Regular Contributor

I've smoked for 40 years. I now have a medical diagnosis where I must stop smoking. The patches gave me a problem, I'm afraid of the side effects of the medications, such as suicidal thoughts. I threw away all my cigarettes, stopped for one month using will power & now I'm back at it again. Help.

Respected Contributor

My mom just died from years of smoking, her lungs were terminal.

You just can't imagine what I witnessed these past 2 years, it was terrible. She couldn't get her breath, she struggled to eat, her body was leading to a slow death.

All the pictures, all the people telling you, all the stories you hear, nothing will help, only you and you alone can stop.

Hope you listen to that little voice in your head and heed the warnings...it's serious.

Super Contributor
It is not easy. I quit 25 years ago... Cold turkey. The only way you will quit for good is you have to want to do it for your health...no other reason. Are you ready to make that commitment? To value your health?
Respected Contributor
I used the nicotine gum and I used it for longer than recommended, but I figured as long as I wasn't smoking, it was good. I also made my switch during a week that I was on vacation. After I felt ready to get off the nicotine, I used a vacation week again and switched to regular gum. It only took a few days to over the nicotine cravings. Take as long as you need to ensure your success. You can do it.
Regular Contributor

Purrmom-I pray that you find the strength to quit, for yourself, your health and your family. I am 51 and I grew up and my mom smoked all the time-as far as I can remember. It upset me so much-her alarm would go off and her feet would hit the floor and she'd light one up and cough and hack. Her work was across the street so there'd she go smoking and walking to work, and back then she could smoke all day long in her office. She'd come home still smoking till she went to sleep. I just remember how she stank, everything stank, I'd go to school stinking and it was so unattractive. Me and my dad would beg her to stop....nothing doing. I was happy when I got married and moved out-and I did not allow smoking in my home or car at all-and she was not pleased. She ultimately had several health issues and wouldn't quit and ended up with lung cancer, had to have the left lower lobe of a lung removed, and yet she still to this day says it's not because she smoked. I have come to her house unannounced and actually caught her with a cigarette! So sad. When I see a nice looking girl or guy around and they have a cigarette-it just really makes them less attractive to me.

I pray that you do find the strength to quit/cut down and quit. I am resentful at my mother for putting us all through this and I also hate to think about how much $$ she and my dad would have if it all didn't go up in smoke. Good luck!

Super Contributor

I also don't like to hear, "you have to quit cold turkey." Advice like that kept me smoking for years because the thought of going cold turkey was too stressful.

For me, I looked at it as a drug addiction. I slowly weaned myself off of it. I used the patches. I cut them in half, then in quarters. I took my time, smoking two cigarettes a day for a few months, one in the morning one at night. Then one cigarette a day. Then the patches only.

I changed my routine. Instead of lighting up first thing when I got home from work, I would light a candle. Sit down and relax. That really helped. Find a substitute that is not food. Find new ways to relax.

I also changed my way of thinking. I would imagine myself smoking and feel nauseous. That still works for me, 15 years after I quit.

Think of it as your own private rehab. You might not feel great everyday, but the drug is leaving your system! You will be so proud of yourself when it's over! Keep a journal and mark off each day that you were successful. It may not happen overnight, but give it a month or so. Take it one day at a time just like an addict. One day you'll wake up and know you are DONE. And it is a great feeling. Good luck!

Respected Contributor

This thread is over three years old....granted, it might still help someone....

Frequent Contributor

purrmom, it's one of the hardest (and best) things you'll ever do. I too quit cold turkey. I however did it with a friend and the support we gave one another really helped. We walked, we changed our diets, we gave up coffee for green tea. We tried not to engage in the things that prompted lighting a cigarette - talking on the phone, having that morning coffee, driving. We both kept cigarettes in the freezer and when the urge was overwhelming we'd pull it out, walk around with it and put it back. There are some on-line support groups so that may help you too. And keep in mind, when an urge hits it only lasts about three minutes - you can work through it! And as an added benefit I taught myself to knit to keep my hands occupied! You can do it - you know you can! Best of luck and can't wait to hear back from you when you tell us you're a non-smoker!

Valued Contributor

Here is how I stopped smoking. I stopped buying cigarettes. If I didn't have them in the house I couldn't smoke. If you don't have cigarettes you won't smoke cigarettes. It is that simple.

Seriously, that is how I stopped smoking. It worked for me. I took an anti anxiety pill while I was quitting. I had smoked a cigarette when I got tense to relax so needed the small dose of anti anxiety pills to use instead. I also found out if I counted slowly from one to ten the desire for a smoke stopped. Just don't buy cigarettes. That is the secret.

Super Contributor

Everybody has to find what works for them. I smoked for twenty years and decided since I was getting older, it was past time to stop. I quit cold turkey! No programs, no patches, nothing. In July, I will celebrate five years of not smoking!