Regular Contributor
I just got fitted for my second pessary in 3 weeks. I feel it makes my incontinence worse. I don't want any surgery. Everything I read about them, says they're great. I do know how to insert them and have no trouble doing it. But, it just doesn't work. Does anyone else find this also. Or am I the only one on Earth that a pessary doesn't help?
Honored Contributor

I can't answer your question, but I did find this site that might be helpful.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1949074/

Regular Contributor
Thanks lolakimono. I've read every thing the internet had to offer. That's why I came here. There is nothing about it not working.
Super Contributor
I spoke to my Mom about your situation, since she has had a pessary for many years and it works well for her. She asked if you still feel a drop because this may be a sizing issue...pessarys come in different sizes. In her opinion, it could also be a fitting problem...she suggested you return to your doctor and have him/ her reinsert it properly. She visits her doctor regularly (every few months) to have it removed, cleaned and reinserted. Good luck...hope this helps you.
Regular Contributor
Funwun, I've been fitted twice. My Doctor tried to go to the next size up, but ouch, that didn't work. But thanks for asking your Mom for me.
Respected Contributor

There are some women a pessary does not work well for and for some it will not work at all and that is usually a size/fitting issue.

Depending on your prolapse and other factors, a pessary may not be an option. Unfortunately I don't think there are too many other options besides surgery (make sure it is done by a uro-gynecologist who is experienced in these types of surgeries, don't be afraid of the "mesh" scare - talk to the dr) or wearing an undergarment for incontinence.

Anyway, I wish you well and please do let your dr know the issues you are having with it.

Regular Contributor
Thanks Lannie, I did talk to my doctor about the surgery. He also told me the "mesh' is not the same. I just don't think I want to do that. I am doing exercises that I hope will help. I'm just so disappointed that the pessay didn't work. And now I'm out $300 and have two useless pessaries. But I had to try. I also heard the surgery doesn't always work. My Mother in law had it without success. I'm a very active person, I play tennis, weight lift, hike, a personal trainer. I read such wonderful things about the pessary, Well, maybe the kegel exercises will work.
Regular Contributor

I have a pessary for 2 yrs and it works for me. I should have gotten it sooner, but I was scared off by what I read. I also did not want surgery so the uro-gynecologist suggested I try the pessary. Finally, I decided to give it a try. Mine is for a prolapsed uterus (which is quite severe). I have the ring with support, which I can take out whenever I want to myself. I generally take it out at least once a wk to clean it, but I put it right back as it helps hold everything in place . My problem really wasn't incontinence though. I was not having those issues, mine was merely the dropped uterus. That is why I didn't want surgery, as often times, you are left with incontinence issues, or the surgery needs to be re-done again in a short time, etc. Sorry you are having problems, but perhaps it isn't the right kind or the right fit. (there are many variations). I was lucky, it took less than 5 minutes for the fit & I didn't really have problems (which quite honestly I was expecting). Good luck.

Contributor

My gynecologist tried either 2 or 3 pessarys on me and they were all very uncomfortable and I could not wear any of them. I just went ahead and had the hysterectomy and that ended all of my prolapse problems. I just wish I had done it sooner.

Contributor

Hi,I just had surgery on 6th of February.Spent one night in hospital.Did not have any pain,best thing I have ever done.