Respected Contributor

D & B Caller Last Night Said

She is a collector of D & B bags and was purchasing again. Laura Bennett asked her why she keeps coming back for more. She gave her reasons and said that even though they are made "elsewhere" the quality is good.

I took a peek at a few and origin shows "Imported". Does this mean China?

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Super Contributor

Re: D & B Caller Last Night Said

Yes. Made in China. They used to be US Made.

Valued Contributor

All DB bags are made in China except for some of their more expensive collections which are made in Italy. But as far as "imported", when it applies to jewelry on QVC, sometimes it turns out to be made in Turkey or Peru, or Israel.
Esteemed Contributor

The Q doesn't list the actual source anymore, they just say IMPORTED.

I ordered an HP laptop, changed my mind within 15 minutes (no kidding) and they could not stop it because it was coming from China and the order was in.

It came in the mail. I returned it... Hopefully QVC and China will give me my money back.{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Trusted Contributor

I noticed when jewelry is made in Italy, Q tells us this!

Do the math.
Valued Contributor

On 1/25/2015 MarieIG said:

I noticed when jewelry is made in Italy, Q tells us this!

Yes, but when I bought a "made in Italy" bracelet, turned out it had a CHINA engraved on it!!! So...make sure you check the origin once you get the item if it's important to you. I kept the bracelet because it's beautiful (gold and turquoise) but I was slightly disappointed. I called CS but they weren't able to do anything about it.... technically it's false advertising.
Honored Contributor

Some Dooney bags ARE made in the U.S.A., in Connecticut. I bought the Cabriolet Go To Web Tote, which comes with a wristlet, during the recent 12 Days of Dooney from the Dooney website. Inside the bag was a note about it being proudly made in Connecticut and even had an "inspected by" enclosure. I got it in Navy/Pink and I see that all colors are now on clearance. If you need a huge beach/vacation tote, it's great!

http://www.dooney.com/cabriolet-go-to-web-tote/C660W.html?dwvar_C660W_color=CBPKWBYL#q=go+to+web+to...

Trusted Contributor

Just because something says Made in USA that does not mean that all parts were actually made in the US. From the FTC:

For a product to be called Made in USA, or claimed to be of domestic origin without qualifications or limits on the claim, the product must be "all or virtually all" made in the U.S. The term "United States," as referred to in the Enforcement Policy Statement, includes the 50 states, the District of Columbia, and the U.S. territories and possessions. What does "all or virtually all" mean?

"All or virtually all" means that all significant parts and processing that go into the product must be of U.S. origin. That is, the product should contain no — or negligible — foreign content.

What factors does the Commission consider to determine whether a product is "all or virtually all" made in the U.S.?

The product’s final assembly or processing must take place in the U.S. The Commission then considers other factors, including how much of the product’s total manufacturing costs can be assigned to U.S. parts and processing, and how far removed any foreign content is from the finished product. In some instances, only a small portion of the total manufacturing costs are attributable to foreign processing, but that processing represents a significant amount of the product’s overall processing. The same could be true for some foreign parts. In these cases, the foreign content (processing or parts) is more than negligible, and, as a result, unqualified claims are inappropriate.

Example: A company produces propane barbecue grills at a plant in Nevada. The product’s major components include the gas valve, burner and aluminum housing, each of which is made in the U.S. The grill’s knobs and tubing are imported from Mexico. An unqualified Made in USA claim is not likely to be deceptive because the knobs and tubing make up a negligible portion of the product’s total manufacturing costs and are insignificant parts of the final product.

Example: A table lamp is assembled in the U.S. from American-made brass, an American-made Tiffany-style lampshade, and an imported base. The base accounts for a small percent of the total cost of making the lamp. An unqualified Made in USA claim is deceptive for two reasons: The base is not far enough removed in the manufacturing process from the finished product to be of little consequence and it is a significant part of the final product.

Honored Contributor

On 1/25/2015 tough_kitty said: All DB bags are made in China except for some of their more expensive collections which are made in Italy. But as far as "imported", when it applies to jewelry on QVC, sometimes it turns out to be made in Turkey or Peru, or Israel.

Sometimes Thailand or Mexico too...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

I heard that caller too and thought it was sort of interesting... A lot of retailers are now saying 'imported'. It's not just the Q... What it tells you is they know the huge percentage of made in China merchandise rankles some.

Not to the subject of this thread but just a small point of information. Ms. Bennett's name is Sandra, not Laura...

Smile

In my pantry with my cupcakes...