Contributor

Has anyone seen any benefits from taking fish oil supplements?

My elderly mom's doc recommended it for her and since Walgreens has a BOGO on the 1000 mg. size I thought I might try it too. If you've been taking it for a while, what do you think?
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Has anyone seen any benefits from taking fish oil supplements?

I've been taking Omega 3's for years. I've been told it's the foundation for good supplements along with a multi and CoQ10. Andrew Lessman has said that it's important to buy for the most Omega 3's, not the most fish oil. I think it's helpful for everything mentioned above. I don't think it's something after taking you will say wow that works. I think it's important to take all supplements in capsule form instead of a hard tablet for absorption.

Super Contributor

I definitely see results! My blood work shows it in my cholesterol levels, inflammation levels, etc. It is OMEGA OIL that you want, NOT fish oil.

Contributor

I began Omega 3 at the suggestion of my eye doctor. I have been taking them for abut 6 weeks. He told me that it could take up to three months for me to see the benefits. I have dry eye and eye gland issues. My eyes have been improved but I am also using heat packs and special eye drops. I have noticed that my finger nails are nicer, growing faster, less brittle.

Super Contributor

Yes...it helps me with mood. I use the Carlson's liquid lemon flavored fish oil. All you taste is lemon, no aftertaste.

Respected Contributor

On 12/19/2011 hckynut said:

Has anyone seen any benefits from taking fish oil supplements?

I see them every time I have a lipid blood workup, which is every 6 months.

My husband's complexion used to glow if he took Krill oil (similar to fish oil) regularly. I do see a difference in blood lipids, but oatmeal works as well.

Esteemed Contributor

I take PURITY 50 plus Krill OMEGA3 with D3 1000 . Dr WEIL recommended these. Chlor. Went down 30 pts. My Dr. Said Krill better.
Respected Contributor

A few of you have mentioned the brand you take. Can we get some more recommendations please? I'm most interested in "no fishy burps." A long time ago I believe I ordered Andrew Lessman's, and as I recall you had to take five or so pills a day. That was a bit much for me to swallow. HA!

Thank you for any advice on brands you like and why.

Respected Contributor

On 4/25/2015 pupwhipped said:

A few of you have mentioned the brand you take. Can we get some more recommendations please? I'm most interested in "no fishy burps." A long time ago I believe I ordered Andrew Lessman's, and as I recall you had to take five or so pills a day. That was a bit much for me to swallow. HA!

Thank you for any advice on brands you like and why.

Krill all the way. It's made from Arctic plankton (little shrimp-like things) and it has NO fishy burps. I use MegaRed. Also, I fear about mercury in fish livers, so I stay away from fish oil as a result.

Frequent Contributor

I too had the fish burps from a no burp fish oil. I asked the guy at the health for store where I get it about trying a new Bnbrand . He said the brand is good, take the fish oil at night instead of the morning. No more burps. Shopping girl