TSV(R) Preview
19 Members and 9164 Guests Online

Health & Fitness

Low carb diet

Started 1319079794.29 in Health & Fitness | Last reply 1321798019.303 by UpTooEarly

I need to lose a significant amount of weight. I've been overweight most of my life and have managed to live a full life in spite of it, but now in my early 60's, the extra weight is beginning to seriously affect my health, mobility, and sense of well being. My cholesterol is high; my knees are about shot; I'm having trouble with stairs; I'm in pain after a shopping trip or running a few errands. This is going to get worse if I don't do something. I must find a way to lose 75 pounds or more. My past success with diets isn't encouraging. I absolutely hate counting W.W. points, fat grams, or weighing and measuring portions. It is all so tedious and restrictive, and I'm always frustrated and hungry!

I've looked at books on Atkins, SouthBeach, and Carb Addicts' Diets, and although each differs in some details, the basic idea seems to be to eat lots of protein and non-starchy vegetables, perhaps limited fruits, and cut waaaaay back on breads, sweets, potatoes, corn, rice, alcohol, and other high-carb foods. It doesn't seem necessary to limit the amount you eat very much -- these diets rely on changing what you eat, and shifting the diet to high protein, low carbs, and they seem to allow some fats that other diets don't. I think this might work for me if I follow the general principles. Low carb eating seems to work for many others without a lot of hunger and deprivation.

Does anyone out there have experience with low carb diets and significant weight loss? Has it worked for you? Any tips or cautions? If I do this, I want to get off to a good start and be able to stick with it. I need some help with this.

TIA.

Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 Next
oceantown1319080328.2938723 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I drastically cut back on sugar, and I watch carbs. I don't know if you would say I am low carb. My guidelines are 6 servings of carbs per day, and I try to choose good carbs. Lots of green veggies, if I have grains I try to choose whole grains. I think some days I have less than 6 servings, especially the days I have just 2 scrambled eggs for breakfast.

It sure does work. I have been eating like this for over 2 1/2 years! I lost 48 lbs, which is more than I expected to lose.

I try to follow the guidelines of The Belly Fat Cure, and the new book, The Belly Fat Cure Fast Track has good info too. Probably many people will go back and forth between the two plans, or take ideas from both. You can get a free menu if you go to jorgecruise.com.

Take care!

A Walker1319081427.681234 PostsRegistered 1/4/2011

GoodStuff - I have never been much overweight but do watch what I eat more regularly to stay at my weight; BUT, and this is a big but, my DH has always struggled with his weight. That being said, the one diet he IS able to stick with, is SouthBeach. The reason is simply we enjoy eating vegetables, salads, lean sources of protein, and low-fat cheese/dairy, along with grains. Would we love to eat sweets and sugar all the time??? Sure... especially if it involves Door County cherries! {#emotions_dlg.wub} BUT, again a big but, the rewards of feeling better will be what will keep you dieting! My brother-in-law insists on Atkins, but eating all that protein with no good carbs has always made us feel sluggish, just not good. So, if I had to make a suggestion for a diet using my husband's success as word, I would say SouthBeach for sure. Now for some tips I hope can help you out:

1 - The first week of the SB is the hardest because that is the time you will be eating the least amount of carbs to purge your body. During this week you can snack on various things listed, and please do so. Don't allow yourself to become hungry because you will want to eat your fingers!

2 - When you are able to, and I sincerely mean this from the bottom of my heart, do some form of exercise. Exercise is key to bringing up your endorphin levels and making you feel like you did something for you, for your success in dieting. It also makes you sleep better. But one word of caution: while you're dieting, don't over-exercise because it makes you ravenous! When I over-exercise, I could eat a cow! So, combine a bit of exercise into your diet plan, and do it on a consistent basis.

3 - I also feel this is important: don't look at this as a diet but instead look at it as new lifestyle choices, for you. YOU are the important person and you are doing this for you. No amount of great dessert will make you feel as good as you do when you see that number on the scale decreasing weekly.

