Regular Contributor

We are fortunate to have good dental insurance and a great dentist. However, I recently had to have a crown replaced and received a bill that was almost $300 over what my insurance said I owed. My dentist had been a Provider of that insurance but apparently wasn't happy with what he was being paid and no longer wanted to participate but failed to notify his patients. I only paid what was owed according to my insurance and was called out in the office in front of other people. I know that I am right but was really upset that this happened in public. We have always paid our bills in full and when I came home, wrote and sent a letter to my dentist about the matter. He is an amazing dentist and I don't want to find another but I really let him have it about the lack of ethics on his part. It's like playing poker and then when you get a deuce, you suddenly declare dueces wild in the middle of the game. I spoke to my insurance company and know I'm right but just feel so betrayed and miserable at the thought of finding another dentist. There are a lot of dentists in this area that are providers but they are not very good. I just feel that ethically, he should have given his patients the full facts ahead of time He told me today that he was opting out of the insurance but that was in the middle of my procedure.