Respected Contributor

Not sure how to even explain this....hope as I go along it makes sense!

I have never been a "high energy" kind of person. Never woke up in the morning feeling fired up to go for the day. I basically drag myself out of bed and it's always been that way.

I wear out doing most any physical activity. Example:I went grocery shopping in the a.m. and then in the afternoon went clothes shopping yesterday @ Kohl's looking thur sale items for some dress pants. Had my coupon/cash and spent a few hours going thur all the sale racks and trying things on. I think I was there for 2 1/2hrs...I was determined to find some pants that fit me!

Well I was feeling so wiped out....shaking inside if that makes sense. Drove home and had to lay down...as my back/neck/shoulder/legs/feet were hurting badly. I have other problems related to this and pain doing things is a issue. I am in my late 40's so I don't think I should be feeling like a train ran me over to go shopping.

This is par for the course for me....went on a trip to Chicago a few yrs back....just a few days...lot's of walking...sight seeing....eating out....I was completely spent. It took me a week to "recover" from the exhaustion of going on vacation.

I do have hashi thyroiditist and am treated correctly for it. Have done cortisol saliva testing and it came back normal. I am waiting on my last lab work results presently...office is to call me and send copy of my labs out.

House cleaning can do this to me also...shoveling any snow...forget it...I just can't do that anymore.

My spouse just thinks I am "out of shape" and if I just press on I'll get stronger...but that doesn't seem to work for me. Today I am still shaking and so tired I can't do much of anything. I have zero energy cause I spent it all yesterday at store!

Women my age that I know aren't like this at all. Some work full time...I don't....do all yard work...shop alot...and do all kinds of things. None of them work out at a gym and they don't feel like this. I feel like people wouldn't believe me if I try to explain it.

My doc knows and he is great about making sure my thyroid medication (armour) is correct...opitimal...I spent yrs learning about this all (stop the thyroid madness website back then) and found a internist that "gets it" and doesn't short change my meds on me. BUT even with doing this I still can't seem to get stronger/endurance going.

I have been just living with it...functioning best as I can. I got a job awhile back and had to quit due to the physical demands. I don't feel to bad about that now as 6 other people after me quit it also within days LOL...they finally have hired 2 people to try and do it...not sure how it's working (my friend works there and will tell me if they quit also) but still I worked for them for 2 days...and it took me 7 days to recover and feel abit better!

I have many examples...it makes me feel ashamed....I don't know what's wrong with me...and my labs keep coming back normal.

I don't have a income to afford out of pocket doctors....mine will order tests and try meds with me...I just saw him last month. I am thinking of going back again....I am stressed but who isn't? I don't sleep well...last night you would think since I was so tired out I'd sleep great...nope...I woke up alot. (I do not snore) In fact the more I am exhuasted the worse my rest is.

Reading my post here makes me sound all over the place....also my thinking is slow and not sharp...that's how bone tired I am. I could see feeling like this if I worked out 5days a week...worked full time...had a house full of young kids...and on and on. I don't...I simply can't do all that physically for some reason.

There is another thread about adrenal fatigue...the OP does much of these things and is very tried...but how can she do all those things? that thread just confuses me even more.

I need to figure out if something is wrong....and fix it IF I can. I have done the Vit D and B12 testing and supplementing...it doesn't do a thing for me. My iron is perfect and so are the iron stores (ferritin)...so it's not that. I know there's more I have tried for yrs now but nothing seems to make a change for me. I keep all copies of my labs for yrs and watch everything for changes...nothing. I just don't get it.

If anyone has anything to suggest please do...I'd love some ideas...then I can go back with them to my doc and see if any of them are "it".

Honored Contributor

How are your sodium levels? Low sodium levels have been leaving my mom week and confused and she has to take salt tablets to maintain her sodium. This has been pretty recent.

Definitely go back to the doctor. I know you said it's out-of-pocket and that your doctor seems to be good, but if you aren't getting answers, it might be time for a second opinion.