4 - Check on these boards here and online for great recipes and tips. SOS, Belly-Busters, most of the low-carb diets work with the SB, as long as you make the proper modifications. I now find it extremely easy to substitute this or that to make it a good, low-carb meal. Do I miss the spaghetti and bread? You bet! But since my DH can't eat that stuff, I don't either. Learn to modify your favorite recipes!

5 - Don't beat yourself up if you're bad a day. I look at every day as a new opportunity to be good. This way, even if I make it through most of the day being careful, if I mess up at the end of the day (the worst time to mess up btw), at least I know I wasn't bad the entire day lol. Then get some sleep, get up, and start all over again. Don't wait for a specific day of the week to start again if you mess up. Begin the next morning.

6 - In the end, it will be worth it. Even though I've never really struggled with weight, I do know many, many people who have and know what you're going through. I just watch because I like to do good things for my body. THAT'S the feeling you're going for: KNOWING that you are doing good things for you!

7 - GOOD LUCK!

Rowana1319089992.51200 PostsRegistered 3/3/2008
Low carb is actually the best way of eating there is. Once you have been on it a while, you will feel so good you will never want to go back to eating bread, pasta, cereal or especially sugar!

haddon91319094935.656155 PostsRegistered 10/18/2005Bucks County, Pa

Good luck GoodStuff!

I'm also interested in hearing what others have to say. I think the hardest part for me is just beginning and sticking with it. I find that I'm hungry a lot too and sometimes my sweet cravings are unbearably intense!

Going into the holidays is not an easy time to begin but I really would like to be a little bit thinner by the time New Years comes around rather than a few pounds heavier. I think if I can do that I would feel so much better about myself emotionally starting off the new year on a positive note while getting through the long cold winter.

redchop1319104928.23266 PostsRegistered 1/23/2009

Hi Goodstuff,

I was on a low carb diet and lost 180 pounds. If you are truly on a low carb diet, you will not eat any fruit, pasta, bread or starchy veggies. I ate alot of Extra Lean Hamburger, Lean Steak, Chicken breast, Turkey. I ate alot of salads, with cucumber, tomatoes, mushrooms and very low carb dressing, I also ate green beans, brussel sprouts, pickles, and any green veggie. I only ate green bell peppers. I had no dairy whatsoever. Once in awhile when I would "cheat" I would eat a piece of cheese. I drank alot of water, 2 diet sodas a day, I don't drink coffee, but if you do, then you would have to have sweetner, not sugar. I felt BETTER on this diet than any other. It is hard at first, but after awhile, it gets easier, and you lose quickly and that will keep you motivated.

I lost that weight in just over a year. I think that if you can do this diet, it will help you lose weight. I had to stop due to illness. I hope that you are successful with any diet you choose. Like my Mamma always would say, ANY diet works IF you actually follow it. :) Good Luck.

chumlee_1319106627.0035381 PostsRegistered 10/3/2008

I went on the South Beach Diet about 5 years ago when my doc said I was pre-diabetic (family history) and he suggested the SB as a very healthy eating style. I lost weight, maybe 20# which was enough for me, but I also felt fabulous!

I don't miss miss bread, potatoes, cakes, cookies or anything - they just don't appeal to me. I exercise a minimum of 30 minutes a day and am never hungry. My treat is lowfat cheese and I always have cheese sticks with me. Once I fully understood the plan, eating out and grocery shopping became really easy. I eat lean hamburgers with no bun and eat a lot of salad.

When I go for my annual physical (the only time I see the doc) he always remarks that my numbers are perfect and just to keep doing whatever I'm doing! At 63 that is great news!

good luck - your good health is worth it!

chum

No outfit is complete without copious amounts of horse slobber on it.

OneHotNana1319109967.542084 PostsRegistered 2/9/2007Sweet Home Alabama

Good luck! I've lost 56 lbs since May 2! I feel so much healthier. My feet don't swell, my knees don't hurt, I no longer take BP medicine or meds for my acid reflux! I can shop anywhere now for my clothes. I just feel better overall!

