Super Contributor

I hear this term used all the time. Eat walnuts to burn belly fat, or eat coconut oil to burn belly fat. Is there really a food that burns just belly fat? I always thought it was less calories in, more calories burned = fat burned. I would like to lose a little belly fat that seems to accumulate after menopause. I could probably lose about 5 pounds. Would like to have it come off my belly! Is this theory of burning belly fat with certain foods or supplements valid or is it hype?? Even Dr Oz is on the burn belly fat idea on his show. I eat walnuts and use coconut oil. {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

Valued Contributor

I think fat comes off evenly. Then saves the belly fat and upper arm fat for last.

Honored Contributor

No way...this is all bogus.

Aerobic exercise and cutting calories are the only things that work. Take it from one who knows!

I have worked out with a trainer for 3 years now...my stomach muscles are very toned...but until I cut out what I ate...I didn't look any different. The muscles were hidden by a layer of fat.

My FitBit Zip has really helped me track how much I actually move every day.

Honored Contributor

Hype. If you eat certain foods that inflame, you will bloat...which causes your mid-section to "pooch" out. Remove those foods & your mid-section reduce....but it you have an inch of fat on top, eating certain foods won't reduce the fat in top no matter how flat your mid-section is. Spot reducing is/has/never will work.

Honored Contributor

No, that is just marketing. There are no foods (or magic pills) that target specific areas.

Coconut oil contains a high amount of MCT oil & our bodies use it differently than other oils. Especially when used with a controlled carb nutrition plan, coconut oil is used for energy. It is great to use in a meal before working out. It is best to use coconut oil in place of other oils as it is actually lower in calories than other oils, too. Then there are the many other health benefits. CO is pretty great stuff.

Forget the scale & losing pounds. They mean nothing when it comes to fat. Track your measurements instead. You should focus on eating healthy and doing some weight training (though even this won't burn fat from any special area) to lower your body fat while increasing muscle mass.

Super Contributor

Thank-you for your input ! I guess I just have to keep up with my plan to stick to my cutting back the calories a tweek, and walking more. Since I quit work, I know I am less active as my retail job was on my feet. I have a fitBit and have only tracked 7000 steps per day WITH my walking for a half hour a day as well. I would like to do 10,000 steps. I would have to walk an hour a day rather than just a half hour I guess.... I will think about that and how I could do it consistently.... that is the hard part. Sticking to my plan! Thanks again!Smile

Super Contributor

I have tried all of the alleged belly fat burning products, and none of them have worked for me. I don't have much belly fat to begin with, but am always trying to have less! Unfortunately, the only thing that works for me is running. I think any cardio (or calorie burn for that matter) will help, but it's usually proportionally lost, as opposed to spot reduction.

Honored Contributor

The Fitbit is good for increasing ones activity level but, personally, I don't consider walking exercise. I'm evil that way. lol... I use mine in addition to cardio & weight training. Even doing regular exercise it is easy to have a sedentary lifestyle, especially if one works at a computer all day.

I've got a weekly step goal that is reasonable and I work at it throughout the day, then usually go for an evening walk. I make sure I get over the goal each day & then I increase my goal a bit for the next week. By not increasing my goal too much at once I don't set myself up for failure & have managed to hit my goal even on days when life requires me to sit for longer than usual periods of time.

Super Contributor
On 3/23/2014 Happy Elizabeth said: I have tried all of the alleged belly fat burning products, and none of them have worked for me. I don't have much belly fat to begin with, but am always trying to have less! Unfortunately, the only thing that works for me is running. I think any cardio (or calorie burn for that matter) will help, but it's usually proportionally lost, as opposed to spot reduction.

Thanks Elizabeth. I will just stick to my plan on cutting portions. I eat very healthy, but a calorie is a calorie no matter be it healthy or not. Say, Off Topic, but did you by chance also order Iman's pants with the side leg pockets and the harem style at the ankles? I wish I had got those in black but they are sold out in size small darn it! Maybe they will come back with the returns.... Looking forward to the other pants we both ordered. Let me know what you think of them when you get yours. Smile

Super Contributor

take proper exercise..