Frequent Contributor

Does anyone know anything about Long Term Care Insurance and is it worth it?

Honored Contributor

What you will get here is personal experiences, but unless you know ages, income, family situations, savings, health conditions, etc., those experiences may have nothing to do with who you are.

No one, whether here or someone selling financial products, ought to be telling you whether LTC is "worth it" until they know the answer to all the above topics and more.

My advice to anyone I advise is to read as much as you can find out about LTC and then ask a more specific question, but be very careful. That whole industry is undergoing massive changes, so books and articles written even 5 years ago aren't necessarily true for today.

Trusted Contributor

As soon as the government agency who I was working for offered LTC insurance, I signed up for it. I'm retired now, and I still kept it. I wouldn't be without it. It puts my mind at ease. Check out the web sites of some of the popular financial advisors like Suse Orman, Dave Ramsey, and see what insurance companies they suggest.

Honored Contributor

I am presently a recipient of long term care benefits. It tooks months to get it processed, and a lot of work on my part, but I am qualified to receive it and I am receiving it. It is making a huge difference in my life, and I am so glad I stuck with paying the premiums for twenty years. It was expensive, but I made it a priority because I knew that was all I was going to have. Coincidentally with my claim, the premiums have doubled for those who still have the policy but are not sick yet. I don't know if I could have afforded to keep it based upon the new premiums. For once in my life, I got in just under the wire. Once one starts collecting, premiums are no longer required to be paid.

It is changing though, the policy I had is no longer available from my insurance company for new employees. I was obviously "grandfathered" in because I had the policy for so long. With people like me living longer, but quite debilitated, I think the insurance companies lose money on long term care policies now, so they are beginning to stop offering them.

If one has a policy, I would suggest keeping it. The benefits are very significant once one has qualified.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

DH and I are in our mid 60s and we opted not to get LTC insurance. To me it seems that there are too many loopholes, i.e., premiums can escalate dramatically, companies go out of business. etc. Since we have no children, at some point we plan to enter a Life Care facility that has independent living, assisted care and nursing home all in one building. The entrance fees and monthly costs can be substantial but we feel it is a better value for us and will provide security and peace of mind.

Honored Contributor
I've had it for years and wouldn't be without it. The younger you are when you enroll, the cheaper the premium.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor

Susie ORMAN said it was a great thing IF you are sure you can continue to afford to pay the premiums well into retirement. To start it and then drop it because it got too expensive, would be a total waste.

Honored Contributor
After learning what it cost to keep my Dad in a nursing home for a few months, DH and I signed up for this insurance as soon as we turned 50 through AARP. Ours is through Met Life - despite that someone on this BB insists that Met Life no longer offers this insurance. They still send us a monthly bill and we still pay it so the coverage does go on. We are now 65 & 69 and if we tried to buy coverage now it would cost a fortune - you really have to buy it as soon as you can so the high cost of it is spread out over a period of time. We did not need to get physicals or send them any health information. Personally , i would not be without this coverage. Ours is called POST HOSPITAL COVERAGE. So it covers home health aides and nurse and PT or hospice or nursing home care. Good luck in your research about this.
Honored Contributor
On 2/18/2014 Barbiedr said:

Susie ORMAN said it was a great thing IF you are sure you can continue to afford to pay the premiums well into retirement. To start it and then drop it because it got too expensive, would be a total waste.

The thing is - if you start it while you are younger it isn't that much per month. It only gets pricey when you wait to get it til your older.
Honored Contributor
OP - look into AARP and see what they have to offer.