Esteemed Contributor

Oatmeal: 3 weeks later five lb weight loss and meno-pot is gone.

So I was eating yogurt and fruit or an English muffin with peanut butter for breakfast but sick of those decided three weeks ago to switch to a bowl of oatmeal (1/2 cup steel cut oats with almond milk and some dried cranberries) inthe morning.

WOW. Everything I've read about oatmeal is true. It is super filling and has a definite laxative effect but more to the point, it seems to have caused me to lose weight particularly in the belly where noting, not even vigorous exercise, was having an effect.

What a nice surprise that something so yummy and that has so many health claims is the real deal!

Fortēs fortūna adjuvat
Honored Contributor

Re: Oatmeal: 3 weeks later five lb weight loss and meno-pot is gone.

I think the trick with oatmeal making you feel full is to drink plenty of water afterwards.
“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Honored Contributor

Hi Gardensia. What YOU did worked for YOU!!! It was both gracious and generous of you to share. Increasing fiber is VERY helpful for some people seeking help with weight loss.
Respected Contributor

I love steel cut oatmeal too. While it fills me up a couple of hours later, I"m hungry.
Respected Contributor

I lost 120lbs - 20 years ago (yes it was a long time ago) BUT trust me, that was the EASY part compared to keeping it off for 20 years.

One thing I have never changed is my breakfast, I eat this 98% of the time - 1/4 cup Steel Cut oats, 1/2 scoop vegan vanilla protein powder & Cinnamon/Stevia. I also pare it with 3 hard boiled eggs (eat 1 full and the other two I eat only the whites)

Works for me!

Esteemed Contributor

On 12/22/2011 luvboyds said:

I love oatmeal as well and I add as weird as this might sound but cottage cheese to it while it's cooking. It adds protein to it and it just gives it a extra goodness. I add raisins and cinnamon in it as well. Sooo good.

luvboyds - your addition of cottage cheese perked my interest! I'd like to try it: what's the ratio of cottage cheese to oatmeal?

Valued Contributor

I love oatmeal, too. And I feel very full and can go happily until lunchtime without feeling snack. However, I have not lost any weight eating oatmeal. I know it's good for me and many feel that it can help with their #s, including cholesterol levels and others.

Frequent Contributor

On 12/21/2011 leelee said:

High Five that's great! thank you for posting this good reminder! how do you cook your oats? I was cooking them overnight in a small slow cooker for a while but have fallen out of that habit. the almond milk is a nice idea. keep it up!

I also use a slow cooker; any other method seems to make the oatmeal boil over and make a mess. I have a small 1 1/2 quart slow cooker that holds 1/2 cup of steel cut oats and 2 cups of liquid. I usually use 1 cup of almond milk and a cup of water. In the morning, I stir the oatmeal vigorously and have 1 cup with greek yogurt, frozen berries, stevia and some nuts. I save the other cup of oatmeal for the next day. Hope this helps!

Respected Contributor

Have any of you tried "refrigerator oats?" It's a nice change from hot oatmeal.

You put up rolled oats (old fashioned) in layers with Greek yogurt, some honey or maple syrup, chia seeds, and some fruit and some milk (or water) to make it thinner. And maybe some cinnamon. I use raspberries but any fruit works. You put it into pint Mason jars and cap them. Put in fridge. Overnight, you have a pudding consistency porridge that is cold. Like a parfait.

Regular Contributor

Spikes blood sugar. Can cause carbohydrate cravings later in day. I am careful to add walnuts and low sugar fat free plain yogurt to it with fresh blueberries and raspberries and no sugar.