I eat a low carb diet that I have found works for me. I eat meat and green and yellow veggies but avoid sugar, starches, bread, pasta, rice, corn. I eat meat, cheese, nuts, limited fruits, lots of green and yellow veggies. I also eat Activia light yogurt every morning. My "goodies" are occasional sugar free candy/mints. Sugar free pudding and jello. I am NEVER hungry! I eat a bread from Natures Own that is sugar free with high fiber and very low carbs. Not everyday but a couple times a week. I've also found low carb high fiber tortillas. I make all kinds of wraps, quesidillas, low carb desserts with these.

I was thinking that I needed to lose another 50 lbs but my doctor (my doctor!) said that I may lost another 30 but didn't need to lose more than that! Woo hoo! I've tweaked Atkins, Sugar Busters, Southbeach and eat what works for me. Again good luck and keep us posted!

winamac11319110339.49330970 PostsRegistered 12/29/2010Indiana

I eat very little bread, rarely potatoes (maybe a baked potato a year), very little pasta-once a year or so, mainly lean protein--egg whites, an occasional egg-lots of chicken breast, turkey breast, shrimp, tuna, salmon. I eat a lot of carbs when it comes to fruit and veggies--but it's the low-glycemic carbs--certain fruits like berries and cantaloupe and grapefruit and a lot of broccoli, asparagus, cauliflower, red, yellow peppers, mushrooms , tomatoes(higher in sugar, but I do eat a lot of tomatoes).

I eat sugar free, plain, nonfat greek yogurt. I don't eat corn, peas, pears, watermelon, bananas, lima beans.

I don't eat many grains.

Last edited on 10/20/2011

"Friends don't let friends...drink white zinfandel"

GoodStuff1319123696.51315158 PostsRegistered 11/11/2008

I so appreciate all the personal testimonies and helpful tips. It is heartening to hear so many success stories and so much encouragement!

I do exercise (water exercise and swimming) about three times a week and love doing it; I think I will look for ways to step up the exercise, although my bad knees limit what I can do out of the water.

One thing that I'm wondering about is that the Atkins plan seems to say you can eat all the butter, mayo, oil, and other fats you want (sounds good, but say what??!!), and allows almost no bread or carbs, while other diets don't seem to allow as much fat and do allow limited amounts of high-fiber, lower-carb breads, brown rice, etc. Some diets seem very strict about veggies like carrots that contain a little natural sweetness (carbs), while others seem more relaxed about this, as long as you leave off sweets and very high-carb foods like pasta, potatoes, white rice, corn, etc. I'm sort of thinking maybe I can get success by eliminating (or almost eliminating) the obviously high-carb foods and allowing maybe something like a couple of thin slices high-fiber, low carb "diet" bread one meal a day (to make a sandwich, perhaps) or a little brown rice, beans, etc. with dinner. That's kinda what the Carb Addicts' diet recommends -- low carb eating with a balanced amount of healthy carb about one meal a day. Am I on the right track here? I'm looking to pull together a common sense, general low-carb, high-protein plan without slavishly attending to all the picky minutiae of any one of these plans.

This morning for breakfast I had scrambled eggs with a bit of cheddar cooked in a non-stick pan with a little spritz of Pam, fresh sliced tomatoes, and coffee with a slosh of half and half and no sugar. No toast, grits, hashbrowns, or the other side dishes that take breakfast in a high carb direction. Lots of protein, a bit of fat..... It was good and satisfying.

Thanks again, ladies for all your help and uplift!

Subject1319124289.88711269 PostsRegistered 2/24/2007

I have been on a low carb/ glycemic diet for about 3 years. No sugar- or foods that turn to sugar. Only lean healthy proteins and vegetables. I feel great- weigh is perfect for my BMI and do not have to count calories. You have to be faithful and not put food first. Health first. ME first. Then it is easy. I never eat all the junk most people consider normal food. No chips- bread- rice- etc. I put myself first and not what other people think is normal to eat.

