Respected Contributor

Akkkkk.....I've got shingles!

I thought I was too young for shingles. I'm 55. I went to the Drs. yesterday. He put me on meds. He said they really needed to be started within 48 hours of my first breakout and I wasn't sure when that was, but I think it was Sat. morning which is borderline of the 48 hour time frame.

They are in my hairline at the back of my neck and down the right side of my back. I only have a few right now, probably about 10 red spot. Some are really inflamed.

I just ordered some shingle cream from Amazon. I'm hoping that will help.

Any other tips to get rid of this stuff fast?

I eat a very healthy diet and don't have any other medical problems, so I don't know what happened!

Well, I did read peanuts or peanutbutter can cause flareups. I've been eating peanutbutter powder every day. Oh, of course I ate some this morning before reading that it causes flare ups. I'm just glad I saw it today. I will never eat it again.

Oh, I also read that apple cidar vinegar is good on the sores/blisters. I'm going to Walmart at lunch time to buy some of that.

Anyone feel sorry for me? LOL

Not applicable

Re: Akkkkk.....I've got shingles!

I am 40 and get shingles at least 20X a year for the last 21 years. Too young per ALL the Dr. I have seen all these years.It stinks and hurts like terrible. I totally understand your frustration. I am always hoping it will go away and through the last 21 years it mostly only gets on my face. Pretty huh!! Smiley Wink I am always taking the mess and using Bactroban cream. It's hard to find makeup, sunscreens, and beauty stuff for my face that doesn't make it worse. Anyone else had the same please get in touch with me!! Shingles are terrible and it seems over the years I have found that people respond different to all kind of cures and routines. Good luck with a rapid recovery and hope it's a one timmer for everyone if you do get it. Smiley Wink
Regular Contributor

Got them at 29 from extreme stress. Drs were surprised and actually diagnosed me with a 2nd time having chickenpox. Nope, it was shingles. Working as a university prof, since then I've seen many students in their early 20s with shingles.
Respected Contributor

Why would you think you are too young for Shingles? In fact, the people I know who had it, were all under 60. That's why I had my Shingles vaccine the year I turned 50. My insurer paid for it, even though the benefits booklet said they would only cover it at 60 and older. Now, it's available at all the pharmacies and I always encourage friends and family to get it sooner rather than later.

Frequent Contributor

sO SORRY!!!!!!!!!!!! BE SURE TO GO TO DOCTOR TO GET MEDICINE. BUY SOME CALAMINE LOTION AT THE DRUG STORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! iT REALLY HELPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WENT THROUGH 3 BIG BOTTLES IN A WEEK, IT REALLY SOOTHS EVERYTHING.

Honored Contributor

Shingles surface in many forms, some visible, some just very painful but cannot be seen. Had my bout with this, which has lasted most of 2014, but very little "on the skin". Mine are more isolated to muscle and joint pain, sometimes much worse than others. For some the Shingles visit is short and more annoying than painful. For others a long and painful ordeal. YEP! I feel for you!
hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

MIMA......glad you got in and got medication ...that's key. I did the same , and it knocked it out within a week. I have had many reoccurring bouts, but each time just a couple blisters. The sun and stress definitely trigger it for me, and I eat peanut butter for breakfast so that may trigger it also. Otherwise I am a very healthy person, so the old theory of only people with compromised immune systems getting it, is bunk. Hope you are well soon.
Super Contributor

There's tons of info on these forums alone regarding shingles. There's some very positive and helpful information. A lot of us have had shingles.

Occasional Contributor

So sorry to hear you've gotten shingles. An older gentleman I know who suffered more than once from shingles told me that taking a tablespoon or two of vinegar a day helped immensely. Make sure it is the organic unfiltered kind with the ""mother"". Bragg is a good brand.
Esteemed Contributor

I'm so sorry! I hope it resolves soon!