Trusted Contributor

I need to lose a significant amount of weight. I've been overweight most of my life and have managed to live a full life in spite of it, but now in my early 60's, the extra weight is beginning to seriously affect my health, mobility, and sense of well being. My cholesterol is high; my knees are about shot; I'm having trouble with stairs; I'm in pain after a shopping trip or running a few errands. This is going to get worse if I don't do something. I must find a way to lose 75 pounds or more. My past success with diets isn't encouraging. I absolutely hate counting W.W. points, fat grams, or weighing and measuring portions. It is all so tedious and restrictive, and I'm always frustrated and hungry!

I've looked at books on Atkins, SouthBeach, and Carb Addicts' Diets, and although each differs in some details, the basic idea seems to be to eat lots of protein and non-starchy vegetables, perhaps limited fruits, and cut waaaaay back on breads, sweets, potatoes, corn, rice, alcohol, and other high-carb foods. It doesn't seem necessary to limit the amount you eat very much -- these diets rely on changing what you eat, and shifting the diet to high protein, low carbs, and they seem to allow some fats that other diets don't. I think this might work for me if I follow the general principles. Low carb eating seems to work for many others without a lot of hunger and deprivation.

Does anyone out there have experience with low carb diets and significant weight loss? Has it worked for you? Any tips or cautions? If I do this, I want to get off to a good start and be able to stick with it. I need some help with this.

TIA.