Last edited on 10/21/2011

oceantown1319128628.398723 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
On 10/20/2011 GoodStuff said:

.......... This morning for breakfast I had scrambled eggs with a bit of cheddar cooked in a non-stick pan with a little spritz of Pam, fresh sliced tomatoes, and coffee with a slosh of half and half and no sugar. No toast, grits, hashbrowns, or the other side dishes that take breakfast in a high carb direction. Lots of protein, a bit of fat..... It was good and satisfying.

Thanks again, ladies for all your help and uplift!

This would fit into The Belly Fat Cure and even The Belly Fat Cure Fast Track.

I have a couple of eggs most mornings for breakfast. I use a little olive oil instead of the Pam though.

Maybe you would like to see if your library has either of these two books. Or check out jorgecruise.com for a free menu. It is a 14 day meal plan. Click on the Like button, or if you are not on face book, click below the like button, on the words, "Click here if you are unable to use Facebook".

This eating plan is so easy. No counting calories. You will learn how to satisfy your sweet tooth in safe ways. I loved the freedom of no longer having food cravings or cravings for sweets.

Take care!

OneHotNana1319151279.5132084 PostsRegistered 2/9/2007Sweet Home Alabama

Goodstuff, I don't count anything anymore. But I do eat "real" food. Butter, cheese, olive oil, eggs and meat. These foods fill you up and keep you satisfied. That is why this diet works so well for me.

I could easily eat 1/2 dozen donuts but I don't think I could eat 6 eggs at one sitting. Those proteins and fats are so filling. When people ask me if they can have all the meats, cheeses eggs etc that they want I say, yes! (you just can't hold very much)

The upcoming holidays will be a challenge but I'm already making plans and testing out sugarfree goodies so I won't feel deprived.

You've gotten some great advice here and I'm sure you'll do well.

champagnep­oodle1319152253.725798 PostsRegistered 9/26/2011

If you want to lose alot of weight really fast, the best thing is Dr Atkins-No carb, lots of water.

A Walker1319155729.671234 PostsRegistered 1/4/2011

GoodStuff ~ I was reading over these responses and you've gotten some great tips. I thought of something else I think is very important and wanted to share... First of all, your nic GoodStuff lol, well, that's what you will be eating from now on... good stuff! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup} But really, what I was thinking was more in response to your post #9: yes, you are definitely on the right track! My husband's doctor once said, "If it tastes good, spit it out!" and we got a good laugh out of that for a few years... but now with all these wonderful foods you CAN eat on low-(bad) carb diets (whether it be Atkins, South Beach, SOS, Belly Fat, etc.) we have found instead of dwelling/focusing on foods you can't eat, relish the foods you CAN eat because, let's face it, you are dieting lol. Anyway, that thought came to mind and with all the positive gals on the board here, you will do absolutely great no matter which diet you follow! Or, you can do a combination of the diets, whatever makes you feel the best and is easiest for you to stick to, just as long as you ultimately watch your bad carbs!

sharibel1319163400.767372 PostsRegistered 7/24/2011
On 10/20/2011 GoodStuff said:

One thing that I'm wondering about is that the Atkins plan seems to say you can eat all the butter, mayo, oil, and other fats you want (sounds good, but say what??!!), and allows almost no bread or carbs, while other diets don't seem to allow as much fat and do allow limited amounts of high-fiber, lower-carb breads, brown rice, etc. Some diets seem very strict about veggies like carrots that contain a little natural sweetness (carbs), while others seem more relaxed about this, as long as you leave off sweets and very high-carb foods like pasta, potatoes, white rice, corn, etc. I'm sort of thinking maybe I can get success by eliminating (or almost eliminating) the obviously high-carb foods and allowing maybe something like a couple of thin slices high-fiber, low carb "diet" bread one meal a day (to make a sandwich, perhaps) or a little brown rice, beans, etc. with dinner. That's kinda what the Carb Addicts' diet recommends -- low carb eating with a balanced amount of healthy carb about one meal a day. Am I on the right track here? I'm looking to pull together a common sense, general low-carb, high-protein plan without slavishly attending to all the picky minutiae of any one of these plans.

