Contributor

Keeping white handbag clean?

I went ahead an ordered the GILI TSV in ivory and I'm not sure if I should cancel or not. I've wanted a white/ivory bag forever, but I'm concerned that it will become gross and dirty looking quickly. I prefer more of a satchel style with feet, but the backpack may be useful especially this summer when I'm out with my kids. The GILI bag doesn't have feet so I'm worried, plus it's white. What do you think?

Honored Contributor

Re: Keeping white handbag clean?

You may be able to find a leather cleaner at a shoe store.

Maybe you should use this handbag for yourself and carry the kid's things in a cloth bag that you can wash.

Respected Contributor

White handbags get dirty. Feet or no feet, white handbags pick up soil from handling and color from clothings. For white, I prefer a pebbled leather that can be cleaned with soap and water. It's not a perfect solution, but it helps keep the handbag looking fresh if you clean it every time you use it, so that the dirt doesn't build up.

Trusted Contributor

I wonder if a Mr. Clean eraser would work. I've used it successfully on white leather walking shoes.

Frequent Contributor

You chose a beautiful bag! I use gentle baby wipes on my solid white leather Coach bag. It works very well. Btw, my bag has a removable strap so I can wear it cross-body at times, too. Thus I handle it, and set it down, less often. I bet you'll truly enjoy your bag! Wink

Valued Contributor

I just got a white saffiano in the hope that the coating on the leather will keep it clean.
Respected Contributor

Saffiano might be a great idea for a white handbag.

I don't think Mr. Clean magic eraser is a good idea... it might take the color off.

Honored Contributor

I don't do stark white, but don't find my off-white bags getting too noticeably soiled... When they do, I start with just warm water and a wash cloth and that usually does as much as I need it to do... Heavy dirt, then I'll add a little cleaner to the cloth (not the bag) and then wipe with a clean damp cloth to remove any remaining cleanser.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

On 3/27/2015 athenian said: I just got a white saffiano in the hope that the coating on the leather will keep it clean.
Bingo! I did the same thing toward the end of last summer. So far, the white saffiano hasn't picked up the color transfer from dark denim pants or capris l often wear. We'll see what happens this summer. Other textures of white leather are almost impossible for me in this regard, especially pebble leather. White patent leather might be another good option, if that's your taste.
~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Super Contributor

" out with the kids" in summer calls for a different bag in my mind. I love slinging cloth bags or canvas bags. When I go places with my DGC, I never carry leather. I carry something I can toss around. As far as the ivory bag, keep it. It is beautiful and versatile. Many days you can use it when shopping or going to dinner. You also use it in winter. I love a white bag in the winter against a dark coat or clothing. I have many ivory bags. They are my favorites. As for feet, I hang my bags over a chair or on a hook, never put them on the ground.