Regular Contributor

Does anyone have any advice on how to obtain an effective disability attorney?

I see advertisements for national firms. I've read that one should NOT go into the social security interviews on their own, they should go with an attorney.

I live in a small, western, state. How would a large, national firm based out of NYC be able to recommend local doctors who could fill out the paperwork correctly and come with me on appts.?

I love my family practice doc, but he is awful with paperwork. My insurance company wouldn't even give me a wheelchair based on the paperwork he sent in. Meanwhile, my pain management physician filled out paperwork for my job and now my job won't let me come back for at least 4 months. It all seems to be based on how things are written up and one's point of view.

Valued Contributor

Re: Does anyone have any advice on how to obtain an effective disability attorney?

I applied online and a meeting was set up. I attended the meeting alone. I was approved based on my doctors reports and my interview with the social security representative. There was a quick turn around time. Good Luck

Frequent Contributor

Re: Does anyone have any advice on how to obtain an effective disability attorney?

I agree it is very difficult. I have a niece who went to a lawyer and got it done. I have a nephew that was given 3 months to live, and got on it very quickly. He lived 9 months, stomach cancer.

Trusted Contributor

I totally agree with nutmeg3 and

"http://www.nosscr.org/ssas/DocumentingDisability.pdf This article gives sample letters with links to SSA disability site. It let you see what a well written doctor letter or report should look like.

http://www.nosscr.org/ This is an organization for lawyers working in the area of SSI/SSDI. There is a referral section, number, and web sites."

This is the best organization that there is for disability law.

The initial application is critical. And SSA makes decisions based solely on doctors' paperwork. An attorney can submit questionnaires to a doctor to get the information needed and follow up to make sure it is sufficient and test results back it up.

Probably seeing an additional doctor would be needed. An experienced attorney would know this.

And do NOT apply online. The application needs to be supplemented with exact lists of medical professionals and facilities you went to and their complete contacts. Also a detailed list of your impairments is crucial. Both of these can only be done with a paper application. Unless you have cancer or ALS (for example) these lists make all the difference.

SSD/I attorneys are paid a set amount by SSA.

Valued Contributor

My initial online application was to get the ball rolling. After that, my doctor at Hopkins followed up with all of the paperwork. I was then called for a meeting with the social security representative. I could not have asked for a better outcome!

Trusted Contributor

From what I've heard and read, the disability process is much quicker and easier in some areas than in others, based on the caseload and what judges are hearing the cases. In some areas, (including where I live), the first application for disability is usually declined, and it takes an appeal to get the case seriously heard and considered. If you feel you need an attorney to help with the process, I'd suggest you check with your local bar association or talk with good attorneys you know for recommendations.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't know if it goes state by state but my friend's wife had her application processed with assistance from the social worker at the hospital. She had a kidney transplant and was approved for SSI indefinitely and she is quite wealthy. End stage renal disease is an automatic approval. I am a nurse but don't know SSI guidelines.
Trusted Contributor

On 4/26/2015 Furry said:

My initial online application was to get the ball rolling. After that, my doctor at Hopkins followed up with all of the paperwork. I was then called for a meeting with the social security representative. I could not have asked for a better outcome!

When you have one main medical institution, particularly of the calibre of Johns Hopkins, you are assured that the documentation of your condition will be in order and totally complete. Most people applying do not have that "luxury". In your case online application, because of Johns Hopkins involvement, was appropriate. You are not the average case.

There is a list of automatic approval illnesses, e.g. end stage renal disease, cancer, ALS, and it goes on. Approval also helps in getting Medicare or other health coverage.

Valued Contributor

Yes you are correct. In fact, I started out with a neurologist who informed me that he would not participate in my disability process. It wasn't long before I left to go to Hopkins for this reason and several other reasons. Thank you for your response.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]
If you have an illness or illnesses that go back a long way and you need to obtain many dates and information, it might be better to use a paper application you can print out from the Social Security website under Benefits, Disability. I tried doing it myself, online, and was getting forms to fill out before I was even finished with the application. I also had a problem saving my application and getting a confirmation number. I advise anyone that is applying online to print. I have no way to print. Certain illnesses automatically qualify. They are listed on the SS site. Other illnesses require meeting the standard that you are unable to do any work. Finding an attorney is not easy where I live. There has been a reduction in law firms handling SSDI. Binder and Binder, for example, is in Chapter 11, I think.