This morning for breakfast I had scrambled eggs with a bit of cheddar cooked in a non-stick pan with a little spritz of Pam, fresh sliced tomatoes, and coffee with a slosh of half and half and no sugar. No toast, grits, hashbrowns, or the other side dishes that take breakfast in a high carb direction. Lots of protein, a bit of fat..... It was good and satisfying.

Hey, Goodstuff,

When I read your post (above), I knew ya must have missed my threads in August and September. I MUST re-post my experience because it sounds like it may be good for you! Here are the links to my two threads:

http://community.qvc.com/forums/Wellness+Health/topic/211316/lost-10-pounds-in-july.aspx

http://community.qvc.com/forums/Wellness+Health/topic/219256/lost-10-pounds-in-july-and-8-more-in-august.aspx

I lost 30 pounds on a diet based loosely on The Carb Addict’s Diet. This was my goal but I find that I’m continuing this plan because I enjoy it and if I’ve lost any more, hey, I’ll take it! I weigh myself at the end of this month. I wanted a plan that would be doable and realistic for ME. Sure Atkins is extremely effective, but it’s also extremely restrictive. So what happens when you lose a ton of weight on it, then go off it?? When you return to your normal eating patterns, even a small amount of carbs will undo the weight you lost. My plan is 3 days on my diet, then the 4th day is a “cheat day”. Breakfast on most days is a 2 egg/low-fat cheese omelet. I could add veggies, but I don’t. I’m good ‘til lunch. I drink a thermos of green tea during the morning. Lunch is usually canned salmon or tuna in water, rinsed, mixed with hard-boiled egg and 1 tbsp. 1000 Island dressing + water to make it creamy (I don’t like mayo, but you could certainly use it), sometimes chicken for lunch too. Dinner is the allowed carb meal, provided you eat all carbs within one hour (so that there’s only one insulin spike). I love bread so I have either a chicken, fish (usually tilapia), or Boca burger sandwich on a small piece of seeded Italian bread, sliced tomato, with low-sugar veggies (broccoli, cauliflower) or a dark green, leafy salad with drizzle of olive oil. I stay away from high sugar veggies such as corn or peas, but if that’s what you love, and will keep you satisfied, then by all means have it. If my sweet tooth is really aching, I'll have half an apple immediately at the end of the meal. I drink water throughout the day, also a cup of black coffee. Mid-afternoon I often have 7-10 dry roasted, unsalted almonds or cashews. On my cheat day, anything goes (without binging!) – this includes pizza or chocolate, etc. What I found is that as I got into this plan, not only did my stomach shrink, but I started to lose my sugar cravings, so that by the time I reached my cheat day, the sugary stuff made me kind of nauseous. Now, I can only eat one cookie (like “normal” people do, haha) instead of a whole box! The way I have set this up for myself, the cheat day serves another important purpose aside from giving you an opportunity to eat the foods you love. During the 3 days of my diet, my calories are pretty low, however, on the cheat day, my calories are obviously much higher. In this way, the body's metabolism is being "fooled" so it will not think it's in "starvation mode", which would cause the body to store fat.

This has been more successful for me then I could have imagined with very little effort. For the most part, I have not been hungry. Moving forward, my plan is to moderate my carbs to include more veggies and fruit for 6 days straight, with the 7th day my cheat day. I will still always eat higher protein than carbs because this works for my metabolism and makes me feel good. As I said to oceantown (in another thread), who I admire tremendously for achieving a no/low sugar way of life, I hope to get there someday too but, for now, this is working very well for me. That is truly the healthiest way to live and we should all cherish our bodies and be as good to them as we possibly can!

GoodStuff, I’m VERY EXCITED FOR YOU! Set a start date, commit to it, and just take one day at a time without even thinking about it. Before you know it, one month will have passed, 2 months, 6 months, and you will have achieved what you never thought you could. The most important thing to remember is to be kind to yourself during this process. If you fall off, it is not an all or nothing thing where you feel you have scr*wed up so you binge. No. You get right back on and continue. The rewards are tremendous. I know you can do this! Kiss

The Bird1319182626.1171811 PostsRegistered 3/17/2007

It's all been said, but I'd like to offer a couple of tips:

An egg or two in the morning can help prevent cravings. Don't put off protein in the morning. Early is better.

