Regular Contributor

Any suggestions to deal with 1st degree radiation burn on underarm towards my back? I've tried aloe from the plant, a vitamin e salve and hydrogel pad and see no improvement. Am concerned this will escalate and might have to stop treatment before it's finished.

TIA, Seannie

Honored Contributor

Get a script for Silverdine cream from your doc, it is amazing

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Esteemed Contributor

Ask your Doctor for a script for Silvadene Cream. It's the wonder drug for burns.

ETA I know from personal experience it is frequently given for radiation burns.

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Frequent Contributor
Also the radiation Dr's, nurse's and techs should be monitoring and helping with this. I know they told my Mom no lotions that contain alcohol, which apparently a lot of them have! Good Luck!!
Honored Contributor

I agree you should seek help from your physician in treating this type of burn. Using different topicals will likely result in a cellulitis type of infection on the skin. I agree that Silvadene works wonders for burns. Best wishes to you with your treatments.

Honored Contributor
I have never heard of anyone on radiation treatments not being constantly monitored by the radiation nurses for burns as they almost always do occur. Just point it out to them tomorrow when you go for your treatment, and they will know what to do for it. I have not had radiation for decades so i don't know what they are treating it with now a days. Until you go back - just be sure you keep the area clean - maybe cover with a telpha pad (they don't stick) to keep your clothes from rubbing it.
Respected Contributor

If you are getting radiation because of cancer, this is not a regular type of what we think of as a burn, so please be very careful what you put on it.

The nurses or radiologist should have a few different options for you - I had 3 different things I used and it did get worse before it got better, that is to be expected.

I wish you well in your treatment.

Honored Contributor

you radiological oncologist should have given you a prescription for Silvedene cream; I would call and ask for one; also make sure to follow whatever guidelines you were given prior to your treatment

Valued Contributor

I was checked several times a week by the nurse when getting radiation. Was told to tell her if any discomfort occurred in between the checks. Saw the doctor once a week. By the 6th week I had to skip a day and was given Silvedene and some gel pads that are used on burn victims. It does get worse before it gets better.

Respected Contributor

When I was going through radiation for breast cancer my dr recommended Swan Cream, you do not an RX, but can only get it behind the prescription counter. He said to start using it even before my first treatment. I did, I still got very red but the burning wasn't too bad. Good luck during your journey and pamper yourself.