Contributor

Please post here if your GILI Milano handle broke

Hi, I'm wondering how many poster's have had broken handles on the GILI TSV Milano hobo bags. If this has happened to you, would you please post here and also list the color of the bag? Yesterday I loaded up, and I mean REALLY LOADED UP, my black one for a long day of college tailgating and football game last night, and it survived day one with me, lol. But I am worried about it breaking at some point. I don't usually carry the same bag daily. I'm honestly trying to see how widespread the handle hardware breakage problem is and wondering if I should just return both bags (the natural ostrich and the black) anyway, broken or not, before Jan 31. I truly love the look of both and want to keep them, but since I do switch out my bags almost every day, I may get stuck down the road with two defective bags past the return time. Anyway, I'm hoping to get some feedback to help me decide from ladies who put these bags through their paces daily. Thank you so much!!
Trusted Contributor

Re: Please post here if your GILI Milano handle broke

I bought the black also. This morning, I put in the purse organizer sold on QVC. I don't know if this bag could handle that organizer being fully loaded. I don't think it could. I like the bag but I don't think I'll ever put in more than my wallet and a few extras.

Super Contributor

Anything can break. If you're living in fear of it breaking so much that you're afraid to use it or afraid to put the things you need in it, you should return it. No handbag is worth the price if you don't use it.

You asked for posts about broken handles, but I want to say that I received mine on 10/29 and every day since I've had between 5-10 lbs in it hanging from a hook or doorknob. That's far more weight than I would carry daily.

Respected Contributor

I'm so glad I returned mine. It's just too cheaply made and looks cheap. I was so disappointed in my first and last G.I.L.I. handbag.

Honored Contributor

I agree with okie... Why tolerate all the angst. If you're that concerned, send it back...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Trusted Contributor

I received the brown croco last week and will load it up and wear it into work tomorrow to see how it holds up.

I'm not too crazy about the stiffness of the leather. the wavy zipper and don't like the fact that there are no metal "feet" on the bottom of the bag.

So, we'll see...I kept the carton and packing materials handy if I want to return...

Honored Contributor

I sent my black one back almost immediately. Am contemplating the chestnut croco for a little longer because I think it's so pretty. I never even considered keeping the black one and know I should probably just ship the remaining one and and be done with it...

Regular Contributor

I'm curious to see the responses to this thread. Reading the reviews it seems quite a few handles broke, but who knows how many that was out of the total lot that was sold.

I noticed that the GILI Madison Satchel has the exact same hardware, and none of the reviews mention the handles breaking, so I wonder if there were a batch of Milano's that have a workmanship issue, or what the deal is.

I worry too, and know I should return mine, but I'm having a hard time getting them in the box. The black has become my favorite bag.

Honored Contributor

On 11/9/2014 Bluegrassbaby said:
On 11/9/2014 stevieb said:

I sent my black one back almost immediately. Am contemplating the chestnut croco for a little longer because I think it's so pretty. I never even considered keeping the black one and know I should probably just ship the remaining one and and be done with it...

I've got so many bags that I 'thought I liked'...now I've got to love it, to keep it.

That's sort of where I'm at with it... I knew there was no love involved with the black, but with the croco, I love the looks, just not the functionality... and that means it too is likely to be returned.

As for the handles breaking relative to the satchel, I still think the strap on the Milano is too short for the size of the bag, which causes undue strain on the hardware, since the bag always seems to hang off kilter, and also because of the length, you constantly have to jostle the strap to get into the bag. Hmmm... putting it into words more of less seals the fate of this one... Too many options out there to keep this one.

Honored Contributor

I sent it to my 34 year old daughter. She likes it (big purses, go figure) but she thought that big tassle was crazy looking!

She said, "What am I supposed to do with this thing?" I said, "Lisa put it on there and it's supposed to be the latest and greatest".

She said, "I have friends who know 'the latest' (models) and I can tell you no one would walk around with that tassle hanging like that".

My take is , if you like the tassle, keep it. If not, get rid of it.