Frequent Contributor

I received the new G.I.L.I. Hobo in Warm Gray yesterday and I thought I would write a reviews for anyone curious. I bought this primarily because I missed out on the Vintage Leather Hobo, I don't really like snake skins or the shiny exotics. This one in pebble leather, looked like it would be similar to the Vintage. I am carrying if for the first time today so I thought I would give some initial thoughts.

1. Yep... it's huge....massive.... big big big.... if you don't like big bags, don't buy it.... don't even consider it. Easily the biggest bag I have. It will make a great weekender or overnight bag and if you carry a lot, a work bag... I do carry a lot so it could work well for me.

2. The leather is wonderful .... very soft and puddles..... the bag has no structure at all... and typically I like bags with a little more structure... but I do use a purse organizer and that helps.

3. I think you could carry the kitchen sink in this.... I stuffed the bag with lots of things I needed to carry into work today and it held it all... everyday stuff... some snacks.... a couple of plaques I picked up for a work function, etc. Held it all no problem and still looked like a million bucks at the same time.

4. The color.... Warm Gray.... I have the Gray Ostrich in the Milano Hobo and I know many were upset that the Milano was not really gray and were curious if this bag would be gray. Well, it is more gray than the gray ostrich... but it is not a storm cloud, true gray. It's a gray beige. but does look more gray than the gray ostrich... In fact, I took the tassle off of the gray ostrich and put it on the new hobo just to see how it would match... and it does not. The gray ostrich tassle looks brown on this new hobo... so hopefully that will help some deciding a color.

5. I was concerned about the straps not being long enough to go over the shoulder easy... I have larger arms and I have no problem getting this to go on the shoulder. I was thrilled with that.. now it does depend on how much you put in it as to how much it drapes into the hobo shape. When I had it stuffed to the max, it would not go on the shoulder, but when I took some things out, it did easily.

So, that is my initial thoughts. I am going to carry it a week and see what I think... it really may end up being to big for me and I like big bags. It is not a bag I would carry out to lunch or something on weekends... it's too big for that. If I do keep it, it will be a work bag and a overnight bag for me.

Valued Contributor

Re: New G.I.L.I. Bag - Review

Thanks for the review. I do love the dusty rose.....and I did get the Vintage Leather Hobo in brandy and I'm loving the smell of the leather.....
Frequent Contributor

Yes! Kitty.... the leather does smell great! I considered the Dusty Rose... but I like darker bags typically... I considered black in this but I already have a black Roma 2 and the Milano in black as well... so I don't need another black bag. I thought the gray would be good for spring and summer, although I am carrying it now to see if I love a week or so from now as much as I do now.

Super Contributor

Thanks so much for your review. I was on the fence about purchasing the grey but was worried it may be too big of a bag for me. I have the Roma 2 and like that size. Your emphasis of how big this bag actually is makes me think I will pass. If you decide to keep yours, I hope you enjoy it!

Respected Contributor

I saw Amy present it on her program last night. Gorgeous bag but since I own three Roma 2's (blush, black, dark brown), I'm going to step away from GILI for my spring/summer bag. However, that bag looked amazing and the gray made my heart beat faster. I do soooo want a gray handbag. But, it's too big for me and I am a BIG BAG girl. For me, it would only work as an overnight bag.

Super Contributor

One of the hosts had posted pictures of herself carrying this bag throughout the day. It was HUGE and quite frankly she looked ridiculous. It just swallowed her up it was so large. And I like big bags, lol.

Honored Contributor

I saw Amy last night too and thought it looked huge. Liked the look of the pebbles leather though.
Honored Contributor

Thx for the review. Love the hardware & the terracotta tone, but the size is too big for my daily use.

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Valued Contributor

So, I saw this bag presented by Amy, Shawn, and Jayne and Pat. I have to say, Jayne does the most horrible job with colors - for GILI, as well as for Dooney. I think Shawn did the best job presenting this bag, especially considering she is not even a bag person! And now I do love the grey color as well!!! Smiley Happy I know it's a big bag, but I did use it as they said - for office, carrying my water, lunch bag, and other stuff, inside the bag!
Regular Contributor

On 1/30/2015 tough_kitty said: So, I saw this bag presented by Amy, Shawn, and Jayne and Pat. I have to say, Jayne does the most horrible job with colors - for GILI, as well as for Dooney. I think Shawn did the best job presenting this bag, especially considering she is not even a bag person! And now I do love the grey color as well!!! Smiley Happy I know it's a big bag, but I did use it as they said - for office, carrying my water, lunch bag, and other stuff, inside the bag!

I agree...Shawn did the best job on this Gili bag.