Esteemed Contributor

I just watched a very interesting program on PBS about the Queen. my goodness, for a woman in her 80's, she sure keeps a busy schedule. but the thing that was so amusing to me was that no matter what the occasion or where she went, she always carried a small black patent leather purse. she always either carried it by hand or across the crook of her elbow, never on her shoulder. the only exception was a small gold colored bag they showed her carrying twice. she seems to have quite a simple, elegant style. as you could imagine, I'm sure she could afford to have anything in the world, yet prefers this small black bag. so many of us ( myself included, although not as much now as in the past) seem to be a little obsessed with having dozens of bags. and yet, this woman who could have anything, has such simple taste.

“All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.” St. Julian of Norwich
Esteemed Contributor

Re: no Dooneys for the Queen

Nice idea and your point is well made. I wish I could agree....but have you seen her jewels? She hardly has simple taste.
Respected Contributor

{#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}You can bet that simple patent handbag cost big bucks, at least made for her by a British company that the Crown has used as purveyors for centuries. Or a fly by night like Hermes.

Esteemed Contributor

On 11/16/2014 Goldengate8361 said: Nice idea and your point is well made. I wish I could agree....but have you seen her jewels? She hardly has simple taste.

ha! Goldengate8361, that's funny. but you know,on this program with the exception of her crown (which, OMG, is practically solid diamonds!), she only wore a pearl necklace, a pearl bracelet and a brooch. of course, I'm sure I could buy a castle with what those simple ( but beautiful) pieces cost.{#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

“All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.” St. Julian of Norwich
Esteemed Contributor

On 11/16/2014 maestra said:

{#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}You can bet that simple patent handbag cost big bucks, at least made for her by a British company that the Crown has used as purveyors for centuries. Or a fly by night like Hermes.

{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}. I'm sure you're right.

Honored Contributor

A big handbag would clash with her diamond encrusted tiaras...lol
Esteemed Contributor

She does, however, dress perfectly for her role as Queen. Generally, people rarely comment on her dress, etc. which is really high praise--given her public position. If she did anything wrong - literally anything- people would be posting it on Twitter and late night TV would be making jokes, etc. I'm sure it takes great skill to dress well in an unnoticeable way. (I hope I'm making this point clearly!)
Super Contributor

I doubt that she carries anything more than a handkerchief and a pair of glasses in her bag.

Honored Contributor

I can't imagine she'd carry a dooney with their logo plastered on the front of the bag. I's not enough the bag cost big bucks, we have to advertise for them too. I wouldn't buy the TSV because the logo was too obvious.

Super Contributor

On 11/16/2014 Goldengate8361 said: Nice idea and your point is well made. I wish I could agree....but have you seen her jewels? She hardly has simple taste.

The gaudy stuff is just for state occasions, and it's either been in the family for generations or it belongs to the state rather than the Queen in person. Or she wears something that was a gift from a visiting dignitary, when she meets him/her again. The staff keep detailed records and it's done very diplomatically.

When she's just chillin' at home, she likes tweeds and a headscarf. She doesn't wear a crown with her pajamas.