Honored Contributor

I corrected ferritin, D3, & B12 deficiencies and still felt similarly to how you describe.

I added the liquid ionic form of magnesium (blood tests rarely show deficiencies of magnesium because most is stored in other parts of our bodies) and have felt amazingly better. Pills and capsules don't usually work & did nothing at all for how I felt.

Magnesium oil is another form that helps me feel good but it is less convenient to use. I use both kinds, liquid & oil.

I add the liquid magnesium to a glass of water; it tastes horrible straight but the flavor almost disappears in water.

Frequent Contributor

I can totally relate, about 17 years ago I was energy, burned the candle at both ends, then one day I was exhausted, went threw massive tests could fall asleep or felt so spaced out. MD thought I had narcolepsy, I had to quit my high sale job and I slept literally 6 months straight, constantly exhausted, ached all over ( I even swear my hair hurt), gain 70lbs. I had went to multiply MD until one day a MD diagnosied me with Fibromylgia and chronic fatigue, I was so excited to finally find out what was wrong, then the bad news came, there was no cure but he started me on Lyrica but of course with meds come side effects extreme weight gain, brain fog, no energy and had to keep going up in dosage. I lost my Mother and she had left me some funds, so I took my self to Atlanta to the Fibro/chronic fatigue center and of course Insurance would not pay, almost every lab result came back abnormal per there values, I went on multiply supplements which were very expensive, but MD started me on a thyroid compound and cortisol, Pain medication and anxiety med that when I sleep I don't move. When I came home to ND I then struggled to find a MD to follow my case and believed in the disease. That is where it is frustrating, but MD I now have lets me take the meds Altanta doctor recommended. I cant say life is great, I work full time as a nurse and on my days off I am exhausted and rest to rebuild for next work days. Every day is a challenge and some of the smallest tasks are major. Just from your description of how you feel I would bet any amount of money that you have Fibro/Chronic Fatigue. My prayers are with you and I hope you find a diagnosis and a MD that can help.

Trusted Contributor

You might want to try an elimination diet focusing on dairy, gluten, and sugar to see if it's diet-related. There are many out there, but the premise is all the same--eat whole, unprocessed foods (eliminating the aforementioned likely offenders) for about two weeks and gradually add them back one or two at a time to identify what, if anything, could be causing the symptoms.

"The good thing about Science is that it's true, whether or not you believe in it."
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Honored Contributor

Sneef, I have a diagnosis of Fibro, too. I had no interest in the prescription for Lyrica my doctor handed me.

Eating similarly to how ballinmom suggests helped eliminate most of my pain. Adding the liquid magnesium took care of most of my fatigue.

Honored Contributor

Bless your heart. Sounds like you've done your due-diligence by going to the the Dr & getting the proper tests. Hopefully the ladies on these boards can give some good advice. I don't have any ideas, but ending Good Karma your way, anyway. <3.

Contributor

Could you have Sleep Apnia?

My recommendation is to find a Dr that hears you, no matter what the cost. It sounds like you have insurance. Find another Dr that you can see. I loved my primary care dr. But for years when I would tell her my symptoms, she would recommend anti-depressants. The last time I had blood work when her office called me I literally had a panic attack because I was so upset they couldn't find anything wrong.

I made an appt. with an Endocrinologist. Best move I EVER made. She looked at my results and said "this isn't normal." She then game me a bunch of symptoms, and it was like she was reading my mind. She sent me for more blood work, and I am happy to say with some Synthroid (never generic) and prescription iron pills I am a new person. What you are saying sounds like how I was. I'm 39, and my husband has MS. He has more energy than me, and does more in a day than I do. I was feeling hopeless. I didn't give up finding someone who will listen. You shouldn't. Good luck.

Respected Contributor
On 2/18/2014 willdob3 said:

I corrected ferritin, D3, & B12 deficiencies and still felt similarly to how you describe.

