Shoes & Handbags Offers
169 Members and 12723 Guests Online

Health & Fitness

Questions about Twisted Colon and occult blood found......

Started 1375192097.037 in Health & Fitness | Last reply 1375268491.693 by luvpoos

This could be kind of long, so I apologize in advance....I had my 5 year colonoscopy performed in June (strong family history) and it was incomplete. My doctor told me I had a twisted colon and he couldn't get all the way through. He advised me to have a Barium Enema, but no hurry. I did go ahead and schedule it for next Tuesday.

I have been having a pain in my left abdomen, since late May, but thought the colonoscopy would rule any problems out. The pain is very dull, and it goes and comes. I don't feel it at all when standing or lying down, just sitting. I went to the dr last week to discuss this, and they gave me blood tests, a urine test and a stool sample test which I did at home and returned to them yesterday.

I got a call late afternoon yesterday to let me know there was occult blood found in my sample. The nurse who called told me after the Barium Enema, the dr would make an appointment and we could talk about the result. So my questions are....

1. Anyone ever deal with a twisted colon?

2. Does occult blood ever come from something besides cancer?

I am very worried as both parents have had Colon cancer. My dad passed away from it in 1981, and my mom is an 8 year survivor. I had a colonoscopy 5 years ago and it was clean no twisted colon then.

I appreciate any feedback! Thanks!

Page 1 of 1
lolakimono1375192508.1413029 PostsRegistered 3/29/2012

No twisted colon for me, but a family member needed a resection and there is diverticulosis in the family.

Blood is not "normal" but it doesn't automatically mean cancer. Here are some reasons why you could have blood:

Blood may appear in the stool because of one or more of the following conditions:

1. Benign (noncancerous) or malignant (cancerous) growths or polyps of the colon
  2. Hemorrhoids (swollen blood vessels near the @nus and lower rectum that can rupture causing bleeding)
  3. @nal fissures (splits or cracks in the lining of the @nal opening)
  4. Intestinal infections that cause inflammation
  5. Ulcers
  6. Ulcerative colitis
  7. Crohn's disease
  8. Diverticular disease, caused by outpouchings of the colon wall
  9. Abnormalities of the blood vessels in the large intestine
  10. Meckel’s diverticulum, usually seen in children and young adults

Gastrointestinal bleeding may be microscopic (occult blood), or may be easily seen as red blood, or black tar-like bowel movements, called melena.

poohki1375193598.617185 PostsRegistered 12/9/2005

Thank you for your reply. My mom does have diverticulosis, and had had bouts of diverticulitis. Did your family member have occult blood found in a stool sample?

lolakimono1375194053.8913029 PostsRegistered 3/29/2012

I believe it started off as regular "pain" and then when they did a scan they found a mass that needed to be removed and then they resected the colon. This happened in their early 30s, and no problems now in the 40s.

Diverticulosis is in a few family members. They have been hospitalized before from the pain and needing IV antibiotics. If your mom has it, you might ask her what foods set if off for her and see if you are eating any of those foods. Did you tell the doctor that your mom suffers from that?

Abdominal pain is tricky because there are lots of things that can cause it- irritable bowel, Crohn's, endometriosis, adhesions from other surgeries, ovarian cysts, etc.

For now, I would be concerned about the "twisted" part- is it something that can be manipulated back into place? I'm not being snarky, but I've only heard of this in dogs. If you had serious internal bleeding, you would have the tarry stools or see fresh red blood (or you would be vomiting). The occult blood tells you there is blood from somewhere, but it could be something small.

hckynut1375197635.79319214 PostsRegistered 5/20/2006Nebraska

I've had many colon issues, most of which was a bleeding right colon. I've had it repaired 4 times and have had 13 colonoscopies and 4 Double Balloon Enteroscopies since 2008. As of now the 2011 repair is still holding it together.

No way I would even comment on your issue. My suggestion would be to wait for your doctor to call or however you are receiving the results. While getting feedback on this forum can be a good thing, most times it is best to get the specifics of your issues from the one doing the procedures and/or reading you the results and what they did or did not find.

hckynut(john)

poohki1375203051.977185 PostsRegistered 12/9/2005

Hckynut, I am sorry for all you have gone through and I hope your colon continues to be repaired.

I am not looking for diagnosis on here, just some information. I figured that I can't be the only one with a twisted colon and would like info from others who might have been diagnosed with one. I also don't know a lot about blood in stool samples, so asked that question. Of course I am going to wait to see what my doctor says, but waiting this long is frightening and I was looking for some hope...................

Fifi11375207261.674723 PostsRegistered 1/21/2005
Four years ago at 50 had my required scope, and was told I have a tortuous colon, and the Gastro had some trouble removing the tube due to this. This just really means some twisting, I could have been born with or develop over time, no big concern from dr. More fiber and water were recs. I had a lapro surgery previous year to remove ovaries and tubes and had lots of scar tissue in area as well which made the scope a little more difficult. I was pretty sore for a few days following scope, but no complications. I wouldn't be too concerned at this time, you're on top of it!

misspammie1375208835.0512273 PostsRegistered 3/14/2010now in Virginia

wishing you the best, Poohki. Had diverticulitis and was no fun at all. You seem to have caught this 'whatever' soon enough and you should be just fine. Good thing you had yourself checked out now. Hope all works out well. I'm sure it will.

"jus' sanwiches and milk"

RedTop1375210578.6274392 PostsRegistered 9/1/2010

Two years ago this month my husband had a positive occult blood test, had a colonoscopy, and was diagnosed with diverticulitis. Being summer, he was eating a lot of veggies and fruits with skins and seeds, which had irritated the small pockets in his intestines and caused the bleeding.

My family has a very strong history of colon and bowel issues, so I understand your concerns. Hang in there with faith, and know I wish you well.

Shelbelle1375215592.2334279 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

My friend had a colonoscopy done and was told same thing, doc said he could not complete the test due to the shape of her colon, she was told to have Barium Enema, never did, this was almost 10 years ago. I told my gastro doc about it, and he said much of the time when doctor says the test was incomplete, in reality he has seen as much as he really needs to see, hope this makes sense.

luvpoos1375268206.4235834 PostsRegistered 5/3/2006Kingston Ma

My colonoscopy could not be completed due to scar tissue from having several bouts diverticulitis. I had to have a barium enema. Worst procedure of my life as you have to be awake. It came up clean, but I will never do it again. The techs even warned me when I got there that's it very a very unpleasant procedure. I am not a wimpy patient. I did not have blood in my stool either. I wanted peace of mind so I did it. Not trying to scare you, just prepare you.

you can't always get what you want, but if you try sometime, well you just might find, that you get what you need...The Rolling Stones

luvpoos1375268491.6935834 PostsRegistered 5/3/2006Kingston Ma
On 7/30/2013 RedTop said:

Two years ago this month my husband had a positive occult blood test, had a colonoscopy, and was diagnosed with diverticulitis. Being summer, he was eating a lot of veggies and fruits with skins and seeds, which had irritated the small pockets in his intestines and caused the bleeding.

My family has a very strong history of colon and bowel issues, so I understand your concerns. Hang in there with faith, and know I wish you well.

Yes, there is a very restrictive diet when you have diverticulitis. No seeds and nuts are the biggest no no, skin on fruit has to be pealed, no fresh tomatoes, strawberries, cucumbers, summer squash, etc. I am finding it hard to eat healthy with this diet. I can understand what your husband is going through.

you can't always get what you want, but if you try sometime, well you just might find, that you get what you need...The Rolling Stones

Page 1 of 1