Contributor

Dash Diet - Any tips on working this diet with a live in boyfriend that won'l eat this food?

I really need to lose weight. I KNOW the only way for me is to not cheat and follow it strictly. However, my boyfriend is 5'11" and weights 170 lbs soaking wet. He loves his food, and his motabolism allows him to eat whatever he wants. He's 54 and still wearing his high school size. HOW can I make the DASH diet work but still offer him the food he is used to eating? Will I have to buy twice as much food and cook 2 dinners? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also, has anyone used this diet and lost weight?

Thanks in advance.

Respected Contributor

Re: Dash Diet - Any tips on working this diet with a live in boyfriend that won'l eat this food?

What is the Dash diet?

Valued Contributor

Re: Dash Diet - Any tips on working this diet with a live in boyfriend that won'l eat this food?

Hi, Venus....I applaud your efforts to lose weight but eating real food in small amounts is the way to go. It took time to out on the pounds and it takes time to get it off and keep it off. I'm not talking about eating less fried food or dough nutsSmiley Happy but good healthy food prepared well. Take what you would normally eat and cut it in half. Save the rest for a "snack" after only a few days you will not want as much food or much of the "snack". I also recommend that you walk or workout 30 minutes a day and to help you use the free app Lose It! You just log your current weight, your goal weight, how much you want to lose a week, which should be about a pound and it will give you the number of calories to consume. Yes, calories do count. When you have to log I every thing you eat you become very aware of the snacking, etc and that should get cut out first. I am suggesting this route because I am a retired long time personal trainer and coach and fitness instructor. I have seen my clients try everything under the sun, they may lose weight right away only to gain it back. Doing it this way will give you long term success. I wish you well.
Respected Contributor

On 3/5/2014 mima said:

What is the Dash diet?

DASH=dietary approaches to stopping hypertension. It is endorsed by the American Heart Association & is a top-rated diet. There's a wealth of information on the internet about it.

Venus-best of luck to you in your efforts to live a healthier lifestyle. You won't like this, but I say tell your boyfriend he can either eat what you prepare for yourself, or he can make his own meals. If he really cares about you, he will be supportive in your efforts.

Honored Contributor

Their website promotes a PBS special....check your local listings for viewings:

The DASH diet is based on the research studies: Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension, and has been proven to lower blood pressure, reduce cholesterol, and improve insulin sensitivity. Blood pressure control with the DASH diet involves more than just the traditional low salt or low sodium diet advice. It is based on an eating plan proven to lower blood pressure, a plan rich in fruits, vegetables, and low-fat or nonfat dairy . It emphasizes whole grains and contains less refined grains compared with a typical diet. It is rich in potassium, magnesium, calcium, and fiber. Your doctor may have recommended this eating plan; it is also recommended by:

-) The National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (one of the National Institutes of Health, of the US Department of Health and Human Services)

-) The American Heart Association

-) The Dietary Guidelines for Americans

-) US guidelines for treatment of high blood pressure

Honored Contributor

There's probably a greater than zero chance your BF would benefit from this WOE (way of eating) as well. It's not ALWAYS about losing weight. If he's active, stress to him...clean fuel for his body means better performance.

Honored Contributor

I am having the same problems with my DH - i am on a low fat diet and he INSISTS on buying beef for dinner. Usually we go to the butcher shop together but this week he went while i was at an appointment and bought beef and pork! We can't afford to buy two meats for every meal and honestly, i refuse to cook two meals every evening.
Contributor

On 3/5/2014 happy housewife said: I am having the same problems with my DH - i am on a low fat diet and he INSISTS on buying beef for dinner. Usually we go to the butcher shop together but this week he went while i was at an appointment and bought beef and pork! We can't afford to buy two meats for every meal and honestly, i refuse to cook two meals every evening.

That's what I am afraid of. We can't afford two meals every night, plus he's retired, and I still work. Several nights a week he cooks for me. It will be hard enough for me to get used to cooking every night much less two meals. He really wants to be supportive, so I was just asking for any tips and wanted to see if anyone has lost weight on this. I'm on medication that causes weight gain, so it is very hard for me to lose. I'm determined to though.

Respected Contributor

Eat lots more veggies and much less of the meat. You or he can prepare the same food, just alter the proportions..... he gets most of the meat and you get most of the veggies. It will be a test of your self control and the veggies will have to be prepared without butter, oil, sauces. So you both need to be flexible. Add big salads, yours with dressing on the side (or none) and his any way he likes them. In the long run eating smaller portions of meat will be a good way to help maintain the weight you lose. Good luck.

Honored Contributor

Each cook your own meals.