Honored Contributor

Women Statin Drugs & Diabetes

They just said on the news that women have a 48% greater risk of developing Type II Diabetes if you take a statin drugs. http://yourlife.usatoday.com/health/medical/diabetes/story/2012-01-09/Study-links-statins-to-higher-...

Respected Contributor

Re: Women Statin Drugs & Diabetes

WAGIRL: when you said " lumps " on your Achilles Tendons, were they rock hard???? I developed one on my right ankle this summer. While it has shrunk significantly, it still looks like a small egg back there. The orthopedic surgeon showed me a large bone spur on the ankle and said that it'd sometimes pick at the tendon and cause pain. He recommended stretches over surgery because of the year- long rehab from cutting the tendon. I'm now concerned because of the station connection mentioned above. I've been on simvastatin( generic Zocor) for quite a while and my blood sugar jumped last month from 98 to 110. Retesting is scheduled.
We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Super Contributor

Ok--this all gives me a headache! I have taken Lipitor (now generic) for a long time. Even stopped it and tried plant based stuff.

I was diagnosed in 2007 with diabetes. My doctor at that time told me, "I would say you were prediabetic but your triglycerides are high, so I'm saying it's diabetes." So I went back on statins for the triglycerides help and on metformin for the diabetes. Just what are you supposed to do?

Respected Contributor

It doesn't really make any sense that if statins cause diabetes (which is a risk factor for heart disease), how can they prevent heart disease? LOL.

I won't take them based on what I have read. Taking statins does not reduce all cause mortality, so people are still dying just of something else - usually cancer.

I have read many books on statins and I have decided that I will not take them. My mother does take them and did develop pre-diabetes (which does not run in the family). My father can't take them due to the extreme muscle weakness they cause.

Honored Contributor

On 1/15/2012 hckynut said:
On 1/9/2012 nightowlz said:

They just said on the news that women have a 48% greater risk of developing Type II Diabetes if you take a statin drugs. http://yourlife.usatoday.com/health/medical/diabetes/story/2012-01-09/Study-links-statins-to-higher-...

Anyone on statin meds as prescribed by their doctors should put all their trust in their doctor and not on articles one sees or hears. If you don't completely trust this doctor I suggest to everyone that they find one that the trust, completely.

Reading about "NEW STUDIES" does nothing but confuse most all of us. I'll do my own research along with that of my doctors and I will feel quite comfortable with all the prescriptions meds I am now taking with their advice.

This is and always has been my view on "the latest studies say??????"

John - Love your answer.

There are as many opinions as there are people, as many reactions to drugs as there are people who take them.

So many medical opinions are based on personal experience. For most of us that means 10 people or fewer. I trust that my doctor has had exposure to many, many more users than that. I trust that experience.

I also have lived long enough to know no meds come without risks and that's there can be risks in taking no meds, too. Tough life!

Millie

Honored Contributor

Hi Vivian- RYR actually IS a statin, but I also have done very well with it. I take CoQ10 every day with it. So far excellent results and no side effects.
Honored Contributor

Diet & exercise would eliminate the need for all drugs....statins AND diabetic medication. Just a low fat, whole foods, plant based diet...with a little movement....it's so easy.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Honored Contributor

On 10/20/2014 sidsmom said:

Diet & exercise would eliminate the need for all drugs....statins AND diabetic medication. Just a low fat, whole foods, plant based diet...with a little movement....it's so easy.

If only this were true for everyone. With my history and the care I've taken of my body since the 1960's? While I am an advocate of good nutrition and exercise, I am also a realist and never make general claims as to how these things will effect those that follow my way of living.

At last count I am taking the necessary 8 different meds and have been for many years now. Side effects? None.

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

On 10/20/2014 sidsmom said:

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

My wish for you is that someone you love and feed via your method (including yourself) never has any experience that proves you wrong.

Hippocrates and you are right that eating well in the right quantities and moving more is better than the opposite. I've just watched too many die young to believe it always works. It works until it doesn't. At that point, I'm so grateful I live among good doctors and near modern hospitals.

Respected Contributor

On 1/10/2012 paie said:
On 1/9/2012 nightowlz said:

Have you read the book "The Wisdom of Menopause" by Dr. Christiane Northrup. Regarding "statins" she said that mortality rates in major clinical trials say the risk benefit is less for women than for men. Plenty of evidence now shows that lower cholesterol, especially in women older than 50 is associated with higher levels of cancer, early death, mental illness and liver disease. We can't win for losing can we!!!!!!!

Regarding low cholesterol: if your cholesterol is low due to statins, that's okay. If you have low cholesterol, low like below the normal range and you are not taking a statin, then yes, is a problem. It could mean your liver is not working as well as it should. II have high cholesterol due to diet and family genes. I take simistatin. No pain or side effects. If you take a statin and have side effects, ask your doctor to prescribe/ try another drug. Due to my job, I I had to sit thru three lectures from cardiologists. Very informative. The one thing all of them mentioned is how important exercise is. It can extend your life by years!