Contributor

One of the beauty threads about hand cream mentioned the use of hot wax for arthritis in the hands and fingers. I have recently developed this condition and will be mentioning it to my doctor next month. I find that I get a bit of relief from Alieve. Also running my hand under ice cold water helps with the burning very temporarily. Do any of you have a way of dealing with this that helps you? Has anybody tried acupuncture?

Occasional Contributor

Just want to let everyone know, since I can't find the fibro thread!, that I've found a new topical pain reliever that is so good I almost can't believe it. It's Outback brand pain relieving roll-on. Bought it on sale online from Walgreens for $10, regularly about $20......was so impressed I ordered a pump bottle of it on Amazon. All natural so not scary, and it absolutely works like a dream. We fibro/arthritis/butsitis gals have needed something like this for SO LONG ~ I'm so thankful to have found it.

Ltdow

Honored Contributor

I saw a video online of a man that would put his hands in a sink of very cold water for as long as he could stand it, and then warm water for a few minutes. He did it several times in the video and said it worked well. I never tried it and had never heard of anything like it but he swore by it.

I wanted to add that he was some sort of physical therapist. I believe he tried to use natural methods when possible.

Respected Contributor

I started having constant pain at the bottoms of my thumbs as they attach to the hand. The ultrasound showed changes there, too. My internist referred me to an OT. The OT gave me soft and hard splints. He had handouts about pain relief and how to do daily chores to avoid strain. I am pleased with the results. Oh, his heating method was to put rice in a sock and warm it in the microwave. Easier than the wax.

Honored Contributor

I use Tommy Copper fingerless gloves. For me, the copper works well and stops the deep ache I get in my hands. I wear them to bed and especially when I'm on the computer. I purchased them (and a knee wrap) from the Tommy Copper website.

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Esteemed Contributor
On 1/29/2015 Ltdow said:

Just want to let everyone know, since I can't find the fibro thread!, that I've found a new topical pain reliever that is so good I almost can't believe it. It's Outback brand pain relieving roll-on. Bought it on sale online from Walgreens for $10, regularly about $20......was so impressed I ordered a pump bottle of it on Amazon. All natural so not scary, and it absolutely works like a dream. We fibro/arthritis/butsitis gals have needed something like this for SO LONG ~ I'm so thankful to have found it.

Ltdow

sounds good Ltdow..love anything natural too!

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Esteemed Contributor
On 9/21/2013 Pook said:

I have had arthritis in both hands for about 15 years and have those bumps on my fingers. I was told by my doctor that most don't have pain with those but I sure did. So much so that i could barely touch those finger joints and it felt like I had very bad bruises on each finger. I won't take any prescription meds due to the side effects. I did use arnica and it helped some. I started drinking a shot of noni juice daily as well as a glass of dark cherry juice - from concentrate most days and in about 2 months no more pain. The bumps are still at the joints but no pain whatsoever.

Pook, do you think you had gout?? I know that cherry juice really helps..may need to give it a shot..although the sugar content may not be good for me..!

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Super Contributor

I'm so sorry about the arthritis in your hands. I also agree with the Arnica cream/gel. Also Celadrin cream is excellent. My Orthopedist created a compound cream with some pain relievers that would be otherwise harmful if taken orally for a long time. But because it is in a cream form, it is safer. And it works great! Ask your doctor if he can make you a personalized compound cream. You can use it on other parts of your body that ache too. Good luck.

Respected Contributor

Oh, gosh--My husband had a little bump on his hand and it really hurt. It took 4 drs., but they did say it was a weird sign of gout and put him on meds.

Contributor

Tumeric/Curcumin is an anti-inflammatory. Arthritis is an inflammation and the Curcumin is wonderful. Problem with Tumeric/Curcumin is after going through the digestive system it isn't very bio-available in the body. Be sure to use either one rated at least BCM-95 (7 times better than plain Curcumin). I just started using this product http://www.revgenetics.com/store/p-89-metacurcumin-200-worlds-most-powerful-liquid-curcumin-in-a-pum... and I feel like a new person. The initial price is expensive, but it gives you 300 doses. I wouldn't waste my money on other products - MetaCurcumin is a miracle for me.