Keep a bag of frozen berries in the fridge. A bowl of frozen berries with a little cream poured on top (mix in a tad of sweetener if you need it) is like an ice cream treat. I like blueberries, or the Costco frozen berry mix. Yes you can add a tad of agave, but IMO it's better to recalibrate those taste buds to appreciate less sweet.

Leafy greens can make a refreshing drink to accompany meals. They don't have to be thick smoothies. Over ice cubes, a tad of lemon, and you get a nourishing salad in a glass. I consume more veggies doing lo carb than I ever did before. Vitamix!

Now, to add a wrench to the works: A doctor recently suggested I might be gluten sensitive, because I told her how my blood pressure spikes when I eat carbs. She suggested I try gluten free and see what happens. So for now I am enjoying rice again. Although I believe lo carb is the way to go, consider making wheat and other gluten grains totally out of the picture for a while. If you have to binge on carbs, try a bowl of rice or gluten free cereal (yay, Honey Chex!) for a treat. Just a suggestion.

Recommend: Why We Get Fat by Gary Taubes, for inspirational reading

Rowana1319183569.357200 PostsRegistered 3/3/2008
Yes, Gary Taub's book is a must! Also read his first book, "Good Calories, Bad Calories," for a fascinating, longer (more scientific) version of why most of us should always eat low-carb. i can also highly recommend "Protein Power" by the husband-wife Drs. Eade." Really interesting and inspirational!

hungarian41319196728.0871423 PostsRegistered 8/28/2010

thank you !!

UpTooEarly1319197099.36853 PostsRegistered 1/18/2011

I don't really believe in extremely low carb diets. LImiting processed carbs, though, is another story. Bread, pasta, and most cereals are processed carbs. Not eliminate, but limit. Weigh and measure and eat one serving only. Fill the rest of your meal with one serving of protein and as many veggies as you want. Fruit is also a good carb. Especially when you are beginning to lose weight, you can eat as much fruit as you want. It's better than processed carbs.

Look at the new government food plate. It's a good guide. The plate is 1/4 protein (lean), 1/4 starch (potatoes, whole grains), and 1/2 produce. If you can remember to eat half produce everytime you eat anything, that will help a lot.

I think that people have to really be ready to do what it takes to lose weight. (and it sounds like you are.) there are no short cuts. It takes time in the beginning to start weighing and measuring food (don't bother to weigh and measure produce, just carbs and proteins), but it becomes second nature and it's worth it. Your plan, in post #9, sounds very reasonable to me. I almost always have a light bread or wrap for lunch, and whole grain hot cereal in the a.m. and usually a veggie starch for dinner (brown rice, beans, quinoa, etc....) and popcorn (also a veggie starch) for snack almost every night. So it's not low carb, just low processed carbs.

You can do this. It's hard, but I bet you've done lots of hard things in your life before.

In the words of Michael Pollan:

"Eat food, not too much, mostly plants."

winamac11319197349.64730970 PostsRegistered 12/29/2010Indiana

I agree w/ UpTooEarly. I eat a ton of low glycemic fruits and veggies--limit the processed foods. I don't eat all that butter/oil/etc. I prefer balsamic vinegar on salads with just a tsp. of olive oil. I don't believe in all that fat on the Atkins. It's not good for your heart.

"Friends don't let friends...drink white zinfandel"

The Bird1319198798.851811 PostsRegistered 3/17/2007
On 10/21/2011 winamac1 said:

I agree w/ UpTooEarly. I eat a ton of low glycemic fruits and veggies--limit the processed foods. I don't eat all that butter/oil/etc. I prefer balsamic vinegar on salads with just a tsp. of olive oil. I don't believe in all that fat on the Atkins. It's not good for your heart.