I added the liquid ionic form of magnesium (blood tests rarely show deficiencies of magnesium because most is stored in other parts of our bodies) and have felt amazingly better. Pills and capsules don't usually work & did nothing at all for how I felt.

Magnesium oil is another form that helps me feel good but it is less convenient to use. I use both kinds, liquid & oil.

I add the liquid magnesium to a glass of water; it tastes horrible straight but the flavor almost disappears in water.

Hello willdob3...could you tell me the brand name of this liquid magnesium product...I have never heard of that. I have tried mag in the past but it was pill form and I couldn't tolerate the bowl issues it causes. I notice I feel better somewhat after using epsom salts in a bath soaking for abit...but it doesn't last and I can't do baths very often.

Also I seem to have a issue with Vit D supplements too...for some reason...I have tried gel caps and tablets but after awhile on them the nevers in my teeth go nuts and I develop terrible sensitivity pain...even went to dentist about that and nothing was/is wrong...great check up in fact...x-rays everything. I stopped the vit D and a few weeks later it stopped. Perhaps you could recommend a brand of this also I could take as I need to keep my level up...I can't do sun exposure...have chronic rosacea and pikloderma (sp?) on my neck/chest badly and get prickly heat flare ups.

I also just got a call from doc's office...my thyroid level is low! he is raising it so maybe that will help some. I will have to go back to have new labs after being on new dose for awhile. Also my Vit D level dropped to 31...and b12 dropped to 412....so he wants be taking this.

They will mail out my lab work...but my other things are normal like sodium/potassium.

I have been told I may have fibro by my doc...he did so many other labs when I 1st became his patient...thought I had lupus at 1st due to lab work...but after in depth testing it all came back negative.

I have trigger point pain all over...have books on it....I feel like I am 90 some days.

Thank you ladies for encouraging thoughts and ideas I really appreciate it.

My doc is wonderful....he has told me to try the elimanition type diet and I haven't ...yet...I know I should...I'll try to get it together and commit to it. I have been tested for so much stuff and it comes back normal...no celiac disease....but I do have IBS-D (not Constipation which is IBS-C).

Honored Contributor

tsavorite

Didn't read every word here and I see you mentioned Iron and Ferritin levels. Maybe I missed it but I didn't see hemoglobin numbers in your thread and if you have had Iron and Ferritin checked I am assuming you hemoglobin does not put you into the anemic category, no?

You mention that you have "never been high energy", not sure what that means, but it suggests to me you have never been an athlete or close to it. Don't know your age and am smart enough with the ladies not to ask so will go another route with this.

There is such a thing as being "terribly physically unfit" without there being any physical underlying causes. I can use myself as an example of where I was after many physical injuries from sports and my other "killer type of things" from which I had to start my recovery from what I considered "zero energy". As one that has been at "100 energy" most of my adult life, it is even harder to start at "point zero" and coming back.

The only positive thing of once being at the top of physical fitness is that "muscles have memory" and a person can regain their fitness faster. But "faster" does not mean in a day/week or even months. After a leg injury and not being able to use my legs for cardiovascular fitness for 19 months, it took me about a year and a half to even come close to the fitness I possessed at the time of the injury. I am talking about starting very slowly, maybe 2 minutes of slow walking, and gradually increasing the effort and the amount of time. It still took me as long to recover to a good point as I was laid off from the injury, and I still was not back to where I had left off.

My only point is saying that someone can be totally healthy and so physically unfit that they have to start a program where you appear to be doing nothing that will help you. That is where I've started my "come back" more times than I care to remember. It took lots of mental strength to continue doing what at one time was nothing to me, and still being worn out from doing it. It works on one's mind, and I believe moreso for someone that has been in top physical shape most of their adult life and common daily things were just taken for granted.

Don't know if any of this helps you. I just decided to put something here to let you know that some can be in such terrible fitness that any little effort is exhausting. I've been there during several of my "zero recovery" times and it ain't easy.

All I can do is wish you the best and maybe something I said might help.

hckynut(john)