Contributor

Handbag Strap Problems and What are YOUR Fixes?

I recently bought and returned an Oryany bag that had a strap that was way too long, despite my being 5'9". The strap excess covered the beautiful hardware, so I returned it! The other problem with it and many other handbag companies is that the excess strap length flaps around and looks unsightly, unfinished, and detracts from the beauty of the bag.

Then there's my pet peeve with Dooney who has unfinished undersides of straps that looks cheap, and like the company ran out of enough leather to properly finish the strap! Dooney NEVER provides us with moveable matching loops to secure excess strap lengths. Another problem I have with Dooney straps are their crossbody bags that have the double buckle to make it a too-short shoulder bag and an adjustable crossbody strap with the excess leather facing upward which is downright ridiculous looking! I have two of those but NO more!

Of the handbags I purchase, the only ones that have moveable loops in the matching strap leather to secure excess strap length are Brighton and Coach. As a result, I will NOT purchase any bag any longer that has such unfinished and unsightly characteristics as flapping straps or unfinished undersides of the strap. When I pay hundreds of dollars for a handbag - I expect every feature of the handbag to look finished, and that is NOT too much to ask of the handbag designers and manufacturers!

So what kind of tips or tricks do YOU have to secure flapping, excess leather straps, as I have two handbags that I purchased in the past and need to secure the excess leather straps with something or other. Your ideas are very much appreciated!

Lovin2Learn

Respected Contributor

Re: Handbag Strap Problems and What are YOUR Fixes?

I am 5'2 and always fussing with the straps but I don't know that their is a great solution because of all the height differences in people and crossbody vs shoulder. Maybe separate shorter or longer straps could be offered for purchase.

Deb

Honored Contributor

I actually like the look of the "hanging strap", but I shorten it so it doesn't have a long drape. Or with a satchel silouette, I will sometimes remove the strap for a cleaner look.

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Esteemed Contributor

I prefer to look for handbags with removable crossbody straps as I will use a crossbody strap from one bag on another bag.
Honored Contributor

I don't have problems with the straps, other than my hair sometimes getting caught, but that's not Dooney's fault. I really like the straps with removable middle pieces so it can be used as a shoulder bag or crossbody. I find that really useful. I agree with you regarding the unfinished undersides of the straps, I don't like it. So far it hasn't been a problem for me on the bags I've bought.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Contributor

I am 4'11 so I know what you mean about long straps. Usually, if I cannot adjust it enough, I don't buy the handbag. The exception are handbags I buy at the downtown Minneapolis Macy's. There is a shoe repair on the bottom floor and many years ago, I found a Perlina bag but there was no way the strap could be adjusted enough. The shoe repair man fixed it by cutting off part and doing whatever he does. It turned out perfect. I think I may have bought another handbag there and had the strap altered again.

Honored Contributor

I don't like crossbody's I don't like hanging crossbody straps on shoulder bags. So I don't buy that style. But if I absolutely fell in love with one, I would cut off the crossbody strap, very carefully so it didn't show.

Contributor

Thanks for your comments, but I'm not talking about hanging crossbody or shoulder straps if you choose to use a shorter attached handle. What I'm talking about is the excess strap length that dangles or worse yet curls, that greatly detracts from the overall look of the handbag. I too have shorter handles that I use on crossbody bags, while having the crossbody strap there for use as well, but it's the excess length of the strap due to the need to use the adjustment to make it the strap shorter, which leaves so much unused strap that looks unsightly and bothers me to no end!

Wouldn't this be great if all of our problems were this minor! Thanks again, all and enjoy your weekend!

Lovin2Learn

Occasional Contributor

I know what you mean, it cheapens the appearance of the bag and is usually the first thing to wear. As another poster suggested, a shoe repair may have a solution. Otherwise a small piece of self-adhesive velcro? or a small clear pony tail holder?