That's pretty much the way I go, too, but sometimes I just want to jump up and defend the dear Dr. Atkins. I know you're not specifically attacking him, winamac1, but I just want to say my peace. He was the IMO very brave guy that kept bringing lowcarb to the forefront, despite the media's constant attacks. I remember, every appearance I saw him on TV, the interviewer tried their darndest to make him look bad. I believe he would have gone lower fat/healthier fat eventually with his studies and writings, but unfortunately was cut down in the middle of it all. For those who don't remember, he slipped and fell on the ice, injured his head and never recovered. But to persevere with his low carb approach in the midst of the non-fat popularity of the time was pretty brave. I whisper a thanks to him now and then when I get back on track with my dietary habits. - Bird

GoodStuff1319207680.70315158 PostsRegistered 11/11/2008

Again, I very much appreciate all the tips and testimonials. I started eating low carb yesterday, and so far it seems pretty easy. I feel satisfied, enjoyed what I ate, and feel positive about seeing where this goes.

I feel good about starting out for the first week or two with a very low carb plan, pretty much totally excluding breads, potatoes, and other high carb foods, just to get carbs out of my system and get things off to a fast start. Later I will probably factor in a modest helping of healthy, whole grain carbs one meal a day, per the Carb Addicts' diet. I don't plan to slather things with fats as the Atkins plan allows, but I probably will eat real dressings on my salads, as I much prefer them to diet dressings and they are "low carb". Excellent. I'm intrigued by Sharibel's "free eating day" every fourth day, and may consider that possibility when I'm further along and have made some progress. I'm sure I'll be re-assessing and tweaking as things move along.

Here's to my health. Thanks again for sharing the wisdom and support, kind ladies! {#emotions_dlg.wub}

Giordan1319211714.061927 PostsRegistered 8/5/2011
On 10/19/2011 Rowana said: Low carb is actually the best way of eating there is. Once you have been on it a while, you will feel so good you will never want to go back to eating bread, pasta, cereal or especially sugar!

ITA.

oceantown1319216818.8938723 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
On 10/20/2011 sharibel said:

<em>..........GoodStuff, I’m VERY EXCITED FOR YOU! Set a start date, commit to it, and just take one day at a time without even thinking about it. Before you know it, one month will have passed, 2 months, 6 months, and you will have achieved what you never thought you could. The most important thing to remember is to be kind to yourself during this process. If you fall off, it is not an all or nothing thing where you feel you have scr*wed up so you binge. No. You get right back on and continue. The rewards are tremendous. I know you can do this! Kiss</em>

<em>Last edited on 10/20/2011</em>

This is sooooo important, and such great advice that I just had to repeat it!

At the beginning of my journey I kept the long range goal in mind. I kept thinking to myself... where do I want to be 1 year from right now? So, one step at a time will get there. It is not a quick journey.

I think there are so many people out there that want to lose weight and get healthy, but they are searching and searching and searching... and so many keep putting off doing something. They are always searching. (I do not mean you, I am talking about people I know, and even some of the posts I have read over the years here on Q).

Some people want to always start 'next week'. No better day than today!

I too, know you can do it!

poppinfresh1319220666.003672 PostsRegistered 7/16/2007

Goodstuff,

Oh my...I typed out a huge reply for you and I don't know what I did, but it is gone now{#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}.

Here is a web site you should take a look at. It is called lowcarbfriends dot com. It is such a supportive and helpful site with many handy hints, success stories, great recipes and so much more. Grab a cup of coffee and check it out. I went on Adkins quite a few years back on the advice of my doctor. I was just feeling way too sluggish and tired all of the time. When I read you could eat all the butter, grease, mayo, bacon, cheese, heavy cream etc I thought I had died and went to heaven. And trust me, I ate them..alot of them, and I still lost weight. After about 30 days of eating all of those things in excess, I found I didn't crave them so much any more. But the most important thing is, I felt sooooooooo much better eating this way, and my check ups were great. Sad to say, after I got married again, I sort of fell off the wagon, so to speak, but got back on just last week. I am 62 years old, but this first week, I have already lost 5 pounds. Best of luck to you!!

Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 Next