencing something kind of different than that, and am wondering if there is any way it might still be related to hot flashes. I'm getting a red and hot face/flushing just about every afternoon and evening, and it last for hours. It's driving me crazy. Has anyone else experience this with perimenopause? Maybe it's behaving different with me because I have PCOS and my hormones are messed up going in to the thing?

I tried mentioning it to my doctor the last time Iwas there, but he just dismissed it. He's good at that, so I feel really dumb mentioning anything to him anymore. {#emotions_dlg.blushing}

Valued Contributor

Re: Stupid question - hot flashes?

Hello iam4truth,

I began having hot flashes a few years ago. Because yours seem to last so long, I am not sure that is a hot flash. Typically a hot flash comes and goes pretty quickly. When I had a longer more irritating variety of what I thought was a hot flash it turned out it was not. That was an unusual symptom of Type I diabetes. Now that I am on insulin, the quicky hot flashes are happening, but not as many. Not likely that is your problem but you might want to get some random blood sugars done. Fasting blood sugar tests don't always show anything as that is the last number that goes up. It also might be a good idea to consider changing doctors if your current physician is not responsive or makes you feel dumb when you ask a question. It is your health and ultimately you are responsible for it, don't take that kind of treatment from a medical professional who should know better than to do that in the first place. Good luck to you.

“The price of light is less than the cost of darkness.”
– Arthur C. Nielsen
Respected Contributor

If you are not in the typical age range for this, then see a medical provider ASAP. They conduct tests to determine if that is actually the case. I know it is possible to have similar symptoms with PCOS.

If this is the case, however:

Not everyone gets the same type

I have had waves of warmth sans sweating. This happens later in the day. You can alleviate them, but cutting down on alcohol, caffeine and sugar. Exercise will help. Keep the room cool and wear lighter clothing. If you're not allergic to ibuprofen, taking a low dose can help.

Some women add phytoestrogens to their diet. I don't like to see people go crazy, because some things can mix with medication. Check everything with your PCP.

Good luck.

Super Contributor

Flushing can be from diabetes? I am type 2, but this flushing just started in the past few weeks. I suppose something could have gone off. I am out of test strips (don't have the money right now...those things are pricy {#emotions_dlg.unsure}). It has been in good control and i've been good with my diet, so it didn't occur to me that that could have gotten worse. Totally new symptom for me if that's what it is...thanks for pointing out the possibility!

I've been thinking about changing doctors for a while now, but they've made it so difficult now that you don't just see one doctor for everything now. When your primary care doctor dismisses something, you hardly know where to go - do you call your endocrinologist, your rheumatologist, your gyno... In this case I think I'll bypass my primary doctor and call my endo. I'm due for the nephropathy screening anyway.

Super Contributor

Doesn't sound like hot flashes to me. I had them from age 44-51 and they were always at different times during the day, during different situations, lasted about 10-15 minutes, then I had this awful "cool down/clammy" period after. Alcohol and sometimes a very sweet dessert would bring them on, as well as stressful situations. Red face, extreme heat all over my body, the urge to rip all my clothes off! I'm so glad those days are gone.

Respected Contributor

You need a new Dr.

Regular Contributor

On 3/26/2014 ellaphant said:

You need a new Dr.

Amen to that!

Super Contributor

Thanks you guys. I knew this wasn't the typical "hot flash" thing I've heard of, but Iw anted to ask anyway since i'm in that age range, and other things are starting to "change". I wasn't sure if this was part of 'it' or not!

LOL, I've been procrastinating changing my primary doctor. I'd like to find a woman that doesn't just dismiss all female issues as "just one of those things". I'm 47, so it seems like just about anything can be brushed off as "well, you are at that age..." The doctor before this one was even worse talking about women issues, so picking a new one is just a scary roll of the dice.

Valued Contributor

iam4truth,

For me, that was one of the symptoms, but I was told it is atypical. Interestingly, most of the symptoms of menopause are quite similar to diabetes. I have found the cheapest place to buy strips is Amazon. I use the TrueTrack meter and buy my strips for around $9.00 for 50. The vendors ship for free and very fast, I usually get my strips in 2-3 days. Testing is so critical to good control. I have been very fortunate to be able to get my blood sugars down to 85-125 on a multiple dose insulin program and a very low carbohydrate diet. If you use a different meter, strips are cheaper at Sam's club, $15 for 50. Sometimes, if you call the company that makes the meter and strips, they will send you a few boxes free to tide you over. As for your doctor, I hope the endo is more responsive to your concerns. Best wishes.

“The price of light is less than the cost of darkness.”
– Arthur C. Nielsen
Frequent Contributor

WHOA. First of all, iam4truth, GET A NEW DOCTOR! Dismissing your problems is totally unacceptable, what a huge jerk. Honestly I think having a woman gynocologist, at our age, is essential. Ok, here is my advice: after gettng your new doc, get your hormones screened again so they can see exactly the levels. In the meantime, try using an otc pill called Estroven. I used it, the Extra Strength version, when I was styarting to have flashes asnd it worked beautifully. It does take abour 10 days for it to build up enough inyour system but after that, everything was hunky dory. It worked on the night sweats too.

HRT is something to consider too. It's a very personal choice and isn't right for everyone of course. I use it, I am on a small patch of estrogen called Minivelle. I feel so much better on it! No more mood swings and rages now that my hormone level is stable. Best of luck to you, I hope you can find relief.