Respected Contributor

I bought a beautiful burgundy woven leather handbag at an estate sale in mint condition.

When I got home and opened it, it had that yucky musty smell. I placed it in the sun for a day and then I took a small container of freshly ground coffee and placed it inside the handbag, zipped it shut and let it sit for 3 days.

VOILA!!! Odor completely gone. Now my purse smells soooooo good! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Honored Contributor

They could not pay me enough to carry a used purse. All I would think about was the dirty hands and hankies or kleenex that have been in that bag. Gross.

Esteemed Contributor
On 11/25/2014 happy housewife said:

They could not pay me enough to carry a used purse. All I would think about was the dirty hands and hankies or kleenex that have been in that bag. Gross.

me too....we never know what people put in their purses...yuck.....

Valued Contributor
Good job with the coffee! Enjoy your bag! Smiley Happy and thanks for sharing the tip.
Trusted Contributor

I open this thread to find out what has been posted about "coffee", and what I find are two responses that, to me, are totally unkind and totally unnecessary.

Can't people keep their almost nasty critiques to themselves, EVER?

You can have your opinions, but if you don't have anything positive to say, why not just keep it to yourself?

A poster is happy with a purchase, and she's told what she has done is "gross", a word I just could never stand, it always rings juvenile to me.

As far as the purchase of the bag goes, I think it's really a judgment call. If a bag is in mint condition, a buyer can usually tell. But that wasn't the OP's intent, she just wanted to share a tip for getting rid of odors, something that is tossed around frequently on these boards.

I just never can understand why telling one's opinion trumps kindness and consideration.

Trusted Contributor
On 11/25/2014 blueroses47 said:

I open this thread to find out what has been posted about "coffee", and what I find are two responses that, to me, are totally unkind and totally unnecessary.

You can have your opinions, but if you don't have anything positive to say, why not just keep it to yourself?

A poster is happy with a purchase, and she's told what she has done is "gross", a word I just could never stand, it always rings juvenile to me.

As far as the purchase of the bag goes, I think it's really a judgment call. If a bag is in mint condition, a buyer can usually tell. But that wasn't the OP's intent, she just wanted to share a tip for getting rid of odors, something that is tossed around frequently on these boards.

I just never can understand why telling one's opinion trumps kindness and consideration.

Thank you.

Esteemed Contributor
On 11/25/2014 blueroses47 said:

I totally agree with blueroses. Those comments were so unnecessary. It seems some people need to be unkind in order to feel better about themselves.

Thank you, pommom, for the for the helpful tip!

Honored Contributor

The point is masking odors is not what you need to worry about when you buy a used purse. Germs are, and they aren't killed by coffee.

Respected Contributor

I guarantee you that the merchandise you handle in stores and the packages you receive from home shopping networks have been handled by a myriad of people in order to process your order. I cannot think of any items found in public places such as a grocery store, church, hospital, the plate your waitstaff places on your table, the prescription that the pharmacist turns over to you, the books you or your children touch, your mail - ad infinitum - that haven't been touched by human hands.

To those that actually got the gist of my post - thanks! I'm loving my handbag. Just in time for fall and winter. Smile

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Contributor
I've bought $300 handbags on EBay for $50, and they are in beautiful condition... used... but beautiful. I also have two children serving in the military, and one that's a police officer. In this day and age, carrying a used handbag is the least of my worries! Enjoy your new bag pommom!