Esteemed Contributor

If you Owned Vera Bradley...

How would you improve your company?

I'd add more quilted pockets and more zipper compartments.

I'd quilt the straps to make them sturdier.

I'd bring back the Villager since so many people seem to love it.

I'd stop retiring patterns so quickly, and stop bringing on new patterns so quickly.

I'd immediately stop making the new bags with a solid color interior. So boring!

More coupons.

It just seems that they're "cheapening" their brand and it shows. They'd better watch what they're doing because people are going to revolt and stop buying as much.

What do you all think?

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Honored Contributor

Re: If you Owned Vera Bradley...

I would also roll the handle part of the different travel bags. It's easier to hold them. I would also replace the cardboard piece they put in the bottom of some of them with a heavy duty piece of plastic that can be removed & cleaned. I use one of the travel totes when we travel to put a change of clothes in & pjs etc in those smaller vacuum seal bags so we don't have to take all our luggage into the hotel when we stop. I agree about not retiring patterns. Makes it hard to buy more matching pieces.

Esteemed Contributor

I would do more of the straps like the small trimmed Vera. Sturdy and secure. I would do either zipper tops or turnlock closures.

Small Trimmed Vera in Rio Rosie with Navy Trim

I would do more options in the solid microfiber in colors that would coordinate with the current prints available. I would occasionally bring back a beloved print or shape at a certain time of year so you could add to your collection and anticipate the event. Retro Days.

Since they send out a ton of e-mails, I would send out a quick online survey to see what the customer actually wants, not what marketing thinks they want.

I would create a "club" the way Chicos does and send you notice of special events and give you a loyalty discount.

Regular Contributor

It is my understanding that VB bags are no longer made in USA. I would return production to the USA.

Fewer release of new patterns - they come out so quickly. Give us time to use the current patterns/

Regular Contributor

I would bring back the Cargo Sling and offer it in the solid microfiber colors. This would be the perfect bag for me.
Super Contributor

I agree with what you ladies have posted. I'm fairly new to the VB line....about 6 years ago. Anyhow, I think they bring out too many new patterns a year and retire way too fast. I would hope that the company would put out surveys to those who purchase their products for their opinions.

I would love to see more coupons and deals.

I also love their solid microfiber line.

Contributor

I agree with you guys on all of this. It is way too fast so I stopped buying. I fell in love with a lilac pattern and just started collecting and it was out the door. I would rather have everything available in fewer colors than more colors with limited styles. I really like their home stuff, but they don't make all the patterns in placemats, etc. I have office supplies too which I love but I didn't get it all in the matching color because it was gone. Frustrating. I used to live by one of their stores in Honolulu and same thing, their patterns changed fast.
Super Contributor

I would make their sales reps be more polite to the people who work in the department stores where they sell their merchandise. I used to work for Dillard's in the handbag dept. and the VB rep was a foul person. Because she was so awful, their brand was the last on our list to point out to customers.

Honored Contributor

VB is in the midst of a major reinvention; there was a 2 page story in our paper last year about it; they were not in good shape and hired new people at the top. They did a lot of customer surveys, etc. There strategy is to offer leather, more solids, fewer patterns but more frequent turnover (as we now see), drop the baby line, and increase clothing (eventually). I agree with other posters....am not a fan of the microfiber or solids.....it is the vibrant patterns that made VB popular in the first place and it seems like they are moving away from that. Let's hope they continue to get feedback from customers and take it to heart. I think just lowering their shipping alone would help a lot.
Esteemed Contributor

sunala,

I feel they have cheapened their brand over the short few years I have purchased from them. Also they so many of them come with "issues". When you charge as much for the fabric bags and you can get a Dooney or Coach leather bag on clearance for about the same price your product needs to be flawless.