Honored Contributor

Dooney & Bourke Roxbury Watch

What do you think about the Dooney & Bourke Roxbury Watch that's new today (Sunday, 11/23)? I love it! So nautical! Great colors! Do you think men could wear this watch as well as women? I hope it's in the D&B show soon! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1} http://www.qvc.com/Dooney-&-Bourke-Roxbury-Watch.product.J318174.html?sc=J318174-WNEW&cm_sp=VIEWPOSI...

Respected Contributor

Re: Dooney & Bourke Roxbury Watch

At that price, the bracelet should be ceramic. (Never heard of an acetate bracelet. Is that the same as silicone?)
Honored Contributor

At that price, I assumed it was ceramic. That is too much money for an inexpensive, fashion watch. It's a $40 watch, at best.
Respected Contributor

EEL: it's a nice looking watch, but in my mind it's just a fashion watch. The specifications lead me to believe that the components of the watch were selected for looks alone. Just a few things that concern me: bracelet is acetate, not stainless steel or ceramic, material for the crystal over the dial is unspecified, no information on the origin of the movement. As a watch collector I look at all these details and evaluate the look of the watch against the price and quality of the components. For me, this watch doesn't pass.

Regarding your question on whether a man could wear the watch.... they say it runs large, but don't give bracelet lengths. My guess is that if his wrist was 7.5" or less, no problem. Larger than that ????. Maybe. But another concern is regarding the size of the case...1 1/2" diameter is about 37mm. That used to be a mens watch size. But now most men are wearing 44mm and greater sizes. It's a matter of personal style and taste. Many men still wear the smaller more classic size watch. Also the crystals on the dial and the name Dooney & Bourke on the dial may or may not be something a man would enjoy wearing. Again, personal style.

Honored Contributor

On 11/23/2014 chrystaltree said: At that price, I assumed it was ceramic. That is too much money for an inexpensive, fashion watch. It's a $40 watch, at best. What the heck is an acetste band????
Honored Contributor

Hi EEL! No experience with this watch, but did get a Dooney watch at a good price during last year's 12 Days... To be honest with you, this one doesn't do much for me and, like others, I think it's pricey for what it is... Personally, I'm sold on Issac's ceramic watches and think they're both better looking and a better deal...

Incidentally EEL, the good Mister is MOST concerned with this little foray of yours into watches... He fully anticipates installing a whole other bank of ovens, should this prove to be anything more than a minor flirtation...

{#emotions_dlg.biggrin} {#emotions_dlg.laugh} Wink

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

On 11/23/2014 lavenderjunkie said:

EEL: it's a nice looking watch, but in my mind it's just a fashion watch. The specifications lead me to believe that the components of the watch were selected for looks alone. Just a few things that concern me: bracelet is acetate, not stainless steel or ceramic, material for the crystal over the dial is unspecified, no information on the origin of the movement. As a watch collector I look at all these details and evaluate the look of the watch against the price and quality of the components. For me, this watch doesn't pass.

Regarding your question on whether a man could wear the watch.... they say it runs large, but don't give bracelet lengths. My guess is that if his wrist was 7.5" or less, no problem. Larger than that ????. Maybe. But another concern is regarding the size of the case...1 1/2" diameter is about 37mm. That used to be a mens watch size. But now most men are wearing 44mm and greater sizes. It's a matter of personal style and taste. Many men still wear the smaller more classic size watch. Also the crystals on the dial and the name Dooney & Bourke on the dial may or may not be something a man would enjoy wearing. Again, personal style.

Thank you so much for your detailed scrutiny of this new watch, LJ!! You bring up many things to check out and consider, which are extremely helpful. I do wonder about the origin of movement, which I hope will come out if this is presented in tonight's show. The more I look at it with the crystals, I don't think it's for some men, either. I guess it does appear it's a fashion watch, but I still like it enough to consider it. As a watch collector, I was hoping you would reply, and I thank you again for your thoughtful comments. Have a good evening, EEL Smile

Honored Contributor

I have an acetate watch from Ecclissi in navy. It was on QVC several years ago and the designer said acetate was the next "new" material for watches.

I love mine and wear it a lot. It is very sturdy. It's solid, not like silicone at all.

Honored Contributor

On 11/23/2014 stevieb said:

Hi EEL! No experience with this watch, but did get a Dooney watch at a good price during last year's 12 Days... To be honest with you, this one doesn't do much for me and, like others, I think it's pricey for what it is... Personally, I'm sold on Issac's ceramic watches and think they're both better looking and a better deal...

Incidentally EEL, the good Mister is MOST concerned with this little foray of yours into watches... He fully anticipates installing a whole other bank of ovens, should this prove to be anything more than a minor flirtation...

{#emotions_dlg.biggrin} {#emotions_dlg.laugh} Wink

Stevieb!!! Well, I learned a lot from LJ's response and yours, too. This IS a pricey watch, but I just like it! I hope to learn more if it's presented tonight. BTW, what is the deal with ceramic watches? I don't have a ceramic watch and have been worried to order one because I think they will be heavy to wear. Don't you have an Isaac ceramic watch if I'm remembering correctly? Does it flop around on your wrist due to the weight? Is it "noticable" (in feeling) on your wrist because of the weight? They are supposed to be super durable, right?

Holy cow, stevieb, no more ovens in this house!!! {#emotions_dlg.w00t} I am a bit of a wilting lily...

Honored Contributor

On 11/23/2014 terrier3 said:

I have an acetate watch from Ecclissi in navy. It was on QVC several years ago and the designer said acetate was the next "new" material for watches.

I love mine and wear it a lot. It is very sturdy. It's solid, not like silicone at all.

Oooohh, thanks, terrier3!! Question for you: does your acetate watch "stay put" on your wrist or does it flop around? I don't do well with "moving" watches. TIA for